Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD that I drove as the primary for almost 3 years. A month ago I passed it to my kids and bought a new 2020 CR-V EX-L AWD for myself.

On the 3rd tank now and the gas mileage still seems to be quite a bit poorer than my 2017 (about 2-3 MPG lower for similar driving). Is it maybe still in a break-in period or something? My 2017 averaged about 27.4 MPG and the 2020 is around 24.6 MPG.

On my 2017 I tracked every single fill-up and mileage from day 1. The 2017 computer did always report on average 0.7-0.8 better MPG than the calculated trip miles divided by the gallons pumped. Maybe the accuracy from the CR-V is better now or I just need to get a couple thousand miles on the 2020 to get better accuracy and know what to expect.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is a comment I made a couple months back. I always disable start stop so this will make a slight difference in the city. The specs show slightly lower fuel economy for the 2020 models but I would gladly trade this fir a car that heats up quickly in the winter without any sign of oil dilution.

“The 2020 CRV has start/stop technology but gets slightly less fuel economy than the 2019 and earlier models.
Sorry about using metric but I am quoting litres per 100 km of range as indicated on the Honda Canada site

2019 CRV all 4wd models gets 8.7/7.2/8.0 (L/100 km city/highway/combined)
2020 CRV all 4wd models gets 8.7/7.4/8.1 (L/100 km. with the start /stop)

To me it looks like the 2020 CRV’s get the same mileage in the city as earlier models but only with start/stop activated and use somewhat more fuel on the highway where it would not activate. So what is different with the 2020 models? Mine certainly heats up quickly, no fuel smell or “other issues“ seem to be occurring.”

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
To me it looks like the 2020 CRV’s get the same mileage in the city as earlier models but only with start/stop activated and use somewhat more fuel on the highway where it would not activate. So what is different with the 2020 models? Mine certainly heats up quickly, no fuel smell or “other issues“ seem to be occurring.”
My guess is that Honda made some additional adjustments to engine tuning and fuel feed to better address the early issues with some CRVs being prone to oil dilution with fuel, and inability to quickly warm the cabin, in very cold weather conditions. Maybe even some key component updates or changes.. such as the GDI system. I would fully expect this to result in some minor changes in fuel economy, which they would compensate with in other ways... such as auto start/stop.

Of course it could be a host of other minor changes in the refresh of the gen5 CRV for 2020 too. With so many different components and systems in the vehicle, and Hondas determination to continually improve EPA numbers, they could have fiddled with a wide range of small changes to tweak a little here and there to balance earlier issues with engine warm-up VS EPA goals.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My guess is that Honda made some additional adjustments to engine tuning and fuel feed to better address the early issues with some CRVs being prone to oil dilution with fuel, and inability to quickly warm the cabin, in very cold weather conditions. Maybe even some key component updates or changes.. such as the GDI system. I would fully expect this to result in some minor changes in fuel economy, which they would compensate with in other ways... such as auto start/stop"...............

·
Registered
191 Posts
sorry screwed up the reply but anyway....
I agree and would not be surprised if those taking many very short trips on their 2020 models will see much less fuel economy than earlier models.
I would still gladly exchange a fuel economy hit for minimal heating or oil dilution issues. Took the CRV for a nice country drive yesterday and my aged but very nice 2004 Acura TSX for a drive in the country today (basic 2.4L engine but higher compression requiring premium fuel, 200 hp from that engine). For those of you parking your cars during covid, try to take them for a run from time to time or at least put a battery maintainer on them.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
It's a bit early, with only one tank on our 2020 Touring 2WD, but the mpg numbers seem to be the same as what we obtained on our departed '18 Touring 2WD. Time will tell.
2018 lifetime average (calculated) over 15,000+ miles : 33.56 mpg
2020 first tank: 33.1 mpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD that I drove as the primary for almost 3 years. A month ago I passed it to my kids and bought a new 2020 CR-V EX-L AWD for myself.

On the 3rd tank now and the gas mileage still seems to be quite a bit poorer than my 2017 (about 2-3 MPG lower for similar driving). Is it maybe still in a break-in period or something? My 2017 averaged about 27.4 MPG and the 2020 is around 24.6 MPG.

On my 2017 I tracked every single fill-up and mileage from day 1. The 2017 computer did always report on average 0.7-0.8 better MPG than the calculated trip miles divided by the gallons pumped. Maybe the accuracy from the CR-V is better now or I just need to get a couple thousand miles on the 2020 to get better accuracy and know what to expect.
How many total miles are on it? If you are only on the third fill up, your miles is low and it is still breaking in. Give it some time, at least til after first oil change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many total miles are on it? If you are only on the third fill up, your miles is low and it is still breaking in. Give it some time, at least til after first oil change.
I'm only at about 570 miles so far on the 2020. I'll keep an eye on how it hopefully improves over the next few tanks as well. Likely will get better mileage as the weather starts to warm a bit as well.

I will say compared to the 2017, this 2020 does heat up faster in the cabin on the cold mornings which is nice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
...My 2017 averaged about 27.4 MPG and the 2020 is around 24.6 MPG.

On my 2017 I tracked every single fill-up and mileage from day 1...
You're saying the 27.4 MPG in your 2017 is a year-round average?

Whereas, I bet your new 2020 is using only winter blend gasoline.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're saying the 27.4 MPG in your 2017 is a year-round average?

Whereas, I bet your new 2020 is using only winter blend gasoline.

Good point. I'll have to check the comparison once summer blend comes. Another fair point is that I bought the 2020 at the end of Feb and the old one in June 2017 so it started off with a higher average.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
For those of you parking your cars during covid, try to take them for a run from time to time or at least put a battery maintainer on them.
I very definitely agree with you about keeping a smart battery maintainer on your battery during the shelter in place orders due to COVID-19. Hondas, with the dual charging system will recharge a low battery fairly quickly, but then begin cycling into low charge mode and the vehicle actually bleeds some charge from the battery while driving. So I rarely see a fully charged battery when I check it after driving, unless I kept my headlights on (which over-rides the low charge mode, at the minor expense on fuel economy).

We typically only go out once a week or so now for some groceries, so both of our Hondas are sitting in the garage all week... with the normal low power parasitic slowly bleeding the battery of charge. While a battery in good condition can handle this for at least several weeks... it is never good to let charge bleed off of a battery below 12.3 vdc (which can happen in about 10 days if your battery was fully charged when you parked). So.. with this in mind, I keep a NOCO smart charger hooked up to each one when parked. Smart chargers do an excellent job of keeping your battery topped up and won't damage the battery. In fact.. keeping a good slow saturation charge topped up on a battery can go a long way to prolonging it's life span.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yesterday, I coasted down a typical steep long hill where I live. I got 94+ mpg!! :LOL:

Today, coasting down the blvd for a few miles, I got 66+ mpg!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep... not only does running it periodically helps keep the battery charged, but it also prevents moisture buildup in the fuel system ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts

our 2017 Cr-v Tour gets 31 to 33 mpg. Always run on Econ . Southern Indiana

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts

My 2019 gets about 26 sround town, very disapointing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts