Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 CR-V EX 4WD battery needs to be replaced. I've bought the battery from Costco & was getting ready to replace the battery, but then I read that I need to use a memory saver to maintain power so that my settings are not erased. I don't care if it erases the clock & radio settings, I can set those up manually again. I'm more concerned on possible problems with the anti-theft device, climate control, engine programming & power locks not working.

If it is recommended to use a memory saver, is it better to go with one that connects to a 12v outlet (key has to be in the ON position), or one that connects to the OBD II port ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,886 Posts
I can't answer your specific questions, but I would be reluctant to disconnect the battery with the ignition switch "ON". You risk sending a spike through your systems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a Memory Saver that connects through the OBD port. I use it on all my vehicles mainly so the ECU doesn't have to "relearn". This is the one I use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BHX1X8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 For only $13, why not just use it?

I am not a fan of using one through the 'cig lighter', since most are switched through the ignition and a whole lot of other stuff will be powered with the ignition on.

Can't answer on whether you should or shouldn't use a saver on your model. But I would just because it's easy to do.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I too have a Gen 3 2010. I'm already up to the 3rd battery in it. Last one I installed what a size 35, slightly bigger and more amp. I always joke that the size 51 of the CRV is about the size of a 9 volt battery and doesn't last long. Over the years, I've disconnected the battery numerous time to add option/aftermarket equip. The only thing you should be worried about is the radio code. Make sure you have it on hand before disconnecting the battery. Of course. you will have to reset clock etc after.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honda tech here. No you don't have to worry about locks and such. Clock and radio preset you will have to set again. Disconnecting the battery without a memory saver will clear you ecu readiness monitors. This matters if you live in a area that looks at that data for state inspections. Not ready monitors will be a instant fail.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. I spent hours searching the internet & can't find a definitive answer. Now off to replace my battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts