Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two issues with my instrument cluster, one is the lens is scratched and the other is a rattle/tapping sound that I can stop by placing my hand on the trim ring around it. I suspect a loose clip.

Has anyone ever removed the trim ring to get at the lens? What is the best way to pull the ring off? It seems like you just pull it, but I know that in some cars you need to start in a certain spot.

Any help appreciated.

thx

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,551 Posts
I have two issues with my instrument cluster, one is the lens is scratched and the other is a rattle/tapping sound that I can stop by placing my hand on the trim ring around it. I suspect a loose clip.

Has anyone ever removed the trim ring to get at the lens? What is the best way to pull the ring off? It seems like you just pull it, but I know that in some cars you need to start in a certain spot.

Any help appreciated.

thx
In my view.. always approach an issue with the simplest and least risky remedy first. The screen is a thin clear plastic whose sole purpose is to keep fingers, dust, sneeze debris, etc off the actual instrument display. I fully expect that it is quite fragile if you start poking and prodding it.

A couple of suggestions to try before you try to remove it:

1) There are a number of good quality non-abrasive automotive polishes that are specifically designed to remove surface scratches from soft plastic screens and other plastic surfaces like this. So.. under good lighting.. first inspect for scratches so you can clearly see them, then use a very soft microfiber cloth and cleaner to gently clean all dust and other particles off the screen. Then using a non-scratch cloth (like the lens cleaner cloths that are popular for cleaning eyeglasses with plastic lenses) and an approved plastic polish... gently buff out one of the scratches to see if you can do so effectively. Since the plastic is already scratched.. what do you have to lose?

2) Since you localized the rattle..... I personally would use a very small amount of either black or clear silicone compound and gently apply it to that location with a small toothpick and see if that is enough to squelch the rattle. Again... you already have a defect.. so what do you have to lose? I have found that a lot of the plastic surfaces on the steering wheel are very prone to small abrasions that are very evident under bright sunlight, and I just gently buff them out with a non-abrasive plastic polish and a lens cleaning cloth.

In the end, if my suggestions are ineffective in your case... you will in fact be replacing that screen anyway... and I bet the replacement part also has clips or other fasteners itemized by Honda to be used for a screen replacement. Order them all online and also check to see if where you order them also includes replacement instructions. This thread https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...gen-5/138306-scratches-speedometer-plexi.html shows you how to remove/replace the screen... and honestly... from reports of both owners and dealers replacing this screen for scratches.. the results are mixed... with dust and fingerprints ending up on the inside surface, etc.... making things as bad or worse for some owners.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
FYI: As a scratch-prevention measure, I've found gently wiping with a damp cotton rag seems to work pretty well. Dry-wiping will scratch. Haven't tried one of the dusters yet.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,139 Posts
Just tell dealer it rattles unless you press "here". Warranty fix

Reactions: vw2honda

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,551 Posts
FYI: As a scratch-prevention measure, I've found gently wiping with a damp cotton rag seems to work pretty well. Dry-wiping will scratch. Haven't tried one of the dusters yet.
I agree... dry wiping any plastic components on your car is just asking for anxiety resulting from scratch marks.

·
Registered
857 Posts

Any help appreciated.

thx
Grab the installation instructions for the heated steering wheel from college hills Honda. It shows the process.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.