Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see consumer reports released their top 10 picks for various categories, last week.
Honda didn’t place a single vehicle in their “unbiased “ reviews.
4 of 10 went to Toyota ( surprise) . The CRV was sidestepped by the shoe box styled Subaru forester. It’s hard to believe this publication company isn’t influenced from various money sources as almost all big businesses are, but they maintain an allegiance to non biased honesty.
I, through the years have built a distrust of their “unbiased, neutral “ press releases.
Anyone else question their integrity?

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
613 Posts
why do you care what anyone else has to say? Buy what you like and meets your needs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I see consumer reports released their top 10 picks for various categories, last week.
4 of 10 went to Toyota ( surprise) . The CRV was sidestepped by the shoe box styled Subaru forester. It’s hard to believe this publication company isn’t influenced from various money sources as almost all big businesses are, but they maintain an allegiance to non biased honesty.
I, through the years have built a distrust of their “unbiased, neutral “ press releases.
I am not sure but I think the subscribers are where the information comes from mostly, and I stopped reading them years ago cause they seemed very biased. With that said most anything you read will have toyata out in front and problaby cause toyota's earned it, hard to believe subaru rates so well year after year.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What I found even stranger is during the debate video they said the Forester is the top pick with "seniors"!
I wonder how much they weigh their own testing against the subscriber reviews. Not many people subscribe anymore to CR so I would bet most of their remaining subscriber base are seniors. Most seniors are not going to like the level of electronics and gadgets in the CR-V so I can imagine the feedback from them was not as good as a simpler car like the Forrester.

It's funny that the guy on the right seems to really like the CRV, he mentions it after they pick the Forester and then again at the 13.08 Mark he starts praising it again.

Rob

·
613 Posts
Subaru has always enjoyed a cult following because of its AWD system even though the cars are unreliable.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
CR has been around a long time; I’m pretty sure that if they were accepting corporate money, somebody would have noticed by now and blown the whistle.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,608 Posts
As an auto enthusiast that likes good-handling cars, I care about different things than does CR. But I DO like the reliability results, kind of puts stuff in perspective.

Just remember what opinions are like. (Everybody has one!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
CR is not the place I would look to for Car reviews. They have a pretense to objectivity that I find nauseating and dishonest. They have a very particular reader profile and they cater to their market, same as everyone else.

Now, when it comes to white goods (fridges, toasters, microwaves and such) - I think they're on more solid ground and playing to their strengths.

·
613 Posts
You don't see the CR-V anywhere because CR likes to point out that Honda has had CVT problems

·
Registered
284 Posts
As a seasoned Toyota, Honda and Subaru buyer, I find a lot to like in each. You won't go wrong with these brands.

But I'll say that there's no question in my mind that Subaru has the better performing AWD system, even with winter tires on each of our vehicles. But you pay for that at the pump, and at the drag strip!

Reliability? In our experience the Subaru has been very good, our Honda's a reasonable second place and the Toyota's visit the shop most often. I've gotten a bountiful payoff on the extended warranties on our last two Toyota vans.

Of course, YMMV....

Net: Read the reviews, select the issues most important to you, and purchase accordingly. There is no perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know why anyone would care what some publication or company thinks of something they bought or like. This is especially true if one is already skeptical of them.

CR is as unbiased as CNN is, meaning they aren't, unless you are a follower/fan which then means they will be seen as unbiased. Sure, nobody is completely unbiased yet some people do manage to get fairly close. Companies though that get advertising money won't be in that group.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Try a Google search for "consumer reports vehicle bias" and read some of the information.
Disclaimer: I subscribe to Consumer Reports, and read every issue.

Simple answer: yes, they do appear to have biases on their reviews of vehicles.
But when I am researching vehicles, I go to the Reliability Information they publish, which is gathered from owners of the vehicles, not from their employees driving any of the vehicles.

Of course owners who have been treated badly by a local dealer are probably going to rate their vehicle lower than if they have no problems, or if they have a dealer that takes good care of them and their vehicle.

So even simpler answer: EVERYONE's opinion is biased (even mine!:D )

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
373 Posts
Now, when it comes to white goods (fridges, toasters, microwaves and such) - I think they're on more solid ground and playing to their strengths.
I don't even trust them for white goods. I happen to purchase a Sears Kenmore (Whirlpool) Calyspo Washing machine partly based on the positive reviews in Consumer Reports. The washing machine NEVER cleaned the clothes properly, sometimes smelled musty (yes, I always keep the washing machine door open), and was just an all around terrible choice. There were recalls on this machine, electronic problems, water pump failures, clogging issues, mold, and class action lawsuits. It was almost immediately apparent to me that this washer did not clean the clothes as well as the one this replaced. I have no idea how consumer reports could have rated the clothes cleaning ability of this machine as excellent.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I was looking at their website and I noticed that they say they buy millions of dollars worth of products every year for testing, including many vehicles. I am wondering how do they still finance the operation? I had a subscription up to last year but I cancelled it. I hardly know anybody buying magazines anymore, so where does all that revenue come from?

Rob

·
613 Posts
I was looking at their website and I noticed that they say they buy millions of dollars worth of products every year for testing, including many vehicles. I am wondering how do they still finance the operation? I had a subscription up to last year but I cancelled it. I hardly know anybody buying magazines anymore, so where does all that revenue come from?

Rob
Of course, funding comes from Toyota, Subaru, Audi, GM, Ford, BMW and all who get reviewed favorably. Thanks for wispering conspiracies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,608 Posts
Of course, funding comes from Toyota, Subaru, Audi, GM, Ford, BMW and all who get reviewed favorably. Thanks for whispering conspiracies.
Stop trolling, willya?

CR takes great pains not to be biased. While enthusiast mags like C&D, R&T, Autoweek and Automobile use 'press cars', CR buys their own stuff for their comprehensive tests. (The DO write about Press Cars before new models go on sale.)

On one of their Podcasts, they talked about the buying process which is done by individuals.

That said, like racoon, I use CR as only ONE source of information when investigating potential purchases. Heck, these days, there are lots of dudes with YouTube vids on almost any car you can name. Some have outlandish titles as Click-bait.

·
613 Posts
Stop trolling, willya?

CR takes great pains not to be biased. While enthusiast mags like C&D, R&T, Autoweek and Automobile use 'press cars', CR buys their own stuff for their comprehensive tests. (The DO write about Press Cars before new models go on sale.)

On one of their Podcasts, they talked about the buying process which is done by individuals.

That said, like racoon, I use CR as only ONE source of information when investigating potential purchases. Heck, these days, there are lots of dudes with YouTube vids on almost any car you can name. Some have outlandish titles as Click-bait.
Exactly my point

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I hardly know anybody buying magazines anymore, so where does all that revenue come from?
My subscription includes a printed copy, and a downloadable PDF copy that I read on my iPad, and an account on their website so I can login to their site and search for specific models of products I'm interested in.
Here's their page on vehicle tests:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-how-consumer-reports-tests-cars/

And their financial reports, should you wish to dig through them:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/policies-and-financials/financial-reports/index.htm

1 - 20 of 33 Posts