Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked if I could pick up my nephew's 3 year old kid when I will already have the rest of my family of 4 with me. I suggested we put the baby seat in the front and then my wife and kids could try to squeeze in the back, but they don't want the 3 year old riding in the front due to the air bags.

Has anyone tried stuffing a rear facing car seat in the back, along with 2 other large kids (an 11 and 13 year old)? Any chance of this working, or would you say no way?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Never put a car seat (particluarly rear facing) in the front seat. In some states it is actually illegal to do so. If the airbag goes off.. the child may be killed. Even the Honda manuals tells you not to do this.

The only exception would be if you have a switch to disable the passenger side airbag.. but even then.. it's not the best seat position for placing a child (due to side impact collisions). I personally do not know if this is even an option in Hondas, as I have never even considered doing so.

As for the back seat... yes.. you can easily fit one car seat and two passengers (even reasonably sized adults) in the gen5 rear seat. The car seat needs to be placed in the middle seat position for maximum safety of the child (again... side impact collision mitigation, which is most important for small children). It may feel a bit cozy to the two kids not in the car seat.. but it is the safest choice.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
And is the carseat LATCH-compatible (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)?

There is a section in your Owners Manual on securing carseats, including where the LATCH attachments are.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes I have a car seat in the middle seat of the back row and two regular sized adults fit on either side. Of course, "regular" means something different to everyone :D

And yes, the CRV is equipped with the anchors for the car seat base latch such that you can put the car seat in any one of the three positions. Although, depending on your specific model of car seat, the latch/base could block the car's seatbelt latches

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
765 Posts
I have two child seats (one ISOFIX-mounted and one loose) in the back of my G4 and the room in the middle space fits one really, really skinny child.

·
Registered
235 Posts
While it can be force fit I wouldn't inflict this on my family (in any generation of CRV).

Upgrade to a Pilot / Odyssey and yes/ 3 abreast - but even then I'd only do it for short periods of time (with them just use the third row seating).

·
Registered
202 Posts
It'll work fine as long as your family aren't fatties. :)
Ha ha, refer to my post above regarding "regular".....definitions abound! :D

Here are photos of how the carseat/base interact with the seat belt latches. The car seat model is an Uppababy Mesa and in my car it's situated in the middle position. As you can see the base comes right next to the buckle for the rear-driverside seat's seatbelt. It doesn't cover it but because it is right next to it and there's an overhang from the base, it makes it very very difficult to insert that seat's seatbelt latch into the buckle. Ironically when I 10 year old niece sat in that spot she had no problem because her hands were smaller and could easily fit under the car seat base's overhang. As you can see in the photo I've added a seat belt buckle extension to eliminate this problem. It is the gray colored piece you see. It comes from this company: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/

I specifically chose gray color so it would be obvious this is an extender and not part of the factory seat belt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Redleader provides a great explanation of the design flaw in the CRV's factory seat belt. i wasn't aware that such an extension existed so this is a great help: i will look into this because sitting next to the center car seat is a big pain without such an extension. my only concern is whether this compromises safety in any way.

thanks for sharing Redleader74!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The company that makes the extension "seems" very legit, per the website. However, I'm sure that if push comes to shove, Honda would of course say they would have nothing to do with it. In other places I read that by using an extension, the length of OEM belt being used is shorter than it would otherwise be and could affect the tensioner in hard braking/accident situation. It's not often that someone sits in that seat so it's just there for an emergency. You can eventually get the factory latch into the factor buckle if you try long enough and hard enough....it's the opposite that I'm worried about: in an emergency situation if that passenger needs to get out of the car quickly and can't reach the release button to unlatch their seat belt. I suppose that could be true either way, needing to hop in and take off right way but that passenger is still fiddling with the seat belt.

I realized that my photos do not show the "before" state so you can clearly see how the factory seatbelt buckle is relative to the car seat base.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The company that makes the extension "seems" very legit, per the website. However, I'm sure that if push comes to shove, Honda would of course say they would have nothing to do with it. In other places I read that by using an extension, the length of OEM belt being used is shorter than it would otherwise be and could affect the tensioner in hard braking/accident situation. It's not often that someone sits in that seat so it's just there for an emergency. You can eventually get the factory latch into the factor buckle if you try long enough and hard enough....it's the opposite that I'm worried about: in an emergency situation if that passenger needs to get out of the car quickly and can't reach the release button to unlatch their seat belt. I suppose that could be true either way, needing to hop in and take off right way but that passenger is still fiddling with the seat belt.

I realized that my photos do not show the "before" state so you can clearly see how the factory seatbelt buckle is relative to the car seat base.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I have a car seat in the middle seat of the back row and two regular sized adults fit on either side. Of course, "regular" means something different to everyone :D

And yes, the CRV is equipped with the anchors for the car seat base latch such that you can put the car seat in any one of the three positions. Although, depending on your specific model of car seat, the latch/base could block the car's seatbelt latches
Which Gen is your CRV and could you please share the brand name / model name for the car seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts