Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I just joined the forum. Never owned a CR-V in the past but have always been curious about them. I have been building older CRX's and Civics since I was a lad and now with kid number 2 on the way need a vehicle like this.

After looking locally for about a year and seeing nothing but overpriced junk that are miled out I started to think outside the box. I noticed all the Japanese vehicles being imported around my town ( my neighbor owns a import company ) and to my surprise the CR-V started production in Japan in 1995. For those who don;t know we can only import 15 year old and older vehicles from overseas.

Now an older one around Edmonton here on average have 300,000 - 400,000 Km's on them and still sell for roughly $5000.00 area.

After looking at some in Japan seeing an average of 80,000 - 100,000 Km's on a 15 year old vehicle. Average price ( even after factoring in export / import costs and paying someone to do everything for me ) I was seeing about the same price or less locally!

Can this be right I asked myself ? Buy one here with high mileage, rusty, and worn out in every way you can think of. Or option number 2 buy one in Japan with under 100,000 Km's, no rust, and by the looks never seen anything but a dry paved road ???

Long story short for under $5000.00 I now own a mint condition 1995 Honda CR-V with under 30,000 documented kilometers for under $5000.00 :D:D:D

Let me know what you all think please ( pics below ):

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the displeasure of reading that junk too. Bottom line is that new dealers feel threatened with imported vehicles taking away from their sales and spread propaganda like that to discourage buyers from shipping outside the inflated Canadian market.

I for one will not fall for that trash ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
I just don't think i could get used to driving on the right side!! I could forsee some obstacles such as trying to pass on the highway, not being bale to see around the semi truck in front of ya!! Looks like a beaut though!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Since you haven’t had the pleasure of driving a RHD vehicle yet you may be pleasantly surprised to find, as I did, that there really isn’t that much of a difference as you might expect. In fact, there are even some surprising advantages:

a. Passing on a 2 lane highway: It is incumbent on the driver of a vehicle to operate safely under all conditions. Something to keep in mind is that the drive of a RHD vehicle is only 18 to 24” to the right of the driver of a LHD car. Rarely does this present a problem, as the ability to see past a vehicle for passing is a function of how far (or how closely) the rear vehicle is following.

Depending on terrain and curves, it is very feasible to see past the slower vehicle sufficiently far ahead by looking on the right side of the vehicle. Or by falling far enough back, it is possible to see far enough ahead to safely pull over to the left to see far enough ahead to pass safely. If this cannot be done safely, passing should not be performed.

As you know, being unable to pass safely is experienced all the time in LHD vehicles, and so drivers should patiently wait until doing so. The same holds for RHD drivers, many of whom are not in a particular hurry (I’m thinking of Delicas, MiniTrucks, Kei cars, and numerous others that are not purchased for their power and handling qualities. Regardless of what kind of a vehicle is being operated, an impatient driver does not become more or less dangerous because of the nature of the vehicle, but rather the nature of his mind-set.

b. Parallel parking on the right curb in a RHD vehicle is identical to parking on the left side of a one-way street in a LHD vehicle. Or, in your view, is parking on the left side of a one-way street in a RHD vehicle inherently unsafe? In all cases, a driver will shoulder check, use mirrors, and wait for a safe break in the traffic. Nobody is going to risk an accident because he can’t wait for a safe opening – it just doesn’t happen regardless of the side of the vehicle they are driving from.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I had the displeasure of reading that junk too. Bottom line is that new dealers feel threatened with imported vehicles taking away from their sales and spread propaganda like that to discourage buyers from shipping outside the inflated Canadian market.

I for one will not fall for that trash ;)
These articles were written by a driving instructor.

The last thing we as car dealers are threatened by is the importation of RHD vehicles or vehicles of any kind that will carry no warranty of any kind.

We talk about alot a things at our weekly meetings at my dealership.....And imported 15 year old cars isn't one of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These articles were written by a driving instructor.

The last thing we as car dealers are threatened by is the importation of RHD vehicles or vehicles of any kind that will carry no warranty of any kind.

We talk about alot a things at our weekly meetings at my dealership.....And imported 15 year old cars isn't one of them.
No these articles were interviews of a representative of CADA http://www.cada.ca/

To learn some truth about this topic go to http://forum.ivoac.ca/ :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have seen countless JDM cars around the LMD and have seen many up close through my Toyota MR2 club. All of them have one thing in common... they are complete pieces of sh*t!

Remember that these "low mileage" cars with 50,000km are idling in slow moving or stationary traffic in Japan due to their severe traffic congestion. So that 50k mind as well be 350k as idling your car for long periods is NOT good. Doesn't anyone wonder why Japanese people get rid of their cars after only 50k km??? Think about that. Are they all richer than us and can afford a new car every 3 years or is it all relative and their 50k equates to 350k here? They are getting rid of them because those cars have had it. They still look good on the outside but more often than not their engines are shot. Every imported MR2 I have seen needed the same kind of axle part (can't remember which part).

Also remember if they are selling these cars here for say, $5000, how much do you think they paid for them??? And factor in shipping that vehicle here in a boat which can't be cheap. To make a profit they must be paying about $3000 total including shipping.

I would NEVER in a million years own a JDM car. They are JUNK... no offense to you JDM CRV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen countless JDM cars around the LMD and have seen many up close through my Toyota MR2 club. All of them have one thing in common... they are complete pieces of sh*t!

Remember that these "low mileage" cars with 50,000km are idling in slow moving or stationary traffic in Japan due to their severe traffic congestion. So that 50k mind as well be 350k as idling your car for long periods is NOT good. Doesn't anyone wonder why Japanese people get rid of their cars after only 50k km??? Think about that. Are they all richer than us and can afford a new car every 3 years or is it all relative and their 50k equates to 350k here? They are getting rid of them because those cars have had it. They still look good on the outside but more often than not their engines are shot. Every imported MR2 I have seen needed the same kind of axle part (can't remember which part).

Also remember if they are selling these cars here for say, $5000, how much do you think they paid for them??? And factor in shipping that vehicle here in a boat which can't be cheap. To make a profit they must be paying about $3000 total including shipping.

I would NEVER in a million years own a JDM car. They are JUNK... no offense to you JDM CRV
Obviously you have zero knowledge of what your talking about. I won't waste my breath showing people where ALL your points are misinformed. I would not know where to begin in reality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also in case anyone was wondering, this vehicle is now sitting in my garage. I brought the car in for a out of province inspection at a local stealership and they could not find one thing wrong with it. The mechanic doing the inspection was taking pictures and in amazement for the year it was in that kind of condition. Compression across the board was neat new as I'm told and the undercarriage looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good Score JDM CRV! Not sure I could get use to the RHD myself, but it looks like you got a clean vehicle, a great price and something unique!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Score JDM CRV! Not sure I could get use to the RHD myself, but it looks like you got a clean vehicle, a great price and something unique!
Thanks! Curious though why you think you could not get used to it ? Have you ever tried it ? Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in countries like Russia, Australia, Germany, Japan, UK, Africa, etc. co-exist with LHD and RHD traffic, but in Canada we're not capable of such a thing ? :confused:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts