Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our new CRV, we used the dash camera off our old car on the CRV. The camera is a Vico-Opia 2 that I had it hooked up to Vico's Power-Plus battery management system on the old car but didn't want to bother with that on the CRV. In fact I was looking for a simple, hidden hookup with few, if any wires showing. So I ran the dash wires from the camera down the A-pillar behind the air bag, under the driver's side dash and in under the center console cup holders. There I disconnected the 12V power outlet wire and hooked it up to a new Honda socket assembly I bought ($16). Had to get a new Honda socket because no aftermarket outlets would connect to the CRV's wire connection unless I spliced into the wire, which I simply did not want to do in case we ever wanted to use the console power outlet again. So I wrapped the new socket in electrician tape, slipped it into an extra 1" pcv tube I had laying around (fit perfectly), wrapped it in foam to silence any rattles and called it a day. Works great. Since the console has two 12V power outlets, we still have the top one working when needed. Removing the center console's cup holder is a snap too in case the dash cam connection ever needs servicing. As usual Honda's A-pillar trim proved to be the most interesting thing to deal with. The trim has to slide up towards the roof in order to remove it from the red & black top clip. Other 2 yellow clips were more conventional push/pull design.

a.JPG b.JPG View attachment 125263 d.JPG e.JPG f.JPG

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Looks good
Any reason why u didnt get a jumper and just tap the fuse panel for the sockets fuse?

I have my c1 plugged in now but if i ever get a day without a family event, im gonna run mine to fuse panel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reason why u didnt get a jumper and just tap the fuse panel for the sockets fuse?
Fair question. I actually have the jumper from the old car when I used the Power-Plus, but that requires 2 jumpers ... one for power and one for ACC. Otherwise I guess I would have needed to splice the jumper into the Vico's power cord, and for reasons I can't explain I just didn't want to do that. This set up was just simpler.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Fair question. I actually have the jumper from the old car when I used the Power-Plus, but that requires 2 jumpers ... one for power and one for ACC. Otherwise I guess I would have needed to splice the jumper into the Vico's power cord, and for reasons I can't explain I just didn't want to do that. This set up was just simpler.

Gotcha. I did mine quick just to et it running but ran a couple if scenarios down for install.
Didnt see anyone do it the way you have before. As long as it works, its all good!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have the part number for the socket? I have a BlackVue 2 channel dash cam that I want to install but I’m still trying to figure out routing the rear camera through the hatch wire loom.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep ... part number 39624-T5A-J01. It's called a "socket assembly". I originally looked it up for a 2018 CRV on Honda's eStore and Hondapartsnow.com in case you have a different vehicle. Both sites showed the same part number. I bought it from my local dealer so I'd have it the next day.

If this helps, when I put a Thinkware rear cam in my Pilot I coated a piece of electrical wire first with a little dish soap and then inserted that thru the rear hatch loom. The electrical wire was stiff enough (but also bent enough) to get thru the loom. The soap helped make it slippery so it didn't hang up so much. Once thru I tied string on the wire and eventually used that to pull the rear camera wire thru the loom. Pretty sure the Pilot's rear loom is also a tad bit wider than the CRV however. Good luck.

Since I first put up this post, I decided to replace the Opia 2 camera with a Street Guardian. The Opia is too bulky for the CRV ... wife keeps hitting it with the sun visor. The Street Guardian's wedge shape should fit much better, sort of like the sleeker tube style of your BlackVue

·
Registered
548 Posts
Since I first put up this post, I decided to replace the Opia 2 camera with a Street Guardian. The Opia is too bulky for the CRV ... wife keeps hitting it with the sun visor. The Street Guardian's wedge shape should fit much better, sort of like the sleeker tube style of your BlackVue
I have a Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 Dash Cam (Transcend 128GB Micro SD) in my 2016 CRV too, the best Support network out there for Dash Cams IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As an insurance claims adjuster this is the cheapest form of protection you can have. I deny claims almost every day that are intersection collisions, no witnesses and word vs word. I have one in all of my vehicles and one for each of my 2 kids vehicles. Many are available with built in wifi or streaming to your mobile device so you can show stored video to a police officer at the scene if needed.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i don't have the patience for this.. i commend you.
how about you come this way to get to the beach... install for me, go to the beach, and free place to stay for a few days.
:) :doublethumb::Rockin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i
how about you come this way to get to the beach... install for me, go to the beach, and free place to stay for a few days.
:) :doublethumb::Rockin:
Bummer, :Darn: ... will be in Orlando in 2 months. Flying ... aint driving the CRV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So how did you get the a-pillar trim off? I have a 2018 EX and need to install a dash cam as well. Looking to take a similar path down the passenger side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This YouTube video does a decent job showing how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxuyy0utio

Here are some pics of the A-pillar removal that I downloaded from Honda Service Express. Putting a shop rag at the bottom of the pillar is pretty important as the two bottom clips (clips C in 1st pic) fall off easily. And if they do they go right down into the dash. You'll never find them and will have to buy new replacements, which is what I had to do. I used a small piece of masking tape around them when reinstalling so they stayed in place.
A-pillar 3.png A-pillar 2.png A-pillar 1.png A-pillar 4.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info! I installed my dash cam this afternoon and had no issues, save breaking a piece off the dash cover under the glovebox. I should have pulled down from the front rather than sideways. Broke the a piece off the front (near the firewall) where it attached to an anchor point. Ah, well...

If it rattles or otherwise bugs me, I can get a new cover.

But removing the pillar cover was easy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just pulled the side panels and cupholder off by hand. No screws or bolts to undo. Had a couple electrical wires to disconnect which were super easy. Here are some "how to" pics from Honda's Service Express that I downloaded.

Dr Side Cover.jpg Pass Side Cover.jpg Cupholder.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
As an insurance claims adjuster this is the cheapest form of protection you can have. I deny claims almost every day that are intersection collisions, no witnesses and word vs word. I have one in all of my vehicles and one for each of my 2 kids vehicles. Many are available with built in wifi or streaming to your mobile device so you can show stored video to a police officer at the scene if needed.
This is great to know & hear! Thank you for posting this validation.
I love my dash cams & use the Dash Cam Viewer software to sync it up with google maps via gps, time, speed, date etc

·
2,201 Posts
A tidy setup. However, you might get a ticket for it in Texas, due to it being in the zone of driver visibility. Most locals wouldn't even notice it, but a bored state trooper will pounce in a heartbeat. So, before you head in this direction, you might want to move it up and/or over to the right as far as possible. Just a caution/tip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
However, you might get a ticket for it in Texas, due to it being in the zone of driver visibility.
If you are referring to my original photo of the Opia2 camera, that has now been replaced by a wedge shaped camera, A cop isn't the only one who wouldn't like that camera … after a few trips once installed, it was in the zone of visibility a little too much for my liking as well :nod:. Much cleaner look now.

b.jpg

·
2,201 Posts
I like it! What camera is that? I'll be shopping for one soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts