Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their factory door speakers on a 2012 CR-V EX? I've searched online trying to find instructions on removing the door panel but have not had any luck. This is my first time replacing speakers and I don't want to mess something up. I've checked the following websites: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/, http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/index...da-accessories, http://www.handa-accessories.com/ and they don't have any instructions for a 2012 CR-V that involves removing the door panels.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have not seen anything in regards to Panel removal either for the 12. Most people here have taken the car to a shop and paid for install. The shops in my area are not fit to change a light bulb so there is no way I'm taking it any of them. I've been looking for instructions or a pictorial on the web since Jan. and can't find any so, I guess it's a "wait and see" thing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did mine on an '08 "V". Don't think that things have changed that much. Don't have photos, but this is what I remember. Would strongly suggest getting a set of plastic trim removal tools which will make your life easier, but won't damage your surfaces. Just a word of caution whichever speakers you choose. Roll all the windows down as far as they go so you know if the windows will interfere with the speaker magnets. Fronts should have windows come about 1/3 the way of the speaker opening. Rears won't present any problems at all. In addition, get the speaker wiring harnesses for Hondas so you don't have to splice into standard speaker harness.

Look in cup where door latch is. Should see a pop-off tab. Underneath is a Philips-head screw.
Look in cup built into the arm rest that you grab to pull door shut. Should see 2 pop-off tabs. Underneath each is a Philips-head screw.
Look at bar that you grab to pull the door shut. On the underside of the upper & lower rounded edges are tabs. Underneath each is a Phillips-head screw.

Carefully remove all located tabs. Remove each screw.

Now feel around all 4 edges of the interior panel. Top edge just hangs on to the window channel. Along 3 of the 4 edges you will find pop-in holders. They are spaced about 4-6 inches apart all along the outer edge. Insert one of the thin trim tools between the panel & the frame. Slide in any direction until you hit one of the holders.

Carefully, pry one edge of the panel off of the frame. [I found best luck working on the lower corner next to the door hinges.] When you can work your fingers between the panel & the frame, you should be able to pop the panel off of the frame until the panel hangs from the top edge. Tug gently but firmly [this is where the trim removal tools really help.]

Pop off the plastic covers to the side mirrors. Gently lift the panel off of the frame. Undo the cable connecting the the electronic window & lock controls. Gently rotate the panel so that the cup holding the door latch comes undone from the panel. You can now move the panel out of the way & get with replacing the speakers.

Replacing is just the opposite. After you get 1 done, you'll find it easier to do the other 3. Good luck.

BTW, what speakers are you installing? Put Polk DB651's in mine. Have made a major difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to get some of those trim removal tools. I'm replacing the stock speakers with Polk Audio DXi650s.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Decided to go out & take some photos of what I talked about.

Here is the top tab inside the door latch cup: IMG_0173.jpg

Here is the pull cup built into the arm rest: IMG_0173.jpg

Here is one of the two tabs on the underside of the pull bar: IMG_0173.jpg

Still haven't got the hang of where to place the photos, but I think you can see what I'm referring to & where.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you ever have any luck on your install? I am thinking about doing the same to my 2012 ex but am a little leery about pulling everything apart. I would love to know how it worked for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up paying around $140 to get them installed professionally. So getting inside the door panel is still a mystery to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what brand and model number of speakers did you install? did you replace all 4 door speakers? are you happy with the results?
thank you for your responce.
vfrpaul98

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought Polk Audio DXi650s 6.5" Slim Mount Coaxial Speakers from Crutchfield. I replaced all four doors. I'm pretty satisfied with them. The mids and highs are awesome. It's lacking a little base but you really need a subwolfer for that. These speakers actually sound better the loader they are which is a plus.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mitchen, so you did not get components for the front? Are the stock factory tweeters on the A pillar still emitting sound, or are they cut out altogether? Can you please confirm, as I want to use the same speakers but dont want to go through the trouble of wiring component tweeters or crossovers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kept the stock factory tweeters and the head unit. At the time I bought my system there was not a kit for the 2013 CRV. There might be one now though. I would recommend replacing the radio if there is a kit as the stock radio is sub par. I stream music from my smart phone and I use an Equalizer app to augment the sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The lack of bass in my '13 EX was frustrating so I installed a JL Audio 10W3 with the JL enclosure. I am running a Kicker DX500.1 which throws out a LOT of bass - too much if you turn up the gain. Now that I have my bass, I wish I could round out the sound with better mids and highs. My installer, who is excellent, tells me that I could get really complicated by replacing the head unit or adding an amp with cleansweep or I could live with the present setup. He also recommending adding sound dampening material for a better sound with what I have. Here is my question: if I were to simply add a pair of Polk DB6501 components would that give me a marked improvement in quality? I know they are efficient but my installer doesn't think they would be more efficient than the factory speakers. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My guess is that just replacing the speakers would make a very large difference in the sound quality vs. the stock set. Can anyone comment on the sound improvement? Are the speakers 6.5" front and back or 6.5" front and 5.5" back?

Has anyone done this themselves? I did on my previous car and it was challenging, as I had to modify the stock mounts to make things work. Is it more bolt-on for the latest generation CR-V?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had Hertz DSK 165's installed and it made a huge improvement with clarity and highs. The mids are absent. To install, the technician tore out the come of restock speaker and used the frame for the new install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone replaced their factory door cheap speakers on a 2012 CR-V EX? I've searched online trying to find instructions on removing the door panel but have not had any luck. This is my first time replacing speakers and I don't want to mess something up. I've checked the following websites: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/, http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/index...da-accessories, http://www.handa-accessories.com/ and they don't have any instructions for a 2012 CR-V that involves removing the door panels.
Hello Mitch I am planning to install new speakers in coming spring season. Need some guidance. If you can give some useful tips it will be of great help.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Juts the tweeters

In my Honda Ridgeline, I replaced "just the tweeters" and it made a world of difference!

They were so crappy, that when I removed them, the sound of the system overall didn't change whatsoever! But when I put in new tweeters it made the the highs and imaging come alive. BIG DIFFERENCE!

So much so, that I didn't have to change out my door speakers, but having the OEM Subwoofer helped for the lows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just changed my factory speakers yesterday to Rockford Fosgate R165X3 6.5" from Crutchfield, i still have the factory tweeters though. The HU is aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I kept the stock factory tweeters and the head unit. At the time I bought my system there was not a kit for the 2013 CRV. There might be one now though. I would recommend replacing the radio if there is a kit as the stock radio is sub par. .
Guaranty it's your tweeters that need replacing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its not that bad to install. I replaced all 4 speakers on my CRV 12 with the polk 6.5s. I did go a little bit further by using the sloped area behind the rear seat with a custom slotted sub box I designed(frequency is right around 42hz.), got two 10s in it, didn't loose too much of the rear area either. Door panels I am pushing 50 watts x 4(@ 4 ohms) from an external amp, the subs I am pushing 100 watts x 2(@ 2 ohms). Front tweeters are still factory and still connected to radio and not amp. Great systems! One thing I have notice is the factory radio, when you get above half volume, the dynamics of the audio going to the amps change dramatically, December I have budgeted myself for a sound processor. Will leave the factory radio at 3/4 volume and use the sound processor controller to raise or lower volume. If you are a tinkerer, you should be able to get the panels off, just use caution as always when removing things you don't know about, will say the harnesses were a little difficult to disconnect, other than that, go for it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
I have just bought four Jbl 628 coaxials. I do not want to mess with amplifiers.
Any coments in sound quality improvments would be welcome, as I am not sure if the facory Hu is capable to drive the new speakers.
I am looking for quality, not high volume!
Thanks
Antonio

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
AzAssassin
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing