Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My great little '98 CRV has a perplexing problem. The electrical system fails intermittently for no reason, stalling the vehicle. So far it has failed approx. 9 times and it has only failed on occasion when I slow down and take my foot off the accelerator at a stop sign or intersection. I have to push it to side of road and after about 2 to 5 minutes, electrical comes back on and I can restart the car. The battery and it's connections, the starter and alternator all have been checked and they are good. I can't continue to drive it for fear that it will fail in heavy traffic at night and I will be left with no headlights, leaving me in danger. It will drive fine for a day to a week or two with no problem. Then it will fail again. Has anyone had a similar problem? What could be the cause? My repairman can't figure it out. HELP!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
When it fails, does anything electrical work?
Dash lights, radio,dome light,horn, brake lights, etc?
I believe that the horn and brake lights are fed through a fuse before the MAIN fuse.
If anything works when that problem happens, it could help pinpoint where the problem is located.

Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,960 Posts
In this vintage of Honda, the ignition switches were prone to fail. Some models/countries had a recall. Even the replacement switches were known to fail eventually.

The switch is ~43 USD from Bernardi,

PartNo: 35130-S10-A01

But if you are saying that the headlights don't work, it's something else.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In this vintage of Honda, the ignition switches were prone to fail. Some models/countries had a recall. Even the replacement switches were known to fail eventually.

The switch is ~43 USD from Bernardi,

PartNo: 35130-S10-A01

But if you are saying that the headlights don't work, it's something else.
Carbuff is right. If headlights are not working, it is something else. Ignition sw. doesn't control the headlight, they are wired directly to the batt. through headlight sw., relay etc. I had the ignition sw. problem on my '10. Car would stop randomly, once it did while backing up from my driveway. Very scary. Obviously, we are in a state of panic and not sure what is on and what is not. On other occasions, I was parking and the car just died. Dash lights would go off and then back on, it would restart immediately after. After reading that ignition sw. have been long time problem on Honda's, I figured that my life is worth more than 43$. I went ahead and replaced the sw. That was last spring. So far so good, never died on me again.
Here's my thread on the subject.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/82114-gen-3-2010-ignition-switch.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts