Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 CRV-EX has 22k miles on the Hankook tires. The inside tread is completely worn on the rear tires. Other than this, all 4 tires have more than half the tread remaining. The Honda dealer and a local shop both say the alignment is exactly to spec. I am replacing all 4 with Michelin Defenders but I have not solved the problem. Any ideas???

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
When you say 'exactly to spec' you need to remember that all geometry specifications are within a range.

Rather than tell a shop 'Check the alignment', tell them your rear tires are wearing and to please adjust them to minimize this tendency.

Any good tire shop (not the dealer) should be able to do this type of adjustment. They will often give you a readout with the specification range and the actual result of their adjustments. (If you get that, take a picture and post it here.)

+++++++++++++++++++

BTW, what BoostedV said is key. If you have been rotating the tires when the MM says, BOTH F&R should be showing inner wear, as they should be on ~the third rotation. ???

Reactions: williamsji

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Have you rotated them?
We have 17k on ours rotated them 2/3x and perfect
^^ This.

Since normal alignment spec on a CRV sets front tires sleightly toe-in and rear tires sleightly toe-out.... if you don't rotate per the MM, you are setting your tires up for premature wear-out.

If you look carefully at a gen5 CRV (actually almost all Honda vehicle models) parked on a level surface and empty of passengers and cargo.. you can actually see this when looking from the rear off to the side about 4 feet. Vehicle loading (ie: heavy loads in the rear of the vehicle.. rear passengers and rear cargo loading) will exacerbate this effect on the rear tires, but not generally on the front tires. So will AWD... as there is active traction on the rear wheels every time you acclerate from a stop. I suspect "jack-rabbit" drivers will see faster tire wear on the rear tires of an AWD CRV.

In the Original posters case, if they never rotated the tires.. I would fully expect to see the conditions reported at the mileage reported.

That said.. there have been some reports of rear tires on gen5 CRVs wearing prematurely.. and Honda has been asking dealers to notify them when a vehicle with this issue comes in so they can send an engineer out to evaluate cause. My guess.. sometimes the factory alignment is sloppy on the rear settings .. and hence it may very well be a manufacturing quality control issue they need to nail. OR.. it could just be the causative factors I described above and is normal due to said factors.

Registered
I don't know if the 5th gen CR-V is the same as the 3rd gen, but on my '09s, the rear camber is not adjustable unless you install an aftermarket adjustable upper control arm. Often, all that is adjustable on a rear alignment is the toe angle.

Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
yep only toe on the rear is adjustable,if you can see the rear tires tilted in compared to the front (negative camber) its out of specification . heres the part for 2007-2016 . https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-rk100046 . so it will need the parts for the 2017 and put the rear camber to the outside of specs to allow for cargo weight to bring it more negative but still in spec. (edit) I guess the 2017 is the same heres the dorman number too https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-lateral-arm-526-390/11928820-P#

Registered
That Dorman part is for 3rd and 4th gen CR-Vs, as the Moog is the exact same part I just put on my '09 this week. (That is Dorman's error for listing it for the 2017 model. Confusing, I know.)

The 5th gen doesn't use that type of upper control arm. Part #17 here is the upper arm.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Guilty as charged. In 65 years of driving, I have never rotated tires and never got less than 50k miles from "good" tires. That said, I just bought 4 Michelin Defenders from Discount Tire and they offer free rotation every 5k miles so I will be rotating every 5k. One other thought, at 9k miles, the dealer replaced the defective right rear sway bar bracket. Could that have thrown the alignment settings off??

Registered
I don't think the stabilizer bar would have anything to do with it. There are two brackets (#8 above) that hold the rubber stabilizer bar bushings to the chassis, and changing neither the brackets nor the bushings would affect alignment. If they replaced one of the stabilizer bar links (part #9 above), those shouldn't affect it either. To replace the links, there usually is no need to loosen or remove anything else on the suspension to access them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts