Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 touring that we purchased used in 2018 with about 15k on it. Recently, due to covid-19, it's been sitting longer then usual. My wife and I are both essential workers, she is able to work from home but I am not. I've been trying to rotate vehicles to keep the battery's charged, etc. So when I went to drive it about a week ago it smelled pretty rancid inside and the smell disappeared during the drive and stayed away for the next few days while I drove it. We'll today the smell is back (haven't driven it since Sunday). I have changed the cabin filter within the last 2 months. Has anyone had a similar experience? I couldn't find any TSB's or recalls and my local dealer didn't either. They are going to have a tech call me back, hopefully today. I thought maybe a mouse because I did have one get into my blower fan on my 2007 Pilot but once I eliminated the problem I've never had a smell in my Pilot since. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Check cabin filter n make sure nothing living or died in there.
Detailers here are offering antibacterial steam cleaning on interiors n things so might look into that

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check cabin filter n make sure nothing living or died in there.
Detailers here are offering antibacterial steam cleaning on interiors n things so might look into that
Yeah I'm going to take a look tonight and make sure nothing is dead in there. In all honesty I'd prefer to find a dead mouse at least then I have a definitive answer..... Thanks!

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
The term "pretty rancid" is so subjective and imprecise as to be ineffective in discussion about any vehicle cabin. :)

Are you able to at least compare it to something you consider "rancid" so we can all get a better idea of what you are dealing with?

I ask because one persons "rancid" is different than another persons "rancid". Personally, I consider the inside of most cloth interior vehicles to be pretty rancid to my nose after a number of years of body sweat, dead skin cells, various skin oils, etc.. all slowly seeping into the fabric and padding of the seats.

So... help us out here... can you articulate what kind of rancid you are smelling? Is it dead rodent smell rancid, or is it musty mildew type rancid smell? or old burrito under the front seat rancid? or <insert your adjective here> rancid? :)

My CRV is leather interior with sheepskin seat covers... and whenever I enter the vehicle after it has sat for days or weeks... I can very much smell the sheepyness of the seat covers when I first get in. But it is an expected, and for me... plesant smell. But .. oh my.. if I happen to sit in the seat covers wearing any clothing that is damp or wet .. such as entering from the rain. Wet sheep is something that will quickly move you to let the vehcile sit for a few days with the windows down so everything dries out fully.

Registered
I have maybe put 100 miles on my CR-V this year and it still smells great. I was just adding a new insurance company鈥檚 phone number in the car an hour ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.