Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I believe this was mentioned before, but has anyone tried the following:

iPhone in hotspot wifi mode with an Android tablet connected to it for wifi. Then connect the tablet to the CRV and use Waze? In theory it could work. I'm going to borrow an android tablet this weekend and try it out.

If you have already tried this, let us know how it worked out.
thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That is alot of steps for Waze. Easier to just do the hack in honda tech mode everytime you get in the crv and use it on the screen through your iphone

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree. I was more curious than anything. Will report my findings back this weekend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This should work in theory. However android auto requires bluetooth for audio. It will not let you connect to other bluetooth source while running android auto. That means navigation and music via the tablet will work fine, but you won't be able to make calls or text via your iphone. The iphone's purpose will only be to provide data to the android tablet.

This IS extra steps, but its only necessary the first time you set up. After that, you can leave the tablet connected in the vehicle, hide it in the center storage never to be seen again, and leave your phone's hotspot on. whenever you get in the vehicle, the tablet will auto connect to the known wifi and android auto will already be running & ready. There's a setting in android auto to disable wifi when it runs, so make sure you have that unchecked.

If you have to have phone/text functions, you're better off mounting your tablet as a second screen dedicated to waze.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I didn't get very far. Went to install Android auto on a Galaxy Tab A tablet. The Android app store says its not compatible and would not let me download it. Reading the info on Android auto it says "you'll need a phone running android 5.0 or higher"

So I guess a phone is a requirement to run android auto.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a long known runtime-only (not permanent) tweak to override so-called "security protection" (or if put in other way, "competition deterrent") mechanism to auto-disable HDMI when the car is 1)off parking brake, 2)moving, 3)moves faster then 5mph. The idea is to mirror your iPhone to large dashboard screen (but not to the smaller screen above) and use whatever app you want. You will need a $99 cable from Honda, or a cheaper one from Apple or even Walmart, they sometimes work as well, depend on your luck.

Essentially it is a combination of hardware keys you press and hold together in certain conditions, which reveals a hidden configuration menu, and allows you to temporarily disable this option (known as VSP error) until the next ignition cycle. The actual combination and conditions depend on the car year/trim and possibly firmware version, so not posting any details here (let alone it may be illegal by forum rules at the very least). Lots of examples on youtube, just google your year/trim with something like "HDMI enable when driving".
I couldn't get this to work with my 2015 Touring, though.

Another option is to jailbreak your iPhone to install an outside tweak that would let HondaLink application to be active in the background regardless of what other application you use, so the dashboard will allow you to use Google Maps, Waze etc. believing you gave in to non-competitive $60 Honda's Navi for iOS.

So, all above considered, getting a cheap 7"+ tablet and mounting it Tesla-style may be the easiest options for non-techies, especially if equipped with offline maps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is this hack you speak of?
This is a long known runtime-only (not permanent) tweak to override so-called "security protection" (or if put in other way, "competition deterrent") mechanism to auto-disable HDMI when the car is 1)off parking brake, 2)moving, 3)moves faster then 5mph. The idea is to mirror your iPhone to large dashboard screen (but not to the smaller screen above) and use whatever app you want. You will need a $99 cable from Honda, or a cheaper one from Apple or even Walmart, they sometimes work as well, depend on your luck.

Essentially it is a combination of hardware keys you press and hold together in certain conditions, which reveals a hidden configuration menu, and allows you to temporarily disable this option (known as VSP error) until the next ignition cycle. The actual combination and conditions depend on the car year/trim and possibly firmware version, so not posting any details here (let alone it may be illegal by forum rules at the very least). Lots of examples on youtube, just google your year/trim with something like "HDMI enable when driving".
I couldn't get this to work with my 2015 Touring, though.

Another option is to jailbreak your iPhone to install an outside tweak that would let HondaLink application to be active in the background regardless of what other application you use, so the dashboard will allow you to use Google Maps, Waze etc. believing you gave in to non-competitive $60 Honda's Navi for iOS.

So, all above considered, getting a cheap 7"+ tablet and mounting it Tesla-style may be the easiest options for non-techies, especially if equipped with offline maps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts