Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Newbie here, so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I have a 2018 CRV with 29k miles on it. Tires were replaced in August 2019, so they are less than a year old. They were last rotated in January 2020. Today as I was driving I noticed that the general noise of the road seemed to be louder than it normally is. Seems to be coming from the front wheels. It reminds me of like a growling/droning noise that increases/decreases with speed. It is not a metallic or mechanical sound to my ear...just more like louder road noise. Anyone know what might be causing this?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That does sound like tire noise. I would say do a visual inspection of them, and check the pressures. Mine seem to do best at 30-32. I wouldn't think it would be due to wear, unless you drove a lot Some times just the ambient hotter summer temps are enough to be detectable by ear. But if it gets worse you may have an issue developing, such as a broken or separating belt or similar.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
As the tire rubber gets more heat-cycles into them, the rubber gets harder and noise increases.

If you are serene with knowing that the noise comes from the tires, don't worry. If the noise bothers you, get an alignment and mention that your want the noise minimized. BUT, you may need to buy new tires to eliminate tread-block feathering from creating noise.

GOOD LUCK,

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if it was possibly my wheel bearings going bad (which I have seen are/were an issue in the past). But I don't know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Wheel bearings generally get louder when a load is placed on them.

So, a left-side bearing would hum loudly on right-hand curves (at 25 - 50 mph). A right-side bearing would hum on left hand curves.

Both issues admittedly get loudest at about the same speeds. Have not heard of Gen2 bearing failures.

++++++++

At 29K miles, your wheel bearings should be fine (unless you are running aftermarket wheels with an improper offset).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts