Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with my dealer today by chance and had a little chat about what is going on with Honda. He told me that representatives from Japan had visited a couple of weeks ago to lay out some directions that Honda is moving in 2019. First let me get this part out of the way, I asked about the Dilution problem and he said they had not seen a vehicle with the problem and that no mention was made of it during the meeting, So if something is happening they have not been informed yet.

The one thing he did mention is that Honda is very aware of an issue with the gear shift button and he said that his dealership had seen a few that crumbled. He said that at the meeting they where told that they found out that the part was not made out of suitable plastic. I am not sure if he meant that the supplier had ripped off Honda or that Honda had not made the part out of suitable material. In any case he said that the Honda rep showed them some samples of new shifter buttons that will be coming out in early 2019 for 17/18 owners. He said these are much more durable and should get rid of the problem for good. In the meantime Honda has instructed them to change any cracked units that come in with haste and supplied them with lots of spares of the original design.

I asked him what happens in 2019. He said they have been told that all vehicles that come in for routine service will automatically have the button replaced with the new one and that any owner who request one when the replacement program starts will be fast tracked to get theirs replaced.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Yep can't wait for the HRV to hit the revision line up. offers Apple play led fogs led headlamps, accord grill, and much much more that is hte one I rather be hearing about now Lol

Yeah fix the HTE for me please

·
Registered
888 Posts
I met with my dealer today by chance and had a little chat about what is going on with Honda. He told me that representatives from Japan had visited a couple of weeks ago to lay out some directions that Honda is moving in 2019. First let me get this part out of the way, I asked about the Dilution problem and he said they had not seen a vehicle with the problem and that no mention was made of it during the meeting, So if something is happening they have not been informed yet.

The one thing he did mention is that Honda is very aware of an issue with the gear shift button and he said that his dealership had seen a few that crumbled. He said that at the meeting they where told that they found out that the part was not made out of suitable plastic. I am not sure if he meant that the supplier had ripped off Honda or that Honda had not made the part out of suitable material. In any case he said that the Honda rep showed them some samples of new shifter buttons that will be coming out in early 2019 for 17/18 owners. He said these are much more durable and should get rid of the problem for good. In the meantime Honda has instructed them to change any cracked units that come in with haste and supplied them with lots of spares of the original design.

I asked him what happens in 2019. He said they have been told that all vehicles that come in for routine service will automatically have the button replaced with the new one and that any owner who request one when the replacement program starts will be fast tracked to get theirs replaced.

Rob
Interesting news from a dealer you say?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting news from a dealer you say?
Read the Thread Title again!
And yes I find it interesting because we had only seen a few cases in the past and now it seems like new ones are popping up everyday. Sorry it's not the news you wanted to hear but it's still worth reporting.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,096 Posts
Can you try and get the part number for the revised button design?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you try and get the part number for the revised button design?
Rocky I don't think it is available yet because he said early 2019 was when they would start distributing them to the dealers. He also mentioned that Honda see's this as a serious safety issue and that is why they want them all replaced. I will stop by and ask him if he got any pictures of the two parts side by side. I do not know if the Honda rep allowed photos but if they did I think he would have taken some as he is personally an avid fan of the Gen5 CR-V.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

For additional recall assistance, click the Ask Dave by Honda button. If you are dissatisfied with your vehicle performance or have a product complaint, please contact
Honda Automobile Customer Service at (800) 999-1009.

·
Registered
338 Posts
He also mentioned that Honda see's this as a serious safety issue and that is why they want them all replaced. I will stop by and ask him if he got any pictures of the two parts side by side.
At least in the US, if they really see it as a safety issue, i.e., potential non-compliance with FMVSS, then a customer sat campaign is not the right action, because a Safety Recall is required by law.

Can't imagine the replacement part would "look" different; probably just a materials change.

Not clear what the effectivity of this action would be. But the pn for the button is the same on '17s and '18s, and shows no super-cession information, in the parts catalog I looked at yesterday. I don't know how current that catalog is.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Me thinks the "have not seen one vehicle with the oil dilution problem" is the standard dealer reply. Probably mandated by Honda corporate.

How many past posts have listed common problems (A/C compressor clutch comes to mind) where owners have taken their vehicle into a dealer where there have been many posts on various sites detailing the problem and the dealers response was -- yours is the first we've seen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Me thinks the "have not seen one vehicle with the oil dilution problem" is the standard dealer reply. Probably mandated by Honda corporate.

How many past posts have listed common problems (A/C compressor clutch comes to mind) where owners have taken their vehicle into a dealer where there have been many posts on various sites detailing the problem and the dealers response was -- yours is the first we've seen.
Not always. I used to work in the construction and farming equipment industry on the product support side, both at the dealers and later manufacturers. As a dealer, we would get product improvement bulletins for issues we had never seen at our particular dealership. Working for the manufacturers, in analyzing the warranty claims, we would see certain issue at some dealerships but not at others. So it's possible that a given dealer hasn't seen it before.

However, as a dealer guy, we did used to joke about that as being a standard manufacturer response, "Nope, never saw that before"!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts