Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Series 2 2006 Diesel 2200cc, Manual transmission 100k miles UK model
6 months ago had new alternator and battery ( CRUISE hasn't worked since - probably not relevant)

2-3 times over a month it's done this:
Turn the key and all the correct lights come on, next position should start it. But there's nothing more - no turning over, no noise whatsoever, not even a clunk I can hear, no dimming of lights.

First time it dio it, there was just a delay of about 2 seconds.
Later,
After about 30 seconds and half a dozen more tries, it fired and started as normal.
So it's behaving as though there's a bad connection somewhere between the ignition key switch and the starter itself.

I'm reading around but getting lost in different versions of Honda CR-V.
There will be an Ignition Cut relay somewhere - not found yet. Wiring colours would be useful. ????????????
I've seen them as being behind left and right kick plates, as well as under the dash and forward of the fire bulkhead !!

I've read of a plunger on the starter which can stick (solenoid?)
And a contactor with cleanable contacts "up near the battery".

I've also seen "tap the solenoid while turning the key" - where's the solenoid, I think it's probably integral to the starter, inaccessible?
Aargh!

I'm thinking that until it fails completely, I could wire a beeper to the output from the starter cut relay, which I should hear every time I go to start it.
(I teach electronics so have beeper kind of stuff around)

Wiring Diagram anyone?
Cheers

·
Banned
806 Posts
Different car, but same issues. My kid has a truck and it was giving him the same symptoms you're describing. It would start at times, other times nothing. Let it sit and it would start. I replaced the starter 7 months ago and haven't had one issue with it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd be looking at the grounds for the battery and if they check out OK, get a new starter.
Having replaced the battery and alternator tells me that you've probably worked the original starter pretty hard as those other components wore out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts