Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I replaced the doors and the tweeters and added a 200w amp. I paid somebody to do it because it was cheaper than me trying to figure it all out.

BTW, the Focal speakers and Clarion amp totally rock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, this is something of late-to-the-thread bump, as, prior to this post that I'm making, in Sept. of 2019, there has not been any activity in this thread in just over 5 years. With that said, I recently got a 2012 CR-V EX and, as many of you found out years ago, the factory speakers seem to suck. My CR-V just has the basic stereo system, no subwoofer or amplifier, and it has tweeters mounted separately. I'm not looking to put in a bunch of new equipment and make it thump, and I'd prefer to be able to leave in the factory stereo, as I really like the features on it (Bluetooth, Aux and USB inputs and the backup camera screen), but I don't know if the factory head unit puts out enough power to run some upgraded aftermarket coaxial speakers.

So, I'm curious, would it be worth it to just replace the front/rear factory speakers and still use the factory stereo?

Or, if adding an amplifier would be needed, or significantly helpful, how simple/difficult is it to add an amp? And is it easy to access the output wires on the back of the stereo, to be able to use a line output converter?

Being that I would just like to have the stereo be a little louder (and some better sound would be nice), is it actually worth just buying some aftermarket speakers and then using the factory stereo to power them? If so, does anyone know what size speakers the 2012 EX uses in the front and rear? And does anyone have any suggestions for speakers to use? If realistic, I would like to try to spend around $100 for the 2 sets of speakers; so, some suggestions for something in that price range ($50 per pair) would be appreciated.

Also, is this likely something that can be done myself? Is it reasonably easy to get the door panels off and get access to the speakers? And if it turns out that I did want to also install an amplifier, would that make things significantly more difficult? Or is it something of a difficult job that will likely take hours to complete?

Sorry for the lengthy post. If anyone would like to try to offer me a helpful reply, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
AzAssassin
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing