Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As long as YOU are happy with your vehicle that's all that really matters... no matter what the actual condition of you car is.

Just curious though... why are JDM cars worth so little with such low mileage??
Well if you have ever been to Japan you would understand this. The reason why they have such low mileage is for a few reasons:

1. Toll roads costs a lot! Picture going from point A to point B and paying $75.00 in toll roads plus gas, parking, etc. When you can just take the train for $2.50...
2. The advanced subway system they have makes going anywhere a lot faster than driving. Why drive for 1 hour in tight traffic when you can get there is 15 minutes ?
3. Fuel is very expensive along with parking.
4. Not too many places to go in the city centers. In some less developed Prefectures a different story, but even there not space like you will see here. a cross country road trip there is like driving across a province or state here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now for cost:

A car that is only five years old in Japan is worth only 30% of its original value on the domestic market, and a car 7 years old is worth a mere 16%! This is why the opportunity for us exists to import cars. So why is it this way?
Well, in Japan cars are sold to their owners with "shaken", a combination of safety inspection, compulsory insurance, proof of parking space, weight tax and vehicle tax that is valid for three years. To renew ’shaken’ is costly (an average of about 2000 dollars) and is also time consuming. It involves putting the car through meticulous inspection process as well as having to replace even slightly worn parts and prove things such as proof of parking permit (because space is limited) etc. This lasts you 2 years, then it’s the same again until you buy a new car…

For the owner, "shaken" and government taxes make regular new cars an economical proposition and in the competitive Japanese market dealerships provide customers with further incentives to return their current cars as trade ins. So, when the ’shaken’ expires after 3, 5, 7 or 9 years most cars are traded. The lack of domestic demand for second hand, leaves dealers holding a lot good quality second hand cars. Low demand & a high endless supply, force these cars to be sold cheaply at auction - in fact very cheaply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have seen countless JDM cars around the LMD and have seen many up close through my Toyota MR2 club. All of them have one thing in common... they are complete pieces of sh*t!

Remember that these "low mileage" cars with 50,000km are idling in slow moving or stationary traffic in Japan due to their severe traffic congestion. So that 50k mind as well be 350k as idling your car for long periods is NOT good. Doesn't anyone wonder why Japanese people get rid of their cars after only 50k km??? Think about that. Are they all richer than us and can afford a new car every 3 years or is it all relative and their 50k equates to 350k here? They are getting rid of them because those cars have had it. They still look good on the outside but more often than not their engines are shot. Every imported MR2 I have seen needed the same kind of axle part (can't remember which part).

Also remember if they are selling these cars here for say, $5000, how much do you think they paid for them??? And factor in shipping that vehicle here in a boat which can't be cheap. To make a profit they must be paying about $3000 total including shipping.

I would NEVER in a million years own a JDM car. They are JUNK... no offense to you JDM CRV
So you seen a few tuner cars that were beat up and assume everything from Japan is the same ? You did know MR-2's are commonly used for drifting, correct ? Have you seen a north American drift car and what kind of condition those are in ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll never buy another rhd import again. Somewhat of a hassle driving. And they are all taken care of poorly for the most part. Most likely because of the depreciating value reasons stated above.

I just got a 2002 ex-l for $6000 with 89,000 in EXCELLENT condition inside out.

I found a set of 1997 wheels to buy for my winter wheels and mounted winter tires onto them. The person I bought them from was somebody who imported a Crv that they wouldn't fit as his Jdm bolt pattern was different.

I asked him how much he paid and he told me $5500 for his 1996 with 50,000km.
Paint peeling, bad finish, but runs good.

I think my deal was much better.

Almost every Jdm import I've seen looks like a 200,000km vehicle in good shape. Not a 50,000 km vehicle in good shape.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts