1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
---------
Edit:
I forgot to update this.

It turned out to be power steering fluid low.

The power steering fluid reservoir was stained so that it appeared to be properly filled, but it wasn't. I filled it up using a paper towel as a make-shift dipstick; the problem was solved.
---------

We've had the CR-V for 14 months, about 10,000 miles. 2007 with 100,000 on it. I did a single drain-fill on the transmission around October, and an oil change, when the minder told me to.

Just recently, last week or so, I've been hearing a mechanical whine sound. It's similar to the sound of driving a bit fast in reverse in a manual transmission car, but more coarse. It only happens some of the time when accelerating from a stop, possibly only when turning a corner at the same time. It will go away if I let off the gas for a few seconds or after a short time.

It is getting louder and more frequent over a pretty short time. Wife can clearly hear it when I point it out.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More information. It doesn't happen at all if the CR-V is well warmed up.

Nobody has any input?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,960 Posts
If your V is AWD, I'd suggest replacing the rear differential fluid. This usually sounds like a moan. On my car it was audible at the first turn of the day.

It's possible the MM was reset when the diff fluid code came up... it's also common that the moaning begins before the MM code comes up.

It's a simple drain and fill. Use the special Dual Pump II fluid available from dealers.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Carbuff2,
That was my first thought also until I looked up OKev's profile.
OKev's profile says it is an 2007 2WD EX 5AT.
I wish there was something in the 'registering' part of this forum that would make the person include the yr,tranny,drive,model and mileage of their CRV and have it automatically included in their posts.
OKev,
Unfortunately, I have no experience with that noise, but hopefully others here have and will post.
More Googling may help as possible searching in this forum.
Many times the links below under the Similar Threads header can be helpful.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. As Buffalo found, I'm in the 2WD variant.

I tried searching the forum and google, but I found searching by a noise-description is quite difficult. I saw a number of different things which ended up not being related.

Checked the similar threads below - no luck.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Do a proper check of the atf level (atf at operating temp, crv level and checked within 60-90 sec of shutting off the engine, I believe). If the fluid is at all dirty or worse, do at least one drain and fill with either Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf , such as Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc atf.
What did the old fluid look like?
What atf did you use when you did the last drain and fill?
Do you still have the old Z-1 in it?
The 2008 2WD CRV drains 2.7qts and holds 7.4 qts total. I don't know if the 2007 is the same.
If you don't know when the fluid was last changed or what was used or if it still has the old Honda Z-1 in it, I would suggest you do 3 more drain and fills with driving time in between each.
Many prefer the Valvoline product, but the new Honda DW-1 is also well received and is the atf recommended by Honda.
You can buy the Valvoline product at Walmart for around $18/gal jug.
To me it would be damn go preventive maintenance to do those extra changes with the proper fluid.
Until others give more informed advice, I would suspect, old or the wrong tranny fluid, axles, wheel bearing, CV joints. Hopefully someone will post their experience and suggestions.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the fluid tomorrow.

I'm not familiar with how ATF normally looks. I recall not thinking that it looked dirty or like it had debris in it.

Worth noting is the single drain+fill I did was about 8 to 10 weeks prior to the noise starting.

I used the correct/most-recent type of fluid bought from the same honda dealer where I bought the CRV. I have some left so I can add if needed.

I do not know what was in it when I bought it, or how old it is.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
If you bought the atf from a Honda Dealer, then it is most likely the Honda DW-1 which is the Honda recommended fluid. The old fluid should look a lot like the new fluid. Clear, pinkish and no burnt smell.
Look at the fluid you have left to compare. Make sure the atf is at or very near the top mark (upper of the two lower holes) on the atf dipstick.
I don't know about the noise you are experiencing, but that I am familiar with the sound (whine) you described about backing up in a manual transmission, good description.
Sorry, I sure hope someone comes up with an answer for you.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checked the fluid, it is right under the upper dot on the stick. So, still stuck on what could be causing it. :confused:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Is the fluid dark or so light it is hard to read on the dipstick?
If it is fairly dark , another drain and fill 'might' help your noise, and even if it doesn't, it will be good for your tranny.
That Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc fluid is only around $18 at Walmart.
If you have others in the car, one more in front and one in back, perhaps you can position the noise better.
Since you said you still had some of the ATF left, what does it say on the bottle ? DW-1 or Z-1?
If you are sitting still in Neutral and rev it up and down slowly, does the noise appear?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to update this.

It turned out to be power steering fluid low.

The power steering fluid reservoir was stained so that it appeared to be properly filled, but it wasn't. I filled it up using a paper towel as a make-shift dipstick; the problem was solved.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Hopefully you can find the leak and slow it down or fix it.
Many time is is just an O-ring.
Buffalo4

1 - 13 of 13 Posts