Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All.

We have a 2007 CRV AWD leather nav w/ 80,000 miles and it has intermittent & predictable Immobilizer problems.
I'm stumped. dealer is stumped, HondaLine is guessing. any input welcomed.
here are the symptoms:
there is a dichotomy, one of 2 scenarios happens every time.

1. approach the car. unlock with fob. insert the key in the ignition, start the car. all works as it should.
2. if the car has been run (even just for a few feet) and stopped, for the next 15 minutes, the fob will not lock or unlock; the key will start the car, but it will only run for 1 second, and die, and the Immob idiot light (green key) will flash about 10 times.

scenario 2 will happen over & over again - ie. key start die, key start die for about 15 minutes. then it will work as in #1.

here is what has been done:
1. i swore at it. no change
2. i tried all 3 keys no change
3. (!) i replaced the batteries (after 9 years) no change
4. into the shop. we have an immob issue - tell my long sad story.
5. you need a new battery sir. no i don't. yes you do. it will probably fix it. ok fine. install a new battery.
6. still doesn't work sir. we think it's the immobilizer, a new immobilizer will fix it. well duh. ok install a new Immob.
7. still doesn't work sir. Hondaline says you need a new fuse box. fuse box? fine replace the fuse box.
8. still doesn't work sir. tech is on the phone with Hondaline & they say it's the PCM(?) - the Brains of the car. we can swap one out of another car to see if that works. ok fine. i'm only buying what I need.

that's where it stands. waiting.

ANYBODY EVER had immobilizer issues similar? the CRV (Boog) has basically given us 80,000+ flawless miles. pretty bummed about this head-scratcher.

appreciate any feedback.

thanks.

Boog's dad.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Almost sounds like a reverse remote start that stops the car running. Bizarre. Any anti theft or remote start device ever fitted to this car? Genuine or otherwise? If so I'd remove it.
When it refuses to run, do you hear the fuel pump?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the immobilizer is functioning as it should. key in / turn / all dash lights come on / fuel pump whines / turn to start / starts / dies in 1 sec / Immob light flashes 10 times. it's just that i am not a bad guy. i'm just trying to start my car.

Update: heard from the dealer today. now they have replaced the battery, the Immobilizer, fuse box & the PCM. no change. they are totally stumped.

here's my thought: we have a "big Brother" from the insurance company plugged into the on-board diagnostics port. we just upgraded to a "bigger brother" not too long ago. not positive of the timing, but i am suspicious. especially since I called the Insurance agent who said "oh gosh, we have NEVER HEARD of anything like that happening". I instructed the service manager to remove the Bigger Brother. we'll see. i had taken it out before, but only briefly. we'll leave it out for a while.

still bummed.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
any other Aftermarket accessories you have installed? Looks like your'e on the right track that Unit from the Insurance could be messing with the Immobilizer. Unplug it & then do a hard reset to clear all of the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow. thanks guys. I use Allstate's device, but it looks as though the problem was not limited to Progressive. hence i am even more suspiciouser. I'm sure Honda is going to charge me for a battery i probably didn't really need - meh...would replace it someday. and for the new immobilizer. and for diagnostic time for the swapped Fuse Box & PCM. i'm hopeful it's under $1000. think i might contact insurance agent & ask them to pick up the tab if the removal & reset is the fix. we've been without the car for a week as well. I'd hate to have to go to the BBB, State Insurance commissioner, and every fricking website on the planet to spread the word......but i will.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any other Aftermarket accessories you have installed? Looks like your'e on the right track that Unit from the Insurance could be messing with the Immobilizer. Unplug it & then do a hard reset to clear all of the system.
boy. no. we keep a few tools & a couple grocery bags in the back. other than that, everything is stock Honda OEM came on day one. hard reset? i'm sure the Honda Shop will know what the protocol is....could you enlighten me?

thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boy. no. we keep a few tools & a couple grocery bags in the back. other than that, everything is stock Honda OEM came on day one. hard reset? i'm sure the Honda Shop will know what the protocol is....could you enlighten me?

thanks.
just looked up "Honda CRV Hard Reset". quite amusing. very technical procedure.
1. Unhook both leads to the battery.
2. touch them together for 10 minutes.

even I can do this!

all this high tech stuff....... "system re-boot" means turn it off, then on.
:-D
I'm going to go re-boot the light in the bathroom & power cycle the water faucet......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts