Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving in Pennsylvania yesterday, I encountered an unusual problem.
The temperature was 32⁰ F, and it was snowing. I started driving east on Highway 80, at normal speed.
After being on the road for about an hour, the display indicated that the radar wasn’t working,and certain functions were disabled. I continued driving,and about an hour later, I noticed that my vehicle began to slow down, and when I depressed the gas pedal there was no response. 55-60 mph was the fastest I could go.
A moment later, the display indicated that the engine was running poorly (I can’t remember the wording of the message).
I stopped at the next rest stop, and found that the front grill was entirely covered by ½ inch of soft ice. It took 5 minutes to remove all the ice, and after that, the vehicle ran normally for the rest of the trip, and the temperature began to rise a few degrees while the snow continued.
Was the engine starved of air when the grill was entirely covered by snow?
Is there anything unique about my vehicle’s performance?
Is this a common occurrence for my CR-V model?
I’ve done a lot of winter driving in other vendor vehicles, and have never experienced similar issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have experienced this in Pennsylvania, too, although I don't think the state is causing the problem with my '17 Touring. Wet snow packs on the front radar transceiver, blocking it. Stopping and clearing the buildup provides a temporary solution. Honda should heat the sensor to keep it above freezing. Standard cruise will work.

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
The way that ice/snow can stop these systems has been well documented already here. It affects most perhaps all brands of cars.
The other issue sounds like the active grill system issue that has been reported here to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts