Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious is anyone has compared the 2 different 1st gen manifolds? I like the look of the tall one and I have one off a failed engine. But not sure if its even worth my time.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,015 Posts
There must be some advantage to the short one or they wouldn't have gone to all the effort to make new tooling to make it. it's probably something to do with emissions though.

Fairly trivial, but it is easier to fit a strut tower brace over the low one.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think I remember reading that they made the taller intake to provide the B-series with a little more low-end torque. They may have accomplished this in the '99+ CR-Vs due to other changes in the engine and went back to the shorter intake.

I would guess that if all the sensors, vacuum lines, valves or whatever else are the same on both intakes, it might work. Can't hurt to try it if everything swaps over directly.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like it swaps over pretty easily. But im still up in the air if I want to take the time. We can only use the stalls when we are closed. And if something doesn't fit I have to swap it back pretty fast so I don't have to push it out.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
322 Posts
I think I remember reading that they made the taller intake to provide the B-series with a little more low-end torque. They may have accomplished this in the '99+ CR-Vs due to other changes in the engine and went back to the shorter intake.
That is correct, along with a different intake cam (more lift) with the B20Z engine. I'm running B18B (LS) cams in my CRV, which are the same as a B20Z. Still running the giraffe plenum (tall one) although I do have an LS plenum sitting in my garage, also using a B18B exhaust manifold because of the larger ports.

You can tell the stock (tall) plenum doesn't work well with the B18B cams until higher RPMs', lost some low-end grunt but have better passing power now. May keep it that way, as I don't want to lose all bottom end if I swap to the LS plenum.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,015 Posts
That is correct, along with a different intake cam (more lift) with the B20Z engine. I'm running B18B (LS) cams in my CRV, which are the same as a B20Z. Still running the giraffe plenum (tall one) although I do have an LS plenum sitting in my garage, also using a B18B exhaust manifold because of the larger ports.

You can tell the stock (tall) plenum doesn't work well with the B18B cams until higher RPMs', lost some low-end grunt but have better passing power now. May keep it that way, as I don't want to lose all bottom end if I swap to the LS plenum.
Stock B18B exhaust?

·
Banned
2004 standard Honda CR-V (Red) EX
53 Posts
Has anyone used a Pro series Skunk2 manifold on their CRV yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts