Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over a year of research, I'm finally getting ready to place an order for a CR-V EX-L. I like the looks of the tailgate spoiler and the functionality of the front splash guards, but being that I tend to keep my cars for many years and live in the rust belt of Ohio, I'm concerned about whether installing these options could hasten the onslaught of rust. (I would probably have the installation performed by the dealer, since I don't think I could bear to drill into my new car.) Also, I'm curious about whether the tailgate spoiler has any impact on gas mileage.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Splash Guard is Straightforward

As far as the front splash guard, you do not need to drill any additional holes. you simply unscrew the existing ones and align the splash guard and put back the same screws. I did mine without any problem. However, I don't know about the tailgate spoiler. By the way, congratulation on your future purchase!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll forget the dealer adds...

Thanks for the info about the splash guards. Sounds like I might as well save a few scarce bucks (since it doesn't sound like the dealers are knocking much off MSRP) and order & install the splash guards (if not the tailgate spoiler) myself. I originally included the all season floormats when requesting a quote, but noticed that the dealer had added $27 to their cost...for installation?! I'll just pick them up at the parts counter or order them online, thank you very much. In fact, the dealer's heavy markup led me to delete the Auto Day/Night Mirror ($465!) and Backup Sensors from my order too. I appreciate your best wishes and hope you're happy with your CR-V.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since you are in Ohio look at the following website: Genuine Honda Accessories, News, and Information from College Hills Honda

College Hills Honda is located in Wooster (don't know if this is in your part of the state or not). I have ordered my roof rack and floor mats from them and had no problems. I have also ordered parts from H and A which is a supporter of this forum and also had no problems. I belive H and A is out of California. Either one provides good quick and products for reaosonable prices. I would look at these outfits when ordering your extras instead of buying them straight from the dealer, you will save alot of money this way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great DIY Info!

Thanks so much for the great information and link to the DIY videos. I watched several of them to get a feel for how much is involved and learned that the Auto Day/Night mirror installation is more involved than I realized, so I can see (at least to a degree) why the dealer wanted to tack on $143 for installation. And as much as I love the looks of the tailgate spoiler, I'm having second thoughts about puncturing the factory finish and introducing a potential entry point for corrosion. Dang...sure wish you could get it installed at the factory while it's being built. Well, at least I know where to order my all-weather floor mats and splash guards, as well as other add-ons if I get braver after the newness wears off. (Still getting quotes from several dealers, so haven't placed my order yet.) BTW, I'm about 3 hours from Wooster, OH. Live in Springboro; work in Dayton.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've put both on and love them...

I can't answer your question about the potential for rust but I live in MA and so it could happen here as well. Read this post (http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t2272/), it shows the accessories I installed (including the ones you mentioned) plus some others. I bought them all from H&A and was very happy with the quality. I ended up having most of it installed at an auto-body shop across the street from my work for $100. It was a great deal considering they did it in less than a day and I'm sure would have taken me much longer. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mjolnier,

I see that you installed both the Honda roof rack and a moonroof/visor wind deflector. I've read some complaints about a wind-whistle noise from folks who have installed the OEM roof rack.

I was wondering if wind-whistle noise might be diminished/eliminated because the moonroof wind deflector lifts the air over the crossrails...Comments?

·
Registered
23 Posts
a little wind noise...

It makes a little more wind noise but it's not the end of the world. I usually have the radio turned up anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
After over a year of research, I'm finally getting ready to place an order for a CR-V EX-L. I like the looks of the tailgate spoiler and the functionality of the front splash guards, but being that I tend to keep my cars for many years and live in the rust belt of Ohio, I'm concerned about whether installing these options could hasten the onslaught of rust. (I would probably have the installation performed by the dealer, since I don't think I could bear to drill into my new car.) Also, I'm curious about whether the tailgate spoiler has any impact on gas mileage.
.....re: the possibility of water getting in the new holes.... when you take off the little black plastic caps on either corner of the tailgate (where the spoiler attaches w/ newly drilled holes) you first see that there is already a hole there where the black plastic cap pops in..... the black plastic cap has nothing on it to help seal out water, sludge, salty spray etc. so it has to go on down into the tailgate somewhere, maybe there is a drain but I don't see one. Anyway, the spolier itself has a large foam rubber gasket that pretty much seals all around itself, effectively sealing up the newly drilled holes for the spoiler plus sealing the existing hole where the black plastic cap pops on. IMHO this should greatly reduce any amount of water entering the inside of the tailgate. Dont forget to use the touch-up paint to cover the new holes.
I also was leery about drilling holes in new sheet metal etc., but after watching the video mentioned elsewhere in this thread I felt I could do it and, I was right. The drilling part was no problem w/ the supplied template. just follow the instructions and it should be very straight forward. And, as I posted in another thread, H and A was more than helpful.
.... re: the roof rack and wind noise, I installed that maybe a month or so after getting the vehicle and I don't notice any particular wind noise but maybe I am so used to it now...
Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
None of the accessories are installed when they build the car; all of them are put at the dealer.

I love my spoiler, makes my car looks nicer and sportier. it doesn't weight much to make the MPG suffer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is not the weight. It is the change in aerodynamic with the spoiler that would effect the mileage.

From what I read the spoiler as designed is only for looks and does nothing to improve keeping the rear glass clean. If this is true the effect on MPG is probably not positive. The spoiler is just for those with an artistic eye. Or lots of testosterone! :D

-Rg

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
nope, just artistic and full of testoterone......ok fine, I own a razor and shave it to avoid embarrassment, there, you happy now!~?:D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Dali rocks!

You guys never met Dali or Picasso?

That is some wild art!
Don't you love the melting clocks? I wish I could find the picture by Dali I have in mind...a really famous one.

I will have to ask my daughter for the name. She has a book on his art.

-Rg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts