Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions about using injector cleaners on a G1 i-VTEC engine?

And if OK, at what point do you recommend using them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you mean the stuff you pour into the gas tank? If so, two that come highly recommended (I'm just a follower, not an expert) are Chevron Techron and Seafoam. Techron is widely available in autoparts stores and Walmart. Seafoam, made by a company in Minnesota which isn't at all close to the sea, may be harder to find. I've gotten it at AutoZone in an old-style can.
I add it every fall and spring to both my both my cars and my motorcycle. Does it work? Well, I've never had a fuel problem, even with today's lousy ethanol-flavored gas.

All major-brand gasolines have cleaners in them. Chevron and Texaco have Techron, at least in my area. Shell now advertises "nitrogen-rich" cleaners. So adding more may or may not be useful. I figure it can't hurt, except my wallet.

pete

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
no no no no no

please for the love of your catalytic converter and o2 sensors don't use them. here is the link to my catalytic converter FYI write up thread. Pm or email me for info on how to clean it right.http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6116

plus save the money, those thing are snake oil

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Gen 1 had an I-vtec? I thought that was released in 2002? Either way... I know a little off topic, but would having an aftermarket fuel rail do anything? And cleaning them out, I know that does almost nothing, and is just burned with your regular fuel... it's like those fuel saver turbine things. hehe

I just ask because I saw an AEM fuel rail for the K24, and it just looks like a big blocky thing that says it is used with the stock injectors, I don't see how it does anything the stock one can't.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
iV-tec was started in gen 2 (2002) when they bought the 2.3L k series into the crv.

after market fuel rails, injectors, pumps, and high flow filters are worthless on a N/A engine, only add those when you are going for big boost, even then they wont be that effective on a 4cyl unless you are running super high boost and have a heavily modified engine.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
iV-tec was started in gen 2 (2002) when they bought the 2.3L k series into the crv.

after market fuel rails, injectors, pumps, and high flow filters are worthless on a N/A engine, only add those when you are going for big boost, even then they wont be that effective on a 4cyl unless you are running super high boost and have a heavily modified engine.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't think it was worth anything for me. I'm leaving this engine a free breather N/a so no boosting for me.

And btw:

2.4 not 2.3 hehe just giving you crap.

YEah, that's why I was confused when he said I-vtec I believe. The swap to 2003 morphed the Cr-v's powerplant to a 2.4 Ltre Dual Overhead Cam With the Intelligent-VTEC system 160Hp and 162ftlbs torque at 6,000RPM? I think 6k... not sure.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have an Odyseey, and I want to swap the V's engine into that, and vice versa, and then get rid of the Odysey, I don't know what the Ody is running but it has to be bigger, and most likely a V6, I can't remember.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
the 2.3 Liter I-Vetch Is in the RDX. Yes it is a 2.3 don't know why honda just didn't use the 2.4 probably to make ACURA different.

I think that ODY is a 3.2 but it may be 3.5 liter I can't remember we didn't have ours for more than 3 years and I didn't like it all that much.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Your call

I've been using additives for the life of the car. I usually add a bottle of the Regane fuel system cleaner and the 4-cylinder oil cleaner to my car every oil change or every other. I have three opinions on them:

1) The cleaners should burn 'hotter' and thus burn away any crap in there. I have an aftermarket intake that lets more air into the system, so I'm sure burning apart specs of dust that do make it in there will help.

2) The cost of these items (I am frugle, so I buy on sale) isn't extraordinarily high on a per-year basis. If these additives prevent build up and prolong major maintenance, then I'm happy. My car is a higher mileage car, so it needs any help it can get.

3) There is only one or two vortex blade thingys... there are tons and tons of fuel additives and cleaners... Not sure where I'm going with this, but yeah.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i would not advise using fuel additives, they arent effective enough to outweigh the possible problems.
I have been using them at every oil change for 40 years and never had a problem.Never had a carb or injector problem and I would recommend them especially to people who do no or very little highway.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It's a 2004 odysey, so whatever that is. YEah, I've never gone for those additives, though the leak stop stuff for radiator stuff works pretty ok, till it doesn't work anymore, and you just need to fix the crack.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
About once a month I run premium fuel with an octane boost. I would try racing fuel but they only have SUNOCO and I wont use that.

Cheveron fuel has the techron fuel additive in it already but it is not as concentrated as pouring the bottle in the fuel tank. Just food for thought.

Has anyone ever cracked an egg into a radiatior to stop a leak. They did it on mythbusters and it worked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts