Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
2018 CRV EX. Gen 5 (I guess).
Using Android Auto, connected via USB cable.
Waze - great
Phone - great
Amazon music - great

Texting - not so great.

If a text message comes it, it can read it aloud, and prompts me if I want to reply. If I reply, I can send a text by speaking. It's great.

BUUTTTT.... I can't initiate a new text message.

For example, if I press the button to take audio commands, it doesn't accept anything like "Text so-and-so <message>". It ends up saying either there are multiple numbers for the person, and then initiates a phone call once selected, OR it comes up with some crazy phone number with tons of digits. Other voice prompts work fine.

1. Am I supposed to be able to send texts via the voice prompt, or am I thinking it is supposed to do something it doesn't.

2. If it is supposed to do it, any idea what is wrong, what to try out, etc. etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally I have not had this issue. When I use Android Auto I say "Ok Google" or press the mic button on screen or long press the talk button on the wheel then I say "Send a message to whatever contact name". She confirms the contact name and asks for the message then repeats the message before it's sent. That has worked for me everytime. I believe I tried "Text so-and-so <message>" and for some reason that was a hit or miss for me personally. Let me know if that helps!

·
Registered
395 Posts
In Apple there is a setting for "do not disturb while driving" set to "automatically" or "manually", maybe Android has something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally I have not had this issue. When I use Android Auto I say "Ok Google" or press the mic button on screen or long press the talk button on the wheel then I say "Send a message to whatever contact name". She confirms the contact name and asks for the message then repeats the message before it's sent. That has worked for me everytime. I believe I tried "Text so-and-so <message>" and for some reason that was a hit or miss for me personally. Let me know if that helps!
I gave it a shot yesterday, but no good. Doesn't matter if it is "Send a message..." or anything else. It just comes up with the start of a phone number that it wants me to call.

Any further thoughts? Is there some kind of factory reset for the head unit? Maybe something that needs to be enabled?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you aware that when you initiate voice commands on the steering wheel, a short press calls Honda's voice recognition program?
If you want to invoke Android Auto, you need to long press the button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would look towards your phone, your phone settings, and the Android Auto settings on your phone. The head unit just displays what the app is telling it to. I'm sure you already have the Google app, Google Text-to-Speech app, and you have already set up the assistant to your voice. Honestly this is quite unfortunate that your not getting the full functionality of the app! If I think of a more concrete method to get it working then I'll write back here!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you aware that when you initiate voice commands on the steering wheel, a short press calls Honda's voice recognition program?
If you want to invoke Android Auto, you need to long press the button on the steering wheel.
I did not know this - and it was very helpful.

Doing the short press and using "OK Google" seemed to bring up the phone, as previously mentioned in this thread ... and it seemed to work about 90%. I tried a text message and it grabbed some of the audio of the car actually prompting.

I tried the long press to make a call, and as you stated, it seemed to activate Android Auto and made a call per my audio instructions.

I will test texting with it tonight.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well if you use ok google you're bypassing the car button. Just long hold the car button until google prompts, then try it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts