Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like there is one or two lights out in the instrument panel, I admit looks like a real task to change them. Per the Haynes Repair manual I need to tear about half the front of the car apart-- remove steering wheel, take a lot off, take a lot of time. Hoping there may be an easier way. Maybe I'll just have to do away with the lights on tree gauges affected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a bulb burn out in my Drive indicator about a year ago. I too was worried about the process of getting access. It is really simple. Lower the steering down as low as possible, remove the main dash unit, unplug the wire connections. The dash unit is easily taken apart to get access to the bulbs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the Haynes Manual it makes it looks like the a lot has to be removed-- steering wheel, center console, a lot. I guess as usual there are differences between "manual" procedures and "this works "procedures.

I just replaced ONE bulb in my F150-- started the procedure Dec 13 I think, got it in yesterday! Now it wasn't constant work, had to work around rain, cold, Christmas, New Year, ect. The main problem was finding the right size-- finnaly took the whole unit to NAPA and they found a build the same size -- and I still don't know the size. But it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to make sure, If the bulbs you need to access are in the main speedo/tach dash unit, I believe it is only held in place by two screws. It then tilts out toward the steering wheel. With the tilt wheel lowered to its lowest setting and the wire clips on the back of the unit removed it will come right out. Then you can place the unit upside down on your bench and gain access to the bulbs.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You absolutely do not have to take the steering wheel off. There is a fair amount of trim to take loose. But it’s pretty straight forward. Can probably have it out in 10-15 minutes. If you decide to swap to LED bulbs, make sure you check that they all work before you put it back together. May have the polarity backwards on some. Would suck to take it all apart again to turn a bulb around in the socket.

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still having fun (?) with the bulb change> I cannot get the screws out, by what I can see it looks like Philips head maybe #1, but I cannot get any screwdriver bit to catch, I am afraid of ruining the head of the screw. I cannot get low enough or get enough light into the hole to see what angle the screw is-- straight up and down or what.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
313 Posts
Still having fun (?) with the bulb change> I cannot get the screws out, by what I can see it looks like Philips head maybe #1, but I cannot get any screwdriver bit to catch, I am afraid of ruining the head of the screw. I cannot get low enough or get enough light into the hole to see what angle the screw is-- straight up and down or what.
They are all Philips head screws. Which ones are you having trouble with, the cluster or the trim? I've removed quite a few of them with no issues, try a larger sized screwdriver?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, used a bigger light! I could see the screw head better, got the two screws out and managed to get the trim panel off. One of the clips broke off, looks like done before, I didn't force anything. Now I cannot get the cluster out! on there bottom of the cluster at the from t are tow plastics tabs, rubber pads came off both, can see one. How much of the cluster needs to come out to get to the bulb? The one out seems to be on the upper right, at night I can barely see the fuel gauge and nothing of the temperature gauge. I could not see any bulb yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just don't want to break anything. doesn't feel like it wants to come out. Not sure I'd want to be an engineer trying to design for many things in one spot!

Need to take my wife to get stitches out soon, and I think she wants a small road trip too; so put two screws back in for now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Once you tilt the wheel all the way down you should be able to fish it out from between the wheel and dash. I cant remember how long the harness is, but you can get it out far enough to unplug them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. When it warms up a but I'll give it another shot. When I got the trim off I saw several small pieces of plastic that had broken off something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, it warmed up to +19 degrees, I went out in my shirt sleeves to the parking lot and unscrewed the two screws I replaced. the cluster moved out more than yesterday - without too much effort. I removed three connections which posed no probnlem yet. There were four bulbs in the area of concern, since I cannot tell by looking which is bad, may as well replace all four. Guess I could replace the ones on the left side too. Oh, may as well save them for future aggravation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Par for the course!! I got the four bulbs out and went to NAPA to get new ones, they were more help than other places when doing the same with my pickup. But they only had three bulbs , so I got the three and hoped when I got back home I would not use the bad one. But low and behold when putting the new ones in, I noticed two more holes for bulbs completely empty!! And noticed two bulbs of a different size. So I put the three new bulbs and three old one back in. We'll see what happens. Maybe the two missing were the problem all along! Need to wait for it to get dark out so I can see any light working. So it is temporarily buttoned up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is now dark out and about 14 degrees. It appears the bulb that needs replaced is NOT one I did replace! I guess they others work! One is for the brake warning light, one for seat belt, they work. Must be the bulb in the gray base. Tomorrow's adventure- unless it is too cold. Always fun. Now if everything was immediately accessible, it would never fail.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today's adventure involved braving the almost zero degree weather. I removed the two screws temporarily holding the cluster in and removed the cluster, again. I removed the two grey based bulbs and noticed they were a little bigger than the others. This time to Advance Auto (they were closer) and showed the man what I had. They saw #37 on the bulbs, both pretty dark,. But they did not match what his system said (1127?). So I got the two #37 bulbs and came home. I put them in. Now I have two new gray based bulbs, three new black based bulbs, and three used black based bulbs in, just on the right side. Waited until dark and went out and turned the lights on-==== same as when I started!! I don't think I missed any bulbs. but will check.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts