Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The display on my infotainment system has been having glitches for awhile, but now they are becoming more frequent. I'm going to list the glitches and maybe somebody can give me some advice if they have had these issues too. In each situation, the glitch lasts anywhere between one to three seconds, then the screen flashes to black and then back to normal.

1 - The bottom half of the screen will turn red and the top blue; I have the color schematic set to the default blue. You can still read the screen just fine, except it's like the computer doesn't know what color to customize the screen so it does two at one time.

2 - The screen will flash to green, then black, then back normal. This one worries me because the screen turns pure green, you cannot see text or any gradient; sort of reminds me of a computer having display driver problems. This glitch will only last for a fraction of second but the color is so intense it grabs your attention.

3 - The screen will flash static (think watching an analog TV with an antenna durning a lightning storm and the black and white static that would ripple across the screen when a bolt of lightning would strike nearby)

4 - The screen will split in half horizontally, taking the top half and switching it with the bottom half (color remains the same).

I know when I take the car to the dealership, the technician is going to say that the problem cannot be reproduced. I say that because I cannot get the car to reproduce the problem either; bumps, turns, hard stops nor connecting my iPhone have produced the glitches. The only thing that I can say is - it always happens when I'm driving. Sometimes shortly after starting to drive, sometimes 30 minutes into a drive, sometimes it won't happen for a week at a time.

It really seems like it's a loose connection based on how fast the screen error occurs and then resolves. The glitch happens so fast I can never get a photo taken (although, I'm thinking about mounting a GoPro and hitting record, see if I can capture the glitch on video). Every time I go in for service, I do ask the dealer to check for updates to the computer system.

I've put about 30,000 miles on my car and worry what will happen if the screen stops when the warranty runs out. If I have the dealership note that the screen is having issues while under warranty, will Honda repair the screen after the warranty runs out?

This infotainment system is integrated into the cars main functions to the point I would have no other option than to replace the unit quickly if it were to completely fail.

If I can get a photo of a glitch in action, I will post it here --

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yes you need to capture it happening several times on a Go Pro and then take the recordings to the dealer.
Nobody on this forum is going to be able to help you with the issue. I think maybe only three people on here have even removed the HU much less tried to repair one.

Rob

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yeah, if you have a GoPro, absolutely take a recording. This ain't a FW issue; you need a new screen and/or HU.

But yeah, if you have notes about a specific problem, and it was marked NTF, most dealers that don't completely suck will still complete it as an in-warranty repair, but don't press your luck if you can take video.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes you need to take video - any dealer worth their salt will take that as evidence that you have a genuine issue. Ideally get a few videos of it happening on different days, so that you can show it is a re-occuring fault.

We had issues with our display and showing the service advisor videos of it glitching ensured that we were able to get the screen replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problems with the infotainment system on 2019 CR-V. Sometimes it flashes and goes black, sometimes it alternates between the screen, the brightness settings and a blank screen. Sometimes the buttons are inoperable and sometimes difficult to make them work. It just seems to be an unstable system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the "brightness" issue awhile ago but it has stopped. However, just this week I was driving and the entire screen went black. There was nothing on the screen at all. At the next light, I stopped and started the car and everything was fine. I asked the service department and he said that I'd have to leave it for a day to see if they could reproduce the problem. I told him that it's only happened once of late but others on a message board (this one) have had similar problems.

Does Honda know about this issue?

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,212 Posts
mine did this about 6 times, usually after driving for a few hours. but haven't had it happen in over a year now.
i reboot my HU monthly.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
My screen was freezing about every 2- 3 weeks. A reboot would fix it. This was verifyied by dealer. So waiting for fix.
I started cleaning my screen every week. So far haven't had the problem in 2 months. I'll still have a fix done whenever it might come.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My screen was freezing about every 2- 3 weeks. A reboot would fix it. This was verifyied by dealer. So waiting for fix.
I started cleaning my screen every week. So far haven't had the problem in 2 months. I'll still have a fix done whenever it might come.
I brought my CR-V in today for the shift button update/recall. They informed me there is a software update for the “screen black/flickering ” issue. I’m out of warranty so I paid $50 for it to be done.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,563 Posts
I brought my CR-V in today for the shift button update/recall. They informed me there is a software update for the “screen black/flickering ” issue. I’m out of warranty so I paid $50 for it to be done.
Can you post a scanned copy of the invoice for the screen repair?

Never mind found the tsb A19-066

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Can you please post the software version? Swipe down from the top, click on settings and scroll down to I believe system or about. (Going by memory, can look at my car later this afternoon).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
My 1st Brightness thing happened at 10:15 AM on May 13, 2018 @ 10,100 miles while we were driving to NYC on the NJ Turnpike
My 2nd Brightness thing happened at 10:55 AM on May 26, 2018 @ 10,600 miles while we were parking at Wendy’s in Doylestown.
My Brightness thing was supposedly fixed on June 5, 2018 @ 10,797 miles at dealer under warranty. Honda released software update to repair this concern, updated PCM as per Honda.

My 3rd Brightness thing happened at 9:00 AM on August 1, 2019 @ 20,300 miles while we were driving to PHL on the Blue Route.

I get home, check for a TSB and, low and behold, there is one; TSB 19-066. It took over a year to show up, but there it is.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163184-0001.pdf

So I guess I have to make an appointment to get TSB 19-066 and 19-063 applied to my my car.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160912-0001.pdf

Now if Honda could only find a fix that works for the OD and lack of heat problem before our upcoming fourth winter it would be great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The display on my infotainment system has been having glitches for awhile, but now they are becoming more frequent. I'm going to list the glitches and maybe somebody can give me some advice if they have had these issues too. In each situation, the glitch lasts anywhere between one to three seconds, then the screen flashes to black and then back to normal.

1 - The bottom half of the screen will turn red and the top blue; I have the color schematic set to the default blue. You can still read the screen just fine, except it's like the computer doesn't know what color to customize the screen so it does two at one time.

2 - The screen will flash to green, then black, then back normal. This one worries me because the screen turns pure green, you cannot see text or any gradient; sort of reminds me of a computer having display driver problems. This glitch will only last for a fraction of second but the color is so intense it grabs your attention.

3 - The screen will flash static (think watching an analog TV with an antenna durning a lightning storm and the black and white static that would ripple across the screen when a bolt of lightning would strike nearby)

4 - The screen will split in half horizontally, taking the top half and switching it with the bottom half (color remains the same).

I know when I take the car to the dealership, the technician is going to say that the problem cannot be reproduced. I say that because I cannot get the car to reproduce the problem either; bumps, turns, hard stops nor connecting my iPhone have produced the glitches. The only thing that I can say is - it always happens when I'm driving. Sometimes shortly after starting to drive, sometimes 30 minutes into a drive, sometimes it won't happen for a week at a time.

It really seems like it's a loose connection based on how fast the screen error occurs and then resolves. The glitch happens so fast I can never get a photo taken (although, I'm thinking about mounting a GoPro and hitting record, see if I can capture the glitch on video). Every time I go in for service, I do ask the dealer to check for updates to the computer system.

I've put about 30,000 miles on my car and worry what will happen if the screen stops when the warranty runs out. If I have the dealership note that the screen is having issues while under warranty, will Honda repair the screen after the warranty runs out?

This infotainment system is integrated into the cars main functions to the point I would have no other option than to replace the unit quickly if it were to completely fail.

If I can get a photo of a glitch in action, I will post it here --
This issue will happen many more times and it will give you the opportunity to record it with your phone so no need to get a go pro. I recorded over a minute of this glitch and showed it to the HONDA tech and he shook his head in disbelief and didn’t give me an answer. He also told me he doesn’t know of any callbacks or fixes for it,
Good luck !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.