Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I talked to a couple of car audio guys, one says to upgrade the tweeters and mid-bass up front only and that should be a marked improvement over the OEM. Another person said that I could go with a power-pack (45 watt amp), or, of course, do both.

Anyone swap out just the speakers? Speakers are Hertz Energy 2-way components btw. Suggestions/Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just purchased a 2014 CR-V with the intention of replacing the stock audio gear with what I've had in my previous car.
Head unit, 6" Splits up front (woofer/mid bass & tweeter), 6" 3 ways in rear, Sub in boot (may have to redesign the box to fit CR-V) and 2 amps running all this.

As far as what you should do, it's up to you. New quality splits in the front would definitely be better than the stock speakers but if their still being fed by the stock receiver/head unit then they may not make much improvement.

Start at the receiver. A better receiver will then deliver better quality sound to the speakers and better quality speakers will deliver better sound to your ears.

If your unable to upgrade everything at once, gradually replace the stock gear when you can. But start with the receiver.
No use putting poor quality sound through good quality speakers, no great benefit from your hard earned cash.
Be sure to try and future proof your purchases. ie. If your happy with the receiver running your speakers (most receivers/head units run 4 x 50 Watts which in real world terms is much less than 50 Watts) then find some that are happy running at low Wattage.
If you are keen to add amps at a later date be sure those speakers can handle the extra wattage the amps will deliver.

Ideally go for a new receiver/head unit and front splits. Your up front, and that's where the you want the better quality sound.

I'm no expert on car audio but installed it in my last car and learnt as I went. I do enjoy good quality sound but I'm very selfish with my music and listen to it with my windows up.

Decisions, decisions
Good luck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What year, model, etc. are you talking about? It does make a bit of a difference.
What are you willing to spend?
What are you used to listening to regarding quality audio vs factory crap?

I have a '12 V LX and started with just a pair of JL Audio coaxials in the front doors...not enough power out of the factory "radio"...next was a small JL Audio amp that they generally used for motorcycles, etc. Sounded much better but not much bass at all.
Said the hell with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I replaced the head unit and speakers, added a much better amp and a sub...see my signature for details. Now I have a system that plays loud like I like when I like and the clarity, sound stage and bass are great. Probably dropped a bit over $1500 with labor and harnesses, etc.
I'm used to a nice sound system in my vehicles and have since my first car in '73 and every car I ever owned. So dropping a bit of money for a quality system is well worth it for my tastes.

Before you start bit and piecing things take some time, think about what you'd like your system to sound like it then start researching and learning. Your money will be better spent and the end result will be a system you enjoy all the time.
Good luck and keep us informed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts