Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every dealer seems to be adding Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, and a cargo tray. $360. The cargo tray is cheap looking. The wheel locks are worthless. (My daughter bought a used Civic years ago and there was no wheel lock key in the car. She had a flat so I took her to the dealer and he asked what color the car was. Green. OK, here is the key. Apparently they differ by the color of the car. Since everybody keeps them in the glove box where the dealer put them, the thieves (if they haven't already amassed a set of keys) will simply smash the window and tear the glove box open.

I got the dealer to knock off $300 and they decided to leave them on. They seem to be ordering them from the factory/distributor. Wish they would quit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, they did that so they can raised the price on MRSP, which is pretty much a gimmick way for dealer to get more money from you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yup, they did that so they can raised the price on MRSP, which is pretty much a gimmick way for dealer to get more money from you.
The most outlandish dealer add on these days seems to be to put nitrogen in the tires and charge a pretty penny for it. I looked at a new CRV on a Honda dealer lot a few months back that had this and was appalled. ALL their cars had this. Don't remember the exact price but seems it was $200 +-. I looked at the salesman and just started laughing. The salesman started sputtering and trying to justify it and I told him that if I were going to buy a new car, there was no way I'd pay for such a useless add on. Told him I'd been driving for 55 years with plain old, nice FREE air and had done just fine thank you very much.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Some dealers try these tactics. We bought ours from 2 different dealers. One tried no such tactics, one tried several. They insisted that the "Glass etching/insurance" was "dealer mandatory", and even had it pre printed on all forms. I question the legality of some of those tactics, when the states regulate what the doc/misc fees can be. It's a dirty way around that, for a quick money grab. Another one we looked at had all of the above, plus a "dash wood kit". ($600, but it was $80 online) Granted, some of the features people may want - but we should have the option.

We ended up adding all of those things ourselves, aftermarket. (locks, weathertech mats/liner, tail fins, splash guards, door trim, edge guards, tailpipe cap, etc.

Good luck in your search! Check yelp and edmunds for dealer reviews, they are usually fairly accurate from my experience. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The dealer I bought from crams their "value package" down buyer's throats - wheel locks, splash guards, and pin stripes for 800 dollars. I got them to take off $500. In the end their bottom-line price still made it worthwhile, but I agree the practice is the same old sleaze that has earned car dealers their sullied reputations for decades now.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
They did that when I bought my 2013 brand new and I refused to pay for all the add-ons. So, I got $3,000 worth of stuff for free. I think it's absolute bullcrap that they do that stuff. Luckily when I got my 2014 Civic they hadn't done that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As disgusting as this increasingly-common practice is, it's here to stay for a while. Thanks to information available on the Internet the last decade or two, it's now much easier to see what fair trade-in and purchase prices should be. Dealers have had to work around this by finding newer and more creative ways to deceive buyers to ensure their continued employment and feed the greedy investors of extravagant dealerships. My local Honda dealer used to be one of the fairest around, but they keep getting more and more shady with each ownership change. Here's a photo of a window sticker I shot at Tower Honda in Longview, Texas a few weeks ago while waiting on my brother to get his Civic fixed.

Honda's MSRP (including destination and also the same price advertised on their website*) is $17,425.
To that, they add a $3,490 "appearance and maintenance package" that includes the following:

Window Tint - The retail price for window tint around here is $100-$150. The dealer does it in-house for less than $30 for tint and labor.
Nitrogen - Aside from the fact the that the air we breath contains almost 80% nitrogen already, the dealer (assuming they actually deflate the tires then re-inflate with pure nitrogen from a cylinder) costs them literally pennies per tire.
Pin Stripe - Hello? The 70's called and they want their pin stripe back. Dealers hire companies to apply pin stripe en mass to their inventory for dollars per vehicle - it takes just a few minutes and uses a few dollar's worth of material.
Splash Guards - Honda's retail price for these puppies is about $60. Actual dealer cost is about $40.
Cargo Tray - Retail about $120. Dealer cost about $80.

So, the actual dealer cost for this $3,490 package is about $200. That's a 1,645% markup!!! The dealership will tell you this $17K car is priced at $21K. Sure, they'll negotiate to make you feel better, but they'll still expect you to (and a disgusting number of people do) end up paying well over MSRP! And, this is just on the front end before they really suck it out of you in the finance department while most people are none the wiser. It makes me sick to my stomach - just glad it's not MY money people are wasting!

IMG_3171.JPG

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just can't understand what the problem is. It's a free country. Nobody has to buy what they don't want. I always make it clear that I what to buy a vehicle they way it is manufactured and advertised on the company website. No dealer add-ons whatsoever. None. Don't want to sell it that way? I'll go somewhere else.

My money is as good as everyone else's. Have never been turned away yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine required splash guards and nitrogen. I probably would have bought the splash guards.

Wheel locks were never spoken of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just can't understand what the problem is.
The problem is a lack of ethics on the dealer's part.

Sure, you can always go somewhere else in hopes of finding an honest dealer, but unless you live in a large city with a lot of competition, that option may not be available to you which means you're at the mercy of money grubbing vultures. I'm lucky to live in a large city, so like you, I can go down the street to spend my money somewhere else but others may not be so fortunate.

Nitrogen in the tires,... gimme a friggin' break!

·
Registered
7 Posts
All dealers are bull**** to me. I'm understand they need to make a profit too, but don't try to cut a throat. There was one dealer agreed to the price I wanted, then when I came in, their sale representative tried to beat around the bush and tried to upsell me more, etc... I told them I don't have time for this ****, if they couldn't give me the deal they promised then I just walk out. Took that deal to another dealer and got even better deal. My best advice is take your time to shop around, it is tedious but you will save money in a long run.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want in with the USAA price already and the dealer (Leith, Raleigh NC) was even lower. But like I said, they had $361 for the add ons but I told them I wanted them off. It is cheaper for them in terms of paying mechanics to leave them on. (They were still making money anyway.)

The Honda dealer in Rocky Mount NC charges $499 for
- Lifetime Powertrain Guarantee (probably with tons of loop holes.)
- Paint Sealant w Guarantee (buy Klasse sealant, lots cheaper and a great product)
- Interior Protection w/G (buy couple of cans of Scotchguard)
- No oil changes w 5K service (hhmmm, oil changes are now whenever maintenance minder alerts) limit 7 changes
- Free car washes w 5K service. (OK, nice but worth what?)
- No charge loaner cars w 2 hr repair. (Didn't buy a new car to be put in the shop)
- No charge towing up to 50 miles. (See comment above + have it on my car insurance with USAA already)
- Free Rewards Card (Be still my beating heart!!)
- 3 Day/300 Mile Exchange Policy (Not return)
Retail Value $1,995 for only $499 (I figure with the price of a car wash and oil change, it is worth about $420)
+
Accent Stripes $89
Mud Guards $199
Wheel Locks $74 (This dealer didn't do the Cargo tray)
Total Mark Up $899

Better than the Mazda dealer I looked at, $999 ADM (Additional Dealer Markup. No equipment for the price.)

On the subject of nitrogen, zroger73 is dead on, nitrogen makes up 80% of the atmosphere. I would love to see some of the dealers explain how they get the rest of the atmosphere out to ensure the tire is filled with 100% nitrogen! (They can't as they would need a chamber filled with nitrogen to achieve that.) Roger Penske filled his race car tires with nitrogen but the benefit to the average driver is virtually nil.

·
Registered
276 Posts
On the subject of rip offs. After agreeing to a price for a '16 Touring before I ever stepped foot in the dealership, they first tried to pass off an EX-L as a touring and then a '15 touring as a '16. After they finally figured out I want going to be bamboozled, they eventually sold me the right car at the agreed upon price. Sleazy though, and I feel for the other buyers that you know must fall for this crap.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't see a problem. I never had to pay for an option or add-on that I didn't want. Of course they try. That's how they make their living. Same in a restaurant. Anyone here buy drinks they don't want? Of course not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
On the subject of nitrogen, zroger73 is dead on, nitrogen makes up 80% of the atmosphere. I would love to see some of the dealers explain how they get the rest of the atmosphere out to ensure the tire is filled with 100% nitrogen! (They can't as they would need a chamber filled with nitrogen to achieve that.) Roger Penske filled his race car tires with nitrogen but the benefit to the average driver is virtually nil.
Don't you know? After they deflate the tires, they connect a vacuum pump to the valve stem and pull a perfect vacuum on the tire then fill it with 100% pure nitrogen after purging all the hoses. :D

My poor brother always releases the nitrogen fill in tires and refills them with compressed air. He doesn't understand the science, but he owned an Altima a few years ago and swore that the tires vibrated...wait for it...only when they were filled with nitrogen. After picking my jaw up off the floor, I didn't bother making a scene. I just told him, "glad they smoothed out when you put regular air in them", and let it go.

I just can't understand what the problem is. It's a free country. Nobody has to buy what they don't want. I always make it clear that I what to buy a vehicle they way it is manufactured and advertised on the company website. No dealer add-ons whatsoever. None. Don't want to sell it that way? I'll go somewhere else.

My money is as good as everyone else's. Have never been turned away yet.
I've not yet lost a deal over junk fees or markups, either. For those of us who have some knowledge and experience, it's more of an annoying concept. However, they are raping the average customer. Just how much due diligence is one expected to perform before buying a vehicle?

I understand free enterprise, but fairness and honesty would be nice instead of lies and deceit. Dealership employees - particularly "managers" and finance people are very smart. They are constantly adapting to overcome objections from even the most savvy buyers and are experts at making people think they got a great deal and thank them for screwing them out of thousands of dollars. I just feel sorry for the average buyer, but I guess the upside is that the more the average buyer overpays, the less profit they can make off buyers like me and still keep the doors open. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't see a problem. I never had to pay for an option or add-on that I didn't want. Of course they try. That's how they make their living. Same in a restaurant. Anyone here buy drinks they don't want? Of course not.
Restaurants don't set unwanted drinks on your table and add them to your check without asking first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you have ordered alcohol at restaurants/bars, you have invariably been served alcohol that was watered down or had well alcohol served from a premium brand bottle. Also a common sleazy practice, though I'm not sure how any of the restaurant talk is relevant to car dealer practices.

·
Registered
579 Posts
. I just feel sorry for the average buyer, :)
And who is an average buyer? Maybe the ones who complain on a forum after they buy? If they are smart enough to complain later, they are smart enough to watch what they are buying.

What is so difficult to go to Honda's website and see what comes with the vehicle? Could not be simpler. And learn how to say NO.

·
Registered
633 Posts
bought my last 3 vehicles online...find it to be a lot less stress.....They can't force "stuff" on you..... You have to do the research, and find out what you want and stick to it....if that dealership wants to add on other crap..walk away..... I do the research, then state exactly what I want...never had an issue yet....It takes time to educate urself...but knowledge is power......

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Miko, that is what I and my son did, we just said no. I bought my CR-V on May 13th and my son replaced his 200K Mile Dodge Neon with a Civic one week later. Her learned from mom and dad. Told him he didn't want the adds ons and take them off. They were doing to remove the cargo tray and knock off the price of the flaps and wheel locks but they left the tray in so he got it all for free. We got a $100 referral fee in addition. Now the family has two sets of wheel locks that are unwanted. Guess when the weather cools I will go take them off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts