Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing 3rd Party Android Apps

92K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  FernandoGrant 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Report back how it goes! I won't have time to hack away at it for a couple weekends. But I can't wait to see what we can do with it. We may be able to rip out the Garmin Navi apk and transplant it into CRV's that it didn't come with :) All trim levels have a gps module!

#7 ·
If I'm Mitsubishi (who manufactures the headunit) non-Navi parts are going to have some microfuses blown to keep the GPS coordinates from working (for the exact same reason you'd like it to work... get built-in navi without paying $1k), but it'd be really cool if this were not the case.

#22 ·
Anyway to disable parking / speed detection with developer mode enabled? Or is that system only and not managed by android? I want to be able to have ability so passenger can change certain settings while the car is in motion. Sometimes it's annoying that you have to park the car to do that.

#35 ·
Fascinating. All you brave, bold folks have fun but I'll admit I'm too chicken to try this. I've had too many bad experiences with software glitches and I'm leery of anything that may result in unpredictable vehicle operations (not to mention the potential to void my warranty).

#36 ·
This method works on the 2017 CR-V. The root isn't persistent yet, and the "one-click" installer doesn't work for me, but the hack can be repeated to push apk files, edit/replace the whitelist, and use "pm install" to install new apps!

h ttps://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582

#38 ·
Just want to clarify, the purpose of installing 3rd party apps is to allow us to access more Android apps on the built-in head unit correct? If all I'm using is Waze and Pandora/Spotify, then it's really not a reason to install them as they are available on Android Auto already?

Also, once the apps are installed on the head unit, the head unit will still need to establish WiFi connection to your phone or hotspot, so it can get the necessary internet connection for the apps, is this correct as well?

Thanks for any info!

#39 ·
Just want to clarify, the purpose of installing 3rd party apps is to allow us to access more Android apps on the built-in head unit correct? If all I'm using is Waze and Pandora/Spotify, then it's really not a reason to install them as they are available on Android Auto already
If you noticed once you connect Android auto it takes total control over your phone. You can not use any other features on the phone. That is the reason I want to install Waze and TuneIN ( for example) on head unit and still use my phone freely. And Yes I'm careful and responsible driver if somebody start questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.