Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to connect the head unit to the internet using a portable hotspot? And would it be worth it? Are there any apps that you could install and use? I would like to use waze and maybe other apps without using my phone.
Thanks, Bob
'17 Touring

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I have not tried it personally, but the manual says yes. In fact.. they recommend a phone with a hotspot feature as the best way to go about this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes you can do this. And no there isn't any stock apps that are worth while. But you can root the head unit and install apps like Netflix if you wish. Then it is worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes you can do this. And no there isn't any stock apps that are worth while. But you can root the head unit and install apps like Netflix if you wish. Then it is worth it.
I was sad to see it is running Android 4.2.2. Significantly dated. I connected it to the internet but didn't find any update functionality. Hondalink was disappointing. I don't see any benefit to letting it connect to my wifi.

Any links to tutorials to make the head unit better? Think it will void warranty?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Google Honda hack. The xda forums have the most discussion on this. I use it and it's simple to hide from a dealer if you take in for maintenance. And also easily completely removable.

The software is dated yes. But you just load old apk files to it and use those. Works good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Of course you can do this, but why? This may slow down your Internet speed. In my situation, it's completely gone. I decided to make the Internet in the entire house through a single access point. I very much regretted it when my wife and children were at home in the evening. The Internet speed was already weak, but when everyone connected, the Internet completely disappeared. I solved the problem very simply. I changed my provider. Now I have usave and I pay much more for high quality Internet. I advise you to do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was sad to see it is running Android 4.2.2. Significantly dated. I connected it to the internet but didn't find any update functionality. Hondalink was disappointing. I don't see any benefit to letting it connect to my wifi.

Any links to tutorials to make the head unit better? Think it will void warranty?

Android 8.1 Links to my phone's unlimited data hotspot. Download apps from the google store. Google maps, Wazs, Gas Buddy, Amazon Music Unlimited, Google Assistant, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts