Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings;

I am contemplating buying a Tailgate Spoiler for my CRV from Pennsylvania.
Have any of you northern inhabitants attempted to import parts such as this from the USA?
Could you share what to expect in the way of freight, duties, taxes and other expenses to consider when calculating a cost for comparison to a local dealer's price?

Thanks for your time and knowledge,:)

late08 (new member)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose this may be a good thread in which to partially answer my own question.

In case you didn't know.

Browsing these boards found me interested in a product named Grit Guard.

http://www.gritguard.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=20

A screen for the wash bucket. $9 bucks sounded OK. Shipping was about $16. So I figured what the heck, I'll get a couple of them. I couldn't locate such an item in Canada. :)

Grit Guards 19.98
Freight 15.69

Canadian$ by paypal $39.61 not too bad? :(

Delivered by UPS add $22.11

$61.72......not too good!!!! :mad:

Anyways she's a done deal and ruined by UPS' brokerage fee and Canadian delivery arrangements. These charges seemed transparent when trying to estimate the landed cost.

My spoiler is being shipped by USPS to Canada Post. I am hoping this is a more wallet friendly approach. :confused: Stay tuned.

late08

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi;
Update on the spoiler.
The unit was shipped USPS, took a couple weeks to get to my door in Victoria.
The box indicated "Made in China" so an import duty of 6% was added:eek:. That brought my costs to the Canada Post and 'Revenuers' up to $52.15 Canadian, added to the US part price, plus shipping, plus $US exchange, and Pay Pals fee.
Still ended up close to $100 Ca. less than the dealer wanted here.:)

Hope this helps make up your mind if you are considering the same thing.

late08

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does it matter where is it actually manufactured?
I thought that you are paying duty depending where are you importing from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it matter where is it actually manufactured?
I thought that you are paying duty depending where are you importing from.
Apparently it does.

To do with the NAFTA agreement, USA and Mexican manufacture can cross the border duty free, unlike other countries manufactured products.

This as I understand it. It would be best to verify it yourself.

late08

·
Registered
54 Posts
US shipping to Canada

Import stuff all the time from USA, but always have it shipped to Pt Roberts, Washington as I live in Tsawwassen. Company there that takes delivery for me is called TSB Shipping Plus, they receive any item and you are charged based on weight, $3.00 for most items but bought 4 x tires this month and paid $6.00 x 4=$24.00 You can find them at www.tsbshipping.com check them out. Now I will admit that this solution might not help you, but most shipping within the US is a lot cheaper than shipping from the US to Canada. If this solution works better for you just pop over on the ferry and drive to Pt Roberts and then pay only taxes back into Canada. If you have to come over to Vancouver at some time, plan to buy your US item and delivery to fit into the visit for pick up. Just a thought, hope it helps.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Importing from the USA

late08, In reply to your query.. the best situation to save on the duties/taxes, will be to order the part in the US and have it delivered to a US address if you know someone.. plan to take a drive when you go for a short visit/vacation and you will maximize the benefit.. none of these B.S duties and crazy taxes that we pay in Canada...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi fellows;

No doubt that's the ticket.

By the time I factor in the cost of the boss going to IKEA, plus the ferry fares............the custom and duties pale by comparison! Ha ha. :D

I read a thread from some on the east side who were doing the same thing, very successfully. Unfortunately I have no one on the mainland I'd feel comfortable about imposing on.

I hope someone can use the information from this to decide on how they wish to "buy"

Thanks for the response and ideas.

late08

·
Registered
22 Posts
USPS mail FTW. I only buy from the US if they mail to Canada with USPS. Your experience with the duty on China sourcing is a bit of an exception. Canada customs tends to charge GST at the value declared on the form + $8 (recently) brokerage. Way better than when UPS handles things.

There are a few sellers like Tire Rack and Turner Motorsport that handle the brokerage costs even though UPS delivers the goods, but you need to make sure you are selecting this option. It's good there are sellers who offer this since large items like tires, wheels, suspension, brakes can be too expensive to mail. It seems like Tire Rack got a pricing break from UPS.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Canada import duties and taxes

How do you Canadians make enough to get by never mind buy Spoilers?

Everything seems to be double the cost if you have to import and Canada cannot possibly make everything needed for Canadian consumption. Except maybe beer! :D

For instance the vehicles made in Canada by Honda and Toyota for sale in the US, how can they be competitive with the same made in US for sale in US?

Or is the problem only importing into Canada? Actually

I bought an item from Montreal and after about a month it showed up at my door in New Hampshire. About the size of a 1/4 liter rectangular drink container via the USPS 1st class mail equivalent in Canada. It cost me over twice of what the item cost. It weighed less than .15 kg. The same item in the US would have cost about 65% as much but would have taken 2-4 days traveling the same distance via USPS instead of a month.

I cannot buy anything from Canada and have it be competitive.

The only reason I bought it from Canada was I found a NOS item rarely found in new condition in the original box. And over 40 years out of production.

Just curious

-RG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Everything seems to be double the cost if you have to import and Canada cannot possibly make everything needed for Canadian consumption. Except maybe beer! :D

For instance the vehicles made in Canada by Honda and Toyota for sale in the US, how can they be competitive with the same made in US for sale in US?

I bought an item from Montreal and after about a month it showed up at my door in New Hampshire. About the size of a 1/4 liter rectangular drink container via the USPS 1st class mail equivalent in Canada. It cost me over twice of what the item cost. It weighed less than .15 kg. The same item in the US would have cost about 65% as much but would have taken 2-4 days traveling the same distance via USPS instead of a month.

I cannot buy anything from Canada and have it be competitive.

The only reason I bought it from Canada was I found a NOS item rarely found in new condition in the original box. And over 40 years out of production.

Just curious

-RG

Everything seems to be double the cost if you have to import and Canada cannot possibly make everything needed for Canadian consumption. Except maybe beer!
:D

Speaking for myself............I make my own beer, think of all the money I saved from going to the revenuer's, and spend it on "spoilers" :D

IMHO, with the screen of things like "metric" conversion; regulations written as they see fit; currency exchange rates; "alarmist" media hype (the world is ending); carbon footprint (keep it green); market manipulation, plus a bevy of other smoke and mirrors, the politicians, bankers, lawyers and their monie'd associates manage to control border costs so we all pay extra.
It seems the deal must be very good to actually be worthwhile dollar wise. As must be your luck, so returns are not needed.

In fairness I should think that this all helps keeping our business at "home", as it were.

Try browsing a common brand store's website to compare the .com sites from the .ca sites. I bet you are surprised.

It is too bad that the hard to find articles end up costing us so much more that they are really worth.

OOOP's I think I just heard my soapbox cracking, :D:D

late08

·
Registered
14 Posts
shipping

I buy things all the time from the states. I will always ask the company I am buying from if they will mark it as a commercial sample or as a gift and I make sure its delivered by USPS. If they cant do this for me I take my business elsewhere to a company that will. This works very well for smaller packages.
Canadians shipping things into Canada from the States are well advised to stay away from UPS as they are rip off con men charging very high brokerage fees over and above the customs ,duty,gst and provincial taxes you will end up paying.
Ive had it happen to me once where an item costing $20 ended up being over $100. Never again.
You,ve been warned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I buy things all the time from the states. I will always ask the company I am buying from if they will mark it as a commercial sample or as a gift and I make sure its delivered by USPS. If they cant do this for me I take my business elsewhere to a company that will. This works very well for smaller packages.
Canadians shipping things into Canada from the States are well advised to stay away from UPS as they are rip off con men charging very high brokerage fees over and above the customs ,duty,gst and provincial taxes you will end up paying.
Ive had it happen to me once where an item costing $20 ended up being over $100. Never again.
You,ve been warned.

:) Well put! :)

late08

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just adding the 2 cents worth here. Living in Saskatchewan relatively close to the Montana border, we shop on both sides of the border. Some things are cheaper than here in SK, Canada but not always buy the time you add duty, GST, PST etc.
However things the really make no sense are products Made In Canada like Bombardier ATVs, and some vehicles that sell for thousands of dollars less 2 hours away in Montana. That's when you know things aren't right.
Agree with others, stay away from UPS when buying in USA and always use USPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts