Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iPhone 11 isn’t connecting. I can see the device on my Honda but I get a connection error everyone I try. My device is on Bluetooth
Please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
There is a wide range of Apple phones that are compatible, according to the linked site. So Apple phones have been compatible for years now. Of course the core responsibility on this rests with Apple, being as they like to claim all their phones are essentially intercompatible (until they deprecate a model). No way Honda can predict anything Apple will or will not do.

I think the real question is.. is this an iOS thing or the actual hardware in the Apple 11, since the X family are compatible. My guess is this is more of an iOS issue.... but you would have to talk with Honda and Apple to be sure on that. Be prepared for the great finger pointing war though. :) Either the Apple side of this, or the Honda side, or both may need a software update.

Personally, we do not use handsfreelink in our Hondas. Just one more software point of failure to deal with. And if there are multiple phones inside the car, sometimes the car gets confused. I simply hardwired a lightening cable to my wife's phone cradle in her Accord. She uses Carplay almost exclusively and it works great. In my CRV.. I simply do not connect my phone at all.. it stays in my pocket.. because when I am driving I don't want distractions and I have no need to be constantly checking my phone.

I guess I am kind of old school like Kloker in this regard :p ... as I also do not use wireless inside my home if ethernet is an option for a device either. As a retired electrical engineer, I know wire is always more reliable then no wire.... but yeah.. some things like tablets and phones are not really ethernet enabled so I go with the lower performance and prone to interference wireless.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
There is a wide range of Apple phones that are compatible, according to the linked site.
Depends on which 2019 CR-V model you're looking at.

The EX only supports iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and 5s but not my SE that's less than four years old. The 5s was released in 2013.

The Touring models have a much longer list of iPhones they support, including the 4 and 5 series noted above and my SE. But even they don't support the iPhone 11, which was only released a couple months ago.

And I don't think it's an iOS issue, as my iPhone SE is running iOS 13.1.1 which was released less one month ago.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Depends on which 2019 CR-V model you're looking at.

The EX only supports iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and 5s but not my SE that's less than four years old. The 5s was released in 2013.

The Touring models have a much longer list of iPhones they support, including the 4 and 5 series noted above and my SE. But even they don't support the iPhone 11, which was only released a couple months ago.

And I don't think it's an iOS issue, as my iPhone SE is running iOS 13.1.1 which was released less one month ago.
Interesting. Setting aside the US base trim LX.....what is different between the EX and Touring Trims that affects connectivity of different iphones models and generations? Does this apply with Carplay too?

As for iOS... every time an update is released.... Apple does generally break some things... so it could still be an iOS issue of some sort.

If the 11 is not supported, someone (either Apple or Honda) does need to explain why in my view.... but given new iphone hardware is generally reverse compatible with respect to earlier designs... perhaps Honda simply has not added the new phone to the list yet.. and the original posters issue may not be due to this.. but something else.

Definitely a mystery to be solved though. :)

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,461 Posts
11 pro works fine in our 2017

Delete all the phones on car, reboot the headunit,
Change the iPhone 11 name & re sync it

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
iPhone had an update IOS 13.1.3 today. One of the issues was some cars having problem with Bluetooth. My iPhone XR works fine with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It may be the audio units (aka headunit, aka radio) or Navigation system in the CR-V model.

LX - 39171-TLA-A01
EX - 39101-TLA-A11
EXL - 39101-TLA-A21
EXL Navi - 39101-TLA-A51
Touring Navi - 39101-TLA-A61

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
It may be the audio units (aka headunit, aka radio) or Navigation system in the CR-V model.

LX - 39171-TLA-A01
EX - 39101-TLA-A11
EXL - 39101-TLA-A21
EXL Navi - 39101-TLA-A51
Touring Navi - 39101-TLA-A61
Well that answers my question about what is different between a Touring and an EX having a different list of compatible phones.

It's a little mind boggling that Honda has that many part numbers in play. I would have expected to see only 3, one for the LX, one for the Touring with NAV which I would expect would also apply to EXL-NAV, and one for the non-nav head unit in the EX and EXL.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
11 pro works fine in our 2017

Delete all the phones on car, reboot the headunit,
Change the iPhone 11 name & re sync it
What trim level is your CRV?

This does sort of indicate that Honda has just not updated their compatibility web site for the 11... but could be more involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts