Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of you who "know" me, also know I have been very happy with my CR-V, and have been vocal about it. Never any evidence of oil dilution, or cabin heat issues, in fact, it has been one of the best vehicles I have ever bought, out of many, many.

Long story short, I traded it in today for a '19 Acura RDX w/ Advance package. Had planned on replacing my wife's 15 Escape, with a new car for me, and she would then drive the CR-V. Good long term vehicle, I figured, as she hates getting new cars. Well, she decided she wanted to keep the Escape, so we traded the CR-V instead. I've been pining for a "premium" vehicle for a while, and am now at a point in life where that is possible.

Got $26,500 for the CR-V with 15,500 miles, against a purchase price on the RDX that was about $200 under invoice, PLUS a $1,000 loyalty rebate. So, it appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V.

So, the irony is that most folks here who have posted that they have sold or traded in their CR-Vs because of issues, future concerns, or "plummeting resale values, I almost hated to part with it.

I'll hang around, to help out where I can, and as I am very interested to see how these issues and Honda's response play out.

EDIT: Thought I'd add this picture of the MPG I was getting on my last tank with the CR-V, I think this is my highest yet! Won't come near this with the RDX!

mpg1.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't know how you can say it was the best vehicle you ever had after only owning it for only 15,500 miles. The best vehicles I have ever had I have kept for 15-20 years because they have been dependable over the long haul and I truly loved them and hated parting with them. The last MDX I had I got rid of at 207,000 miles because it was going to need some major maintenance and I couldn't justify that nor did I fell that it was dependable any longer. It needed an engine replacement at 90,000 miles but overall it was a vehicle I enjoyed driving and I felt safe in it. Trading a CRV for RDX is still part of the Honda family so I'm sure they considered that when they gave you $26,500. If you had traded for a Lexus I doubt they would have put that much value on your trade. All that said enjoy the RDX I know several people who have them and love them.

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how you can say it was the best vehicle you ever had after only owning it for only 15,500 miles. The best vehicles I have ever had I have kept for 15-20 years because they have been dependable over the long haul and I truly loved them and hated parting with them. The last MDX I had I got rid of at 207,000 miles because it was going to need some major maintenance and I couldn't justify that nor did I fell that it was dependable any longer. It needed an engine replacement at 90,000 miles but overall it was a vehicle I enjoyed driving and I felt safe in it. Trading a CRV for RDX is still part of the Honda family so I'm sure they considered that when they gave you $26,500. If you had traded for a Lexus I doubt they would have put that much value on your trade. All that said enjoy the RDX I know several people who have them and love them.
Part of my "one of the best" refers to overall satisfaction with the way it drives, the fuel economy, the features, roominess, and the fact that it has been trouble free.

You are probably right about Honda family helping with trade in value. Works for me!

And thanks for the good words on my enjoying the RDX!

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Surprised you got rid of the V after hearing how much you loved it. But, happy wife, happy life! :)
Yes, me too! I figure the RDX is a CR-V with more stuff, and more HP! My happiness with the CR-V kept me in the Honda Family!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Looks like the new RDX has more much more power and I think a 10 speed auto tranny so it should be a night and day difference from our little CRV buzz bomb.

One of these days I will purchase a pickup and hand mine off to my SO.

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the new RDX has more much more power and I think a 10 speed auto tranny so it should be a night and day difference from our little CRV buzz bomb.

Yep, it is as you say!

The funny thing here is when I bought the CRV, I intended to drive it a couple of years, then sell the wife's Escape, get me a new car, and then she would drive the CRV. When we started looking at cars this round, she finally said, she did not want to drive the CRV, she felt her Escape was more comfortable and quieter. It just might be. Wive's are rarely wrong!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,781 Posts

Yup, 2.0turbo for starters.

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, 2.0turbo for starters.
Supposedly it's the same engine and trans as the current Accord. 272 HP in the RDX

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got $26,500 for the CR-V with 15,500 miles, against a purchase price on the RDX that was about $200 under invoice, PLUS a $1,000 loyalty rebate. So, it appears that there is not much problem with reduced resale values on the 5th Gen CR-V.

So, the irony is that most folks here who have posted that they have sold or traded in their CR-Vs because of issues, future concerns, or "plummeting resale values, I almost hated to part with it.

]
What year was your CRV and I assume it was a Touring correct?

The new RDX is a sweet ride, I drove one.
Good luck with it and enjoy it.

I got a 2018 CRV EX with barely 3K miles and I got trade offers around $21K, from Toyota, Mazda and a Lexus dealerships.

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year was your CRV and I assume it was a Touring correct?

The new RDX is a sweet ride, I drove one.
Good luck with it and enjoy it.

I got a 2018 CRV EX with barely 3K miles and I got trade offers around $21K, from Toyota, Mazda and a Lexus dealerships.
2018 CR-V Touring 2WD
Yes, the new RDX is very nice, I hope i will enjoy it, as I doubt my wife will put up with me replacing it for years!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hoping to trade wife's car in for an RDX in a yr or so. Maybe will find a good certified used 18 or 19. Wanting to go back to that luxury feel, and Acura's service is so much nicer experience.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hoping to trade wife's car in for an RDX in a yr or so. Maybe will find a good certified used 18 or 19. Wanting to go back to that luxury feel, and Acura's service is so much nicer experience.
18's are junk, based on the gen 4 CR-V. The 19's are on a new unique platform and much improved.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Considered the same trade, but several car reviews really ding hard the control system including CR. Other then that, it getting good overall reviews with a price not much more then a Cr-V Touring on the low-end trim RDX. Seems like Honda not charging much of a premiums over essentially the same 2.0LT engine/10 sp tran as in the Accord, which is good also.

My guess, it will be a long time before, if ever, we see this combo in the Cr-V.

Pls keep us updated how you adjust to its control over time or like it. Thanks

·
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Considered the same trade, but several car reviews really ding hard the control system including CR. Other then that, it getting good overall reviews with a price not much more then a Cr-V Touring on the low-end trim RDX. Seems like Honda not charging much of a premiums over essentially the same 2.0LT engine/10 sp tran as in the Accord, which is good also.

My guess, it will be a long time before, if ever, we see this combo in the Cr-V.

Pls keep us updated how you adjust to its control over time or like it. Thanks
I'm not sure what you are referring to: "control system including CR"

Thanks in advance for explaining.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not sure what you are referring to: "control system including CR"

Thanks in advance for explaining.
From what I remember of the article, I think he is referring to Consumer Reports (CR). CR had some misgivings about push button gear selection and infotainment touchpad control---so not sure which control system??????

1 - 20 of 43 Posts