Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 EX with 55,000 miles

In a previous thread I related my intermittent starting problem and the response was generally it's a battery issue.

Well it was not a battery issue. I brought the CR-V to my local independent shop and explained my problem and the shop owner said immediately that it's the starter . He said that he does about one starter every 45 days on 4-6 year old CR-V's and Civics.
He also said that the dealer has half a dozen starters in stock.

So 55,000 miles in 5 years and the starter goes. The bill was $554 out the door with a new factory starter.

As far as I'm concerned the Honda reputation for reliability is B. S.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
I've owned Hondas for more than 20 years. Never had an starter or alternator go bad. I've had other parts go bad, and I expect this on an older model with a lot of miles on them.

But... statistically, it happens, as literally anything in a vehicle can fail and will fail... and not just on one vehicle in a model run.

I think you are being deliberately provocative and hyperbolic... probably because your particular vehicle let you down and cost you money. Thing is, unless you put this in the context of your total cost of ownership for your vehicle over time, it's just drama on your part.

As for your opinion on Honda reputation... Consumer Reports, and other reviewing organizations disagree with you and regularly put used Honda models on recommended buy. But of course, they do not expect vehicles to be zero defect either. Is Honda THE most reliable brand in the market? Nope. Is it consistently a good reliability brand over time? Yep.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I doubt Honda makes starters. Would you rather the dealer not have starters in stock?.....would you rather to have to wait for it on order? It's a machine built by humans and no machine is perfect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've owned Hondas for more than 20 years. Never had an alternator go bad. I've had other parts go bad, and I expect this on an older model with a lot of miles on them.

But... statistically, it happens, as literally anything in a vehicle can fail and will fail... and not just on one vehicle in a model run.

I think you are being deliberately provocative and hyperbolic... probably because your particular vehicle let you down and cost you money. Thing is, unless you put this in the context of your total cost of ownership for your vehicle over time, it's just drama on your part.

As for your opinion on Honda reputation... Consumer Reports, and other reviewing organizations disagree with you and regularly put used Honda models on recommended buy. But of course, they do not expect vehicles to be zero defect either. Is Honda THE most reliable brand in the market? Nope. Is it consistently a good reliability brand over time? Yep.
It was not an alternator but a starter. Yes parts fail, however 61 months and 55,000 miles is ridiculous.

·
Registered
359 Posts
As mentioned in your other post, an under charged battery, which is very common on CRVs, can cause starters and other components to fail prematurely.

I can't tell you if this is the exact cause of your starter failure, but it fits in with the common battery problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned in your other post, an under charged battery, which is very common on CRVs, can cause starters and other components to fail prematurely.

I can't tell you if this is the exact cause of your starter failure, but it fits in with the common battery problems.
You could be correct about the battery causing the problem with the starter.

If this is so it only emphasizes the point of Hondas reputation being B. S. because Honda has intentionally used a smaller battery then really should be in the car for years

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It's still a 12V electrical system.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That’s really weird, statistically. I have owned several cars during my 30 years behind the wheel, including one Soviet POS. Never had any starter issues ever.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s really weird, statistically. I have owned several cars during my 30 years behind the wheel, including one Soviet POS. Never had any starter issues ever.
I find that quite amusing because I lived in the Caribbean and I owned a Lada. I too did not have a starter problem. However I had to replace the entire engine with a Datsun engine after 40,000 kilometers

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I find that quite amusing because I lived in the Caribbean and I owned a Lada. I too did not have a starter problem. However I had to replace the entire engine with a Datsun engine after 40,000 kilometers
Heh, the engine was loud like a freight train. My uncle had one from the original run (‘71, I think) where all parts were supplied by FIAT and assembled in Russia. Did a lot of road tripping in it. No rear seat belts. It was running like a charm at half a million kilometers when it was totaled in a crash. Sorry about the thread hijack, OP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts