Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the wood trim with aftermarket parts? There are plenty of kits available on Ebay but I want to see some pics if anyone has ordered one(along with where they ordered from). The kits from ebay all come from China and it would be a real PITA to send one back if I don't like it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my eye on these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07794VC9T/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3DWLEF822697N&colid=3HFSVYMK6EH3C&psc=1

However, the black ones are not just piano/glossy black, there's grain in them. I would like some that are just shiny black just like some of the other black material in the dashboard.

I got some trim tools on amazon for $8 and was able to easily get one of the wood trim panels off when I tried. I think others may actually have wrapped these with vinyl wrap (often a carbon fiber look). I'm thinking about trying that myself.

Here's a mention of using carbon fiber vinyl to wrap (Post #167):
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/127913-post-pictures-your-2017-cr-v-envy-thread-17.html#post956402

Here's another option, if you happen to like this color/design:
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08Z03-TLA-110.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's some more information:

Taking the front dashboard wood trim panels off is rather simple with a trim tool. Here's a picture of the mounting stuff behind them:
WoodTrim.jpg

However, it appears that the door wood trim panels might be much harder to remove. The parts guy at my Honda dealer indicated that it would require removing the entire door panel (though I'm not really sure).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In most cases, it's not necessary to remove the old trim pieces. The new trim pieces fit nicely over the old pieces....
I replace several areas and you would never know they were placed over old trim. It's very important to clean the area with alcohol to remove wax or oils. ..... after 2 or 3 days this stuff is difficult to remove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went ahead and figured out how to get at the wood trim panels on the doors. Here's my write up on what I did. Disclaimer, I've never done anything like this and if you try these steps do so at your own risk.

First I removed the door panels, I learned through watching 2-3 videos on YouTube about how to do so. This video is pretty straight-forward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eadqs_TJVi4

Once the door panel was removed there are 6 screws (highlighted in red) and 3 tabs/clips (highlighted in blue):
20180203_194600_edited.jpg

I used this vinyl wrap I got on Amazon.com. 1'x5' was just enough material to cover the dash and door wood trim panels. (Keywords: "3M 1080 G12 GLOSS BLACK 5ft x 1ft (5 Sq/ft) Car Wrap Vinyl Film"):
https://www.amazon.com/3M-G12-GLOSS-BLACK-Vinyl/dp/B007EEU58W/

I cut the vinyl to be just a bit wider than the trim panel:
20180204_105833.jpg

I started at the wider end of the trim, and would pull back about 3 inches of the vinyl's backing at a time and then pull and place the vinyl taking care not to have folds or bubbles.
20180204_110920.jpg

After pulling it over all the edges and corners, trimming the excess, and folding it over the inside the trim piece looked like this:
20180204_113634.jpg

Finished result:
20180204_115618_edit.jpg 20180204_115636_edit.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, I think most of them attach with double sided tape. If I had found some which were shiny black with no grain, I might have bought them. If I ever want to do that I can just remove the vinyl wrapping and tape on the new facade instead.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I went ahead and figured out how to get at the wood trim panels on the doors. Here's my write up on what I did. Disclaimer, I've never done anything like this and if you try these steps do so at your own risk.

First I removed the door panels, I learned through watching 2-3 videos on YouTube about how to do so. This video is pretty straight-forward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eadqs_TJVi4

Once the door panel was removed there are 6 screws (highlighted in red) and 3 tabs/clips (highlighted in blue):
View attachment 111033

I used this vinyl wrap I got on Amazon.com. 1'x5' was just enough material to cover the dash and door wood trim panels. (Keywords: "3M 1080 G12 GLOSS BLACK 5ft x 1ft (5 Sq/ft) Car Wrap Vinyl Film"):
https://www.amazon.com/3M-G12-GLOSS-BLACK-Vinyl/dp/B007EEU58W/

I cut the vinyl to be just a bit wider than the trim panel:
View attachment 111041

I started at the wider end of the trim, and would pull back about 3 inches of the vinyl's backing at a time and then pull and place the vinyl taking care not to have folds or bubbles.
View attachment 111049

After pulling it over all the edges and corners, trimming the excess, and folding it over the inside the trim piece looked like this:
View attachment 111057

Finished result:
View attachment 111153 View attachment 111145

Looks good
You could have ordered the black lx trims to swap then ebay’d your oem wood trim

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a shame that people are going to such lengths to cover up the hideous wood paneling; I couldn't believe that I couldn't get any model without it. It almost stopped me from buying the CRV because I hate it that much! At the end of the day I just try not to look at it because I love the car. If anyone has figured out a professional way to cover that junk up without taking the car apart please let me know!!!

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,109 Posts
Moved to Accessories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shame that people are going to such lengths to cover up the hideous wood paneling; I couldn't believe that I couldn't get any model without it. It almost stopped me from buying the CRV because I hate it that much! At the end of the day I just try not to look at it because I love the car. If anyone has figured out a professional way to cover that junk up without taking the car apart please let me know!!!
I completely agree with you! I love the CR-V but absolutely loathe the interior fake...faux... hideous wood trim! I know it sounds shallow but I can't help myself...it just looks so cheap! I have always been a Honda owner & really want to buy a new CR-V but literally have not purchased one specifically because I can't get past the fake wood trim. The dealership just tries to skirt around it & I contacted Honda to see if they have plans to change it...they said no! It is beyond me why in the world it was not just offered as an option. Extremely poor design decision if you ask me...because my best friend purchased a RAV4 last year instead because she hated it too! And I know there must be a number of people out there that feel the same way. I personally don't care for the overall look of the RAV4. As I previously stated...I love the CR-V...if it wasn't for that hideous interior fake wood!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts