Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang! I had a 2004 Honda CRV for 14 yrs, and just last weekend upgraded to a 2016! Its super great, BUT the previous owner has made the interior of the car smell horrible! Its a mix between Vicks Vapor Rub and Smoke--GAG! Anyone have any suggestions to actually REMOVE the odor? Not just cover it up with a spray. I have Activated Charcoal bags in there now, and it helps some, but NOT taking it away. HELP!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,716 Posts
First step is to replace the cabin filter. (Don't buy a cheap one, get one with activated charcoal.)

Contact a professional detailer near you if the smoke has been absorbed into the felt headliner. They can get the smell out. (If you are at your Honda dealer, ask which detailer they use.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
YES CHANGE the cabin air filter.
This will help- get a car A/C cleaner, set up and follow the instructions and leave the car running for 10-15 minutes, temp high and recirc ON.

Also - after a run and the engine is warm /hot, before you stop and finish your journey, turn the cabin heat to maximum, open the windows and set the A/C to re-circulate. This should help kill any bugs in the a/c system.
If you still have a problem get a good car interior cleaner and clean all the fabrics, headlining, and surfaces in the car.
And last one spread some sodium bicarbonate on all the carpets, leave it for some hours/overnight. The hoover it all out.
Maybe even change the floor mats for new.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My '98 had the same odors when I bought it. I purchased a commercial grade cleaner off Amazon made by "The Chemical Guys" and mixed it properly. I also bought a good fabric brush and cleaned the entire interior including the headliner where the smoke and tar will accumulate. Then I sprayed every thing with Fabreze and after two Fabreze treatments the smell is permanently gone. It's been a year and the smell has not returned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive smoked for years in my 04 Maxima and I use this off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SBMLAM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It does kinda remind me of a recently cleaned tiled bathroom smell in public restrooms (but the nice restrooms like where they have cloth towels to dry your hands, not your local truck stop).
Also DO NOT just leave the entire tub open in your back seat. I once had it opened and I took a look in the back a week later and it looked like I butchered Papa Smurf in the back foot well.

I use one of those disposable cutlery knives and I use an old pill bottle with holes drilled on top to expose it to the air inside the car. After a while it'll soak up any bad smells in the car.

You could also buy the cheapest 1lb of coffee beans (NOT ground) and leave it open in your back seat for a weekend to absorb all the bad smells. My 420 friends recommends this method, they also do this to clean your pallet when your purchasing perfume or scented candles.

The correct way would be to use a steamer to get inside the leather/cloth especially the steering wheel and A pillars including the headliner which is where the smoke smell resides.
A couple of minutes per spot in a sweeping motion will kill any bacteria which is what is causing the smell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ive also used FRAM activated carbon filter in all my cars and the trick is to spritz a little bit of febreeze onto the bottom arrow (direction of the air flow) let it dry overnight then install in the incabin filter area. Dont soak it just a few sprays is more than plenty.

You can also use the Lysol disinfectant spray in the OUTSIDE cowl (the vents under the wiper blades) usually visible after you pop your hood.
Ive done this to my sisters Accord where in her neighborhood she has these trees that drop stinky berries and eventually get caught in her cowl and it starts to smell whenever she puts on her AC/Heat.

I recommend you do this for 30seconds spraying it directly into your cowl with the AC on FULL COLD MAX FAN. Then let the AC run for 5minutes then do it again for 30seconds on FULL HEAT MAX FAN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYlp9dm7AI

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey Gang! I had a 2004 Honda CRV for 14 yrs, and just last weekend upgraded to a 2016! Its super great, BUT the previous owner has made the interior of the car smell horrible! Its a mix between Vicks Vapor Rub and Smoke--GAG! Anyone have any suggestions to actually REMOVE the odor? Not just cover it up with a spray. I have Activated Charcoal bags in there now, and it helps some, but NOT taking it away. HELP!
Amonia windex the windows
New cabin filters
Take it for a full detail interior and exterior
Ask them to shampoo RUGS /SEATS MATS etc

Should be good after that

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a used pick up truck as a tow vehicle that was perfect except some one smoked in it.
Start w new cabin filter then 1# of coffee beans under a seat in a pan or box.
Trick really did work.

(Of course you need to clean anything visible first)

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,716 Posts
Start w new cabin filter then 1# of coffee beans under a seat in a pan or box.
Coffee beans? How about a pound of BACON?? :banana: UMMMM, Bacon!

(Just kidding... <----see what I did there, Larry? :eek: )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts