Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I've been fighting Honda about the oil/fuel issue for about a year. In the winter, it's obvious my CRV has the issue - I make many short trips to the bus stop, etc and the car never warms up. The dealership called Tech-Line on two different occasions and was told there was nothing that could be done. I opened two cases with Honda Corporate and was rudely told the same thing. As a last ditch effort, I opened an arbitration case with The National Center for Dispute Settlement (http://www.ncdsusa.org) at the suggestion of the Better Business Bureau. (BBB doesn't handle complaints for Honda.)

That prompted Honda to reach out to me with an offer. After discussions with Honda, I agreed to drop my arbitration case if they performed the fix - since that is all I've wanted from the beginning. I even told them I'm ok if the fix doesn't solve the problem - at least you are trying to remedy the situation which would satisfy me for a while. Honda rep said he needed to talk to a few more people and would call me back with instructions on how it would work. 4 hours later, he reversed his position and said there is no fix for my VIN. He said Honda will let the arbitration process play out. I am sure that means I will lose!

He told me if I let my CRV warm up every time I drove it, I wouldn't have the issue. I told him that sounds like a defective engine design and since the owner's manual doesn't say I have to do that - Honda needs to fix my CRV. In addition, the owner's manual says to check the engine oil at every fuel fill - and since the level is above where it should be - there is a defect. Their position is that if there are no check engine DTC codes - there is nothing that needs to be fixed.

So my hearing is in a couple of weeks - it's a document only hearing meaning I won't be in attendance (my choice). I have provided them with all of my service repair orders from the dealership which have the issue documented from the Honda technicians point of view - higher than normal oil volume, smells like gasoline, black. I also have it documented by the dealership that oil volume increased from the middle of the dipstick to above the top mark since last oil change - which still has 80% oil life left on maintenance minder.

Just figured I'd share my story. What I need is a lawyer who can write a letter on my behalf demanding that Honda either fix the car, provide oil changes every 3-4 months for as long as I own the car or just buy it back from me.

My family has been loyal Honda/Acura owners since the mid 90s - based on this experience, this will be my last Honda. I really like the CRV - but since Honda has chosen to take this position - I'm done with them. I have an 8 year Honda Care warranty. Once the warranty expires, I will sell the CRV and buy something from a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Another fine example of terrific Honda customer service! Hey at least you got Honda to respond back to you on your oil diluter. I opened a case with them on January 8'th and they haven't bothered to follow-up even after I called them twice. This is my last foray into Honda.

Let us know how your arbitration case goes. I'm still considering filing a Lemon Law case in WI. I have until April to do that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What a fiasco. I cannot understand why American Honda has chosen such a different approach than Honda Canada. In Canada they are "fixing" all CR-Vs and have issued 3 official Press Releases. In fact, as an example of good customer relations, a Canadian staying in Florida for the winter got a Florida dealership to "fix" his car there after seeing the high oil level following his drive south. In contrast American Honda treats you like this! I guess they don't care as long as people keep buying them.

FWIW when I first downloaded the Owner's Manual for my 2018 it stated that oil over the full line damages the engine. However after the Consumer Reports article they edited the Manual saying that it is ok to have oil over the full line. No mention of how much overfull is ok in either the manual or the video they provided. This just covers their rears very well, nothing more. I guess any amount of dilution is ok until lights come on!!!! Geeesh...

I suggest you get an oil sample and send it to a lab for analysis, would be another point on your side. Also on the Facebook CR-V group someone recommended contacting the California Attorney General. American Honda is headquartered in California and the CA AG investigates complaints regardless of where you purchased the vehicle (according to the Facebook poster). Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Edit: I know you said that the BBB would not help you. Local BBB? I am in Texas also and I once had an issue (not car related). I contacted the BBB where the company was headquartered and they took action. Might want to check with the Torrance, California BBB just in case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even on 20 degree days here in north Texas our 18 gets to full temp. I haven’t checked the oil in a while since my last change and the oil barely moves up on the dipstick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edit: I know you said that the BBB would not help you. Local BBB? I am in Texas also and I once had an issue (not car related). I contacted the BBB where the company was headquartered and they took action. Might want to check with the Torrance, California BBB just in case.
BBB Autoline handles automotive issues for many manufacturer, but not Honda. The local BBB sites point you to the BBB Autoline. If you find the Torrence, CA Honda BBB listing, Honda has an F because they don't respond to complaints.

Tomorrow I'll explore the Texas Lemon Law process and also contact one of the attorneys looking to file a class action lawsuit against Honda. Google found this attorney https://www.sauderschelkopf.com/inv...l-contamination-class-action-investigation-2/

·
Registered
11 Posts
google Honda CR-V class action lawsuit, found site today and registered, more owners we can get, the sooner Honda USA gets their you know what, together. I have had supposed fix and guess what it is NOT a fix for oil dilution problem, maybe fixes some heating problems, but I haven't ever had a heating problem, and I live in ND, drive 90 miles round trip 5 days a week all year round, so that debunks their cause theory. I have had oil dilution problems since new in June 2017 and now have 37000 miles on vehicle, started out changing synthetic oil every 10k, but when I saw oil level 1.5" above top orange part of dipstick, we now change every 4k, and have a problem 200-300 miles after oil change. SAD and POOR on Honda USA part. I got the "that's normal" quote from them and that my case was "closed"

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m also waiting to see if I can get “the fix”. Actually, dealer already did the software update, but couldn’t order the A/C control module. I live in the Kansas City area, so we’re not included in the product update campaign. I haven’t had heating issues, but oil is consistently 1/8” above top of dipstick (even after software update). I had an oil analysis done with both Blackstone and Oil analyzers, Inc. I collected both samples at the same time. One showed 3% dilution (Blackstone) and the other (OAI) showed “>5%” dilution. Wear metals were within range for my sample with 3,700 miles since last change (I took the car in the next day for an oil change). Both companies said to continue to monitor. I sent the reports to the dealer a couple of days ago and they said they would bring it up with the regional Honda rep (yesterday) but I haven’t heard back yet.

Frankly I don’t know what to think at this point. So many peoples’ oil levels that are high seem to level out at about 1/8” over the orange. It’s seems odd to see so much consistency, regardless of oil change interval. There is an element of normalcy to it at this point, even if we don’t think it’s right and only time will tell. I know I don’t have confidence in a software fix.

At this point I’m hoping for some type of extended warranty like what Honda of Canada did. Getting the used oil analysis completed gave me a little more piece of mind that my engine will at least make it though the warranty period! After that, I either need to consider an extended warranty, or just unload it (which is too bad as this car is great on paper and meets our needs well, but I’ve become OCD about this ticking time-bomb). I bought a new car for the first time in my life with the justification that we’d be keeping it a long time. It’s been a learning experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Long story short, I've been fighting Honda about the oil/fuel issue for about a year. In the winter, it's obvious my CRV has the issue - I make many short trips to the bus stop, etc and the car never warms up. The dealership called Tech-Line on two different occasions and was told there was nothing that could be done. I opened two cases with Honda Corporate and was rudely told the same thing. As a last ditch effort, I opened an arbitration case with The National Center for Dispute Settlement (NCDS - Home) at the suggestion of the Better Business Bureau. (BBB doesn't handle complaints for Honda.)

That prompted Honda to reach out to me with an offer. After discussions with Honda, I agreed to drop my arbitration case if they performed the fix - since that is all I've wanted from the beginning. I even told them I'm ok if the fix doesn't solve the problem - at least you are trying to remedy the situation which would satisfy me for a while. Honda rep said he needed to talk to a few more people and would call me back with instructions on how it would work. 4 hours later, he reversed his position and said there is no fix for my VIN. He said Honda will let the arbitration process play out. I am sure that means I will lose!

He told me if I let my CRV warm up every time I drove it, I wouldn't have the issue. I told him that sounds like a defective engine design and since the owner's manual doesn't say I have to do that - Honda needs to fix my CRV. In addition, the owner's manual says to check the engine oil at every fuel fill - and since the level is above where it should be - there is a defect. Their position is that if there are no check engine DTC codes - there is nothing that needs to be fixed.

So my hearing is in a couple of weeks - it's a document only hearing meaning I won't be in attendance (my choice). I have provided them with all of my service repair orders from the dealership which have the issue documented from the Honda technicians point of view - higher than normal oil volume, smells like gasoline, black. I also have it documented by the dealership that oil volume increased from the middle of the dipstick to above the top mark since last oil change - which still has 80% oil life left on maintenance minder.

Just figured I'd share my story. What I need is a lawyer who can write a letter on my behalf demanding that Honda either fix the car, provide oil changes every 3-4 months for as long as I own the car or just buy it back from me.

My family has been loyal Honda/Acura owners since the mid 90s - based on this experience, this will be my last Honda. I really like the CRV - but since Honda has chosen to take this position - I'm done with them. I have an 8 year Honda Care warranty. Once the warranty expires, I will sell the CRV and buy something from a different manufacturer.
I feel your pain. I too am having similar issues. I just ran across some information regarding a class action lawsuit being considered. I added my name in my story to the mix.I originally wanted a Toyota Tacoma pre-runner, a couple of years old. I settled on this (Honda Crv). Bad decision

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Shew...Im glad I bought a 2.4l

The 2.4s also suffer, just not a bad generally speaking. Reason: GAS DIRECT INJECTION + driving a cold engine.

Granted, the reason it is less of an issue with the 2.4 is because the older 2.4 designs are not as thermally efficient as the new generation Honda engines.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Gotcha, so the more heat, the better in this case. I do live in central Florida as well.
Correct.

Reason: the PCV system in Honda engines, particularly in the 1.5T, is very robust and serves a key secondary function of purging fuel from the oil while driving... an important feature with gas direct injection engines.

All that is needed is a warm engine..... to cause the fuel to vaporize out of the circulating oil so the PCV system can do it's job. If the engine oil is so cold the fuel will not properly vaporize out of the oil ... there is no way for the PCV system to do what it is designed to do here. The result ---> fuel continues to accumulate in the oil.. and is observed on the dip stick as abnormal oil rise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BBB Autoline handles automotive issues for many manufacturer, but not Honda. The local BBB sites point you to the BBB Autoline. If you find the Torrence, CA Honda BBB listing, Honda has an F because they don't respond to complaints.

Tomorrow I'll explore the Texas Lemon Law process and also contact one of the attorneys looking to file a class action lawsuit against Honda. Google found this attorney Honda CR-V and Civic Oil Dilution | Sauder Schelkopf Attorneys at Law
I would LOVE to join the class action law suit. I’m in Dickinson, TX.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts