Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I got my exhaust pipe fixed.... now I need some battery advice! I bought a **** O'Reilly battery about 3 years ago, and it's lousy. I can't even listen to my tape deck with the ignition on for more than 4 or 5 minutes without the battery draining(That was pretty much how it was when I had the battery put in!).
I USED to buy nothing but Interstate for my cars, but their quality seems to have gone down. Now Advance is selling the Die Hard brand. My question is... which is better?!

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,112 Posts
Die Hard are the best, according to what I read a few years ago. Duralast batteries (from AutoZone) are the same as DH on the inside (also according to what I was reading at the time), and I've had only good results from those.

Autozone's Valuecrap (name is spelled incorrectly on the label) batteries are not worth buying, except as extreme paperweight.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
331 Posts
Interstate has definitely gone downhill, I've never been a fan of them. I prefer Deka batteries and have always had good luck with them. The one in my CRV is about 4-5 years old and still going strong.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,981 Posts
I usually buy Interstate 'Econo Power' batteries, direct from an Interstate warehouse.
These are in-house 'reconditioned' batteries, and every one is VERIFIED and TESTED. The warranty isn't long, but they have lasted for years for us, only had one that failed prematurely over the years.

There are only three or four battery producers marketing in the USA. Age is more important than brand labeling.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Boy, as with everything, different strokes for different folks. People have good luck or bad with the exact same product. My wife’s’98 has had an Interstate for the past 6 years and it’s still going strong.

I think it’s worth paying the extra few bucks for a name brand but I also think maintenance is the biggest key to long battery life. I make sure the battery contacts in both our 1st. Gens. batteries are always kept spotlessly clean and coat them with WD-40 or another good corrosion preventive product once a month. I make sure the battery tray and hold downs are tight and clean. I also trickle charge them at least once a month wether they need it or not.

Believe it or not, the only battery I’ve ever had that didn’t last a minimum of 6 years was an expensive Optima YELLOWTOP that went south in under 2 years and yes, I had a trickle charger made exclusively for AGM batteries and it got the once a month trickle charge.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,710 Posts
Hi all!
I can't even listen to my tape deck with the ignition on for more than 4 or 5 minutes without the battery draining(That was pretty much how it was when I had the battery put in!).
Tape Deck? How on Earth do you prevent the Smithsonian from coming around wanting to "conserve" it?

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,112 Posts
Tape Deck? How on Earth do you prevent the Smithsonian from coming around wanting to "conserve" it?
There are cars 5-6 years newer than these that came with cassette players.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,840 Posts
I think the day of five year batteries with 100% warranty are long gone. Put a Napa Premium AGM in mine two years ago and so far great. Even with the Covid lack of use.https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/957385pdf?$PDF$

Reactions: agentl074

·
Registered
855 Posts
Interstate was horrible for me, but to be fair, anything can be. I have two NAPA Legend batteries in both of our vehicles with the Valvoline battery kit and they are doing well. Before that, we had to do a warranty service on the first NAPA battery -- which was not Valvoline serviced -- and it did not make it through a summer. The NAPA batteries are made by East Penn -- which are supposed to be great, but also, the Duralast Gold are supposed to be good batteries.

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
142 Posts
Always use Interstate here although the Honda battery was just replaced in the Accord and I don't remember when that went in.
Both First Gen CRV's have had Interstates and through SW heat and then north cold, have worked for us. Had an Interstate at 6 years when car sat for a week and wouldn't start. We jumped it and took it in convinced it had to be the battery. Nope. Fuel filter. Some people have more luck with one brand than another.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I recently replaced mine with interstate battery.
I've never had one before so time will tell.

For the price($76) I will not complain if it las 3 years. Compared to energizer and Duracell($104) which both failed 2 to 3 months after the 3rd year when warranty has expired.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently replaced mine with interstate battery.
I've never had one before so time will tell.

For the price($76) I will not complain if it las 3 years. Compared to energizer and Duracell($104) which both failed 2 to 3 months after the 3rd year when warranty has expired.
There were different "levels" of Interstate when we bought them. I think we usually go with ones marketed for 5 years. I know the one we put in the Accord was about $150.

·
Registered
199 Posts
AFAIK batteries are all made by two companies with various seller putting their names on them. That's what a reliable service shop guy that fixies our vehicles told me that don't believe all those stories the makers are less then we think they just make it sound better and charge more for the same types of batteries. Some have 3 year but 2 year is the warranty with the 3rd a prorated should the battery fail and you get a percentage discount on the replacement battery. So what you want you want is CCA the higher the better because as it gets colder and battery ages this takes more to start in cold or wet weather.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
331 Posts
Believe it or not, the only battery I’ve ever had that didn’t last a minimum of 6 years was an expensive Optima YELLOWTOP that went south in under 2 years and yes, I had a trickle charger made exclusively for AGM batteries and it got the once a month trickle charge.
That trickle charger may have been what killed it. AGM batteries do not like to be charged like that and have a very long shelf life. If you DO need to charge it, it's needs done at a very slow rate unlike a flooded battery and certainly not left on for days on end. Doesn't matter how 'smart' the charger is.

It helped that you had a specific AGM battery charger but that still doesn't mean it should be left unattended. I got 5 years out of my Odyssey PC680 on my CRX closely monitoring the charging method. Was hoping for the 7-8 years as rated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
rocky said:
I think the day of five year batteries with 100% warranty are long gone. Put a Napa Premium AGM in mine two years ago
We have Bosch AGM's purchased on special sales days from Advance Auto, using perks, coupons and credit card bonus points. They all came with non-prorated 100% 4 year warranties and had an occasion to test warrantly few months ago. One of the AGM's on it's 3rd year reported a bad cell (we use Foxwell series testers on all our Honda batteries periodically). The store manager did not blink an eye but popped a newly minted Bosch AGM on the table and it was swapped out under warrantly for a nominal fee of seven dollars (some recovery fee and tax).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Replace the small 51R battery with a 24F (and the Odyssey battery tray).
Adds 200 CCA and a long accessory time. Fits in where the crappy 51R battery goes.
I went with the Walmart 3 year 100% warranty 24F battery.

The bigger the battery - the longer it will run in accessory mode.

Search for replacing battery with 24F on this site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. I wonder if you've considered going to an automobile junkyard that allows part picking and purchasing a battery there. I've done it for my vehicle and paid less than I would for a new battery. Cars that end up in the junkyard are mostly there because of an unplanned accident. The Pick'nPull lot near me will pull batteries and tires, inspect them, and place the batteries and tires out for purchase, and for other parts a person brings their tools and goes in the yard to pull their parts. I compare the cranking amps and purchase a direct fit battery. It's first come first serve. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2019 Honda CRV Touring
2 Posts
Hi all!
I got my exhaust pipe fixed.... now I need some battery advice! I bought a **** O'Reilly battery about 3 years ago, and it's lousy. I can't even listen to my tape deck with the ignition on for more than 4 or 5 minutes without the battery draining(That was pretty much how it was when I had the battery put in!).
I USED to buy nothing but Interstate for my cars, but their quality seems to have gone down. Now Advance is selling the Die Hard brand. My question is... which is better?!
I only bought DieHard for many years from Sears. Unfortunately, the last few I bought (10-15 years ago) died during the warranty period. When I took it back to Sears I found that the prorated warranty was worthless since it was applied to the list price. It was always cheaper to buy one that was on sale. I didn't have problems with earlier batteries, so I assumed their quality was going down.

I then moved to Duralast from Auto Zone. I purchased two or three from them (I also help maintain other family members' cars). My experience was they generally last past the warranty period, but not by much. Their prices have increased significantly lately so I started looking around.

Someone suggested buying an Exide from Home Depot. Yeah, Home Depot. The price was right, around $100 for most sizes and $130 for a larger ones. They have a three year replacement warranty. If the battery fails you return a defective battery to Home Depot and they give you a replacement. Some of the reviewers complained that HD didn't know how to handle the warranty, but if you search the reviews you'll see a response from Exide. I suggest printing that response and keep it with your receipt. I've bought three in the last last year and so far no problems.

Hi all!

·
Registered
08 CR-V EXL 334K and counting!
7 Posts
As has been mentioned by some above East Penn Deka is a good, reliable, and importantly the last Made in the USA brand of lead-acid car battery available out there. I’m not sure of other brands they’re marketed under but NAPA is one of the main ones, and I just saw Blain’s Farm and Fleet sells East Penn Deka brand batteries as well.

I’ve used them exclusively in my vehicles since the mid 90’s and never once had a battery issue, the last one I just swapped out of the ‘08 CRV was it’s third battery, the first being factory, and the second being a NAPA Deka I installed in 2013, the CRV now has 344K miles on it and it’ll likely never need another battery if this new one lasts for 7 years and 200K.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts