Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all!
I got my exhaust pipe fixed.... now I need some battery advice! I bought a **** O'Reilly battery about 3 years ago, and it's lousy. I can't even listen to my tape deck with the ignition on for more than 4 or 5 minutes without the battery draining(That was pretty much how it was when I had the battery put in!).
I USED to buy nothing but Interstate for my cars, but their quality seems to have gone down. Now Advance is selling the Die Hard brand. My question is... which is better?!
i would bet real money it is not the battery. sounds like the voltage regulator you can get that tested. Battery should only start the car NOT run accessories

Good Luck

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all!
I got my exhaust pipe fixed.... now I need some battery advice! I bought a **** O'Reilly battery about 3 years ago, and it's lousy. I can't even listen to my tape deck with the ignition on for more than 4 or 5 minutes without the battery draining(That was pretty much how it was when I had the battery put in!).
I USED to buy nothing but Interstate for my cars, but their quality seems to have gone down. Now Advance is selling the Die Hard brand. My question is... which is better?!
Stay away from Interstate!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think Project Farm on YouTube found that Walmart Everstart batteries do quite well. I’ve used them recently and been satisfied with the results, even in my riding mower.
Johnson Controls makes over half of the batteries sold in the USA.
Project Farm battery comparison

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would bet real money it is not the battery. sounds like the voltage regulator you can get that tested. Battery should only start the car NOT run accessories

Good Luck

Jim
after 20 comments you hit the head on the nail. Something might be draining the battery already and the tape deck is just killing it. Or maybe the alternator is going out and is only slowly charging it. Car wizard had a video on this regarding checking voltage and the car (think it was a Porsche) had some emergency phone button that was draining the battery.
not many battery manufacturers. A lot of these are just rebranded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Walmart Everstart Maxx is the one to buy. There are threads talking about how to upgrade from the original 51F battery, go read them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It doesn't make any difference - Johnson Controls makes Interstate, Duralast, DieHard, and Everstart batteries so pick the name you like the best - it's all the same product except for the logo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tape Deck? How on Earth do you prevent the Smithsonian from coming around wanting to "conserve" it?
HAH! Yep... tape deck! Actually, the factory deck went "boink" years ago... I have my beloved Kenwood in the dash... and while it has trouble playing in colder weather, it still plays great... and I love it! I'm trying to find a NOS Kenwood like mine, but it's damned near impossible! :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Good Luck

Jim
Well... the alternator was replaced AFTER I bought that O'Reilly's battery, but I supposed the VR COULD'VE been "iffy" to begin with. A friend of mine, who lives up the street, used to run an auto electric repair shop... I'm going to see if he'd be willing to check the VR for me. Too bad he's retired, though, since I really trust him for fixing my alternator or starter!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Boy...y'all's replies are all over the map! I guess the ONE takeaway from all this is don't buy Interstate! I guess one of the things I'm concerned about, which one of you touched on, was if Die Hard is STILL a good battery since Advance bought the brand!
Also, I'm REALLY shocked that CONSUMER REPORTS rated a WALMART battery as SUPERIOR! I tried accessing their ratings a week or two ago, but of COURSE you have to subscribe to get them....GRRRRRR! I thought they were a NON-PROFIT!

·
Registered
1998 Honda CRV 2WD Automatic
2 Posts
Hi all!
There are only a couple of battery manufacturers left in the US so "brand" means little regarding battery longevity.

The best course is price and warranty and it's hard to beat Walmart as the first generation CRV only allows one physical size option. Now it's down to the "Maxx" vs. lower level of "economy" batteries and the smart choice is to get the best for $129 (here in Austin, TX). This battery offers a three year free replacement and is pro rated beyond that time. Auto parts stores are the worst places to buy batteries unless you don't mind paying top dollar for the same battery that sells for much less at WallyWorld!

An aside with the first generation CRV is that you are stuck with the 51R batteries! Underpowered but no choice for a larger battery. Later generations allowed enough space for Group 24 batteries that offer 700 cold cranking amps vs. the miserable low 500 for the 51R batteries that are the only option for 1st generation CRVs...
Hi all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Consumers Report tests car batteries all of the time and there is a wild swing between performance based on Group Size. I just replaced my 2018 CR-V battery by what CR said and it was a Duracell Group 51R.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi all!
I have had the best luck with AAA Auto Club batteries. They have a great warranty. I've had better reliability with those vs. Die-Hard batteries. I would never purchase a car battery from an Auto parts store.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Crv AWD SE Auto 4speed
13 Posts
Hi all!
I put a die hard silver in my V this winter when my old one quit and left me stranded. Its been in for a couple months now no issues, 3 month warranty comes with it also.

·
Registered
855 Posts
As has been mentioned by some above East Penn Deka is a good, reliable, and importantly the last Made in the USA brand of lead-acid car battery available out there. I’m not sure of other brands they’re marketed under but NAPA is one of the main ones, and I just saw Blain’s Farm and Fleet sells East Penn Deka brand batteries as well.

I’ve used them exclusively in my vehicles since the mid 90’s and never once had a battery issue, the last one I just swapped out of the ‘08 CRV was it’s third battery, the first being factory, and the second being a NAPA Deka I installed in 2013, the CRV now has 344K miles on it and it’ll likely never need another battery if this new one lasts for 7 years and 200K.
This is what I have in both mine and my wife's CR-Vs... the NAPA Legend battery which is made by East Penn ;) We also had the battery protection service done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That trickle charger may have been what killed it. AGM batteries do not like to be charged like that and have a very long shelf life. If you DO need to charge it, it's needs done at a very slow rate unlike a flooded battery and certainly not left on for days on end. Doesn't matter how 'smart' the charger is.

It helped that you had a specific AGM battery charger but that still doesn't mean it should be left unattended. I got 5 years out of my Odyssey PC680 on my CRX closely monitoring the charging method. Was hoping for the 7-8 years as rated.
The OEM battery on our 2018 CRV-EX died a sudden death a few weeks ago. My mechanic neighbor replaced it for me with a DieHard Platinum AGM from Advance. I have an old charger with auto-shut off/on that can be set to charge at 2 amps. I usually charge overnight using the 2 amp setting. However, I have read that AGM's are somehow different. So, if trickle-charging is not OK, how did you get 7 to 8 years out of your AGM battery? How did you maintain it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 CR-V EX
2 Posts
Hi all!
DieHard for sure

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Locally, the Honda battery was about the same cost as the aftermarket batteries, and the warranty is good for three years (full), with the remaining 64 months pro-rated. No issues so far (one in a CR-V, the other in a Civic), even after going for a week or two undriven, with a top-up charge as needed (if it goes beyond a week).

·
Registered
855 Posts
Regardless of the battery, you might want to run your headlights all the time to keep the charge healthy. Honda likes to back off the voltage charge with low load, but that can deplete your battery -- especially with short trips. Plus, driving with your headlights on makes you more visible to other drivers ;)

Reactions: LongTimeCRV

·
Registered
142 Posts
Regardless of the battery, you might want to run your headlights all the time to keep the charge healthy. Honda likes to back off the voltage charge with low load, but that can deplete your batter -- especially with short trips. Plus, driving with your headlights on makes you more visible to other drivers ;)
Headlights always on. Learn that on long trips with little traffic and the oncoming cars you do encounter seem to have forgotten there are two lanes on the road. Some unexpected lights seems to help the situation.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts