Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another bad experience to report with our CRV.

I thought Honda was reliable, tough, rust free, etc.

Last week I went to change the front tyres at the local tyre shop and could not help but feel appalled by the look of suspension arms and steering rods.

See attached pictures. This is a CRV that was bought brand new 2 years ago and driven only 20,000 miles on UK roads.

At this rate, what be will be left of it in 3 years time? A poof of rust?

Does anybody know if Honda would own up to replacing those components or would then invoke some weird clause in their Warranty terms arguing that those are neither "painted visible components" or "chassis parts"

I just feel cheated by Honda. That + the intercooler + the brake discs tell me that they enjoy a reputation that is all but completely usurped now.

I always laughed at the great reputation they have for motorbikes. I had a few in the past and always rated the quality of Ducatis (yes Italian bikes) much higher. I don't just mean the character of those bikes, I mean the build quality of riding a bike all through winter and being able to undo all bolts without rounding all of them off or having them looking totally rusty.

I thought that the cars were better built, but it looks to me like they are much worse. It is a shame because the CRV is otherwise a good car, but the experience so far has been poor and costly. And that's on a car that is only 2 years old.
Worst is the customer experience.Nobody cares for your problem. If you say you are not happy, nobody takes your number for somebody empowered to call you back. You are always told the guy is not there and you have to call back.

So we'll suffer this Honda for a few more years and for our next car, we will most likely be looking at BMW or other German manufacturers. Be warned before you buy!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know this for sure but I think you'll fine their warranty is only on body panels. Looks like a car that's been driven in salt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it has been driven in salt... but this is the UK, bad weather in winter but nothing totally extreme. Maybe 1 week of snow over winter that's about it.

yes they grit the roads in winter (and I hose it down with cold water every so often) but should it really be that bad in 2 winters?

My old Audi A3 - 10 years old - is not looking half as bad....

·
Everything in Moderation
8,160 Posts
Would frequent undercarriage car wash help with such issue? Just curious. thanks!
Yes, it would help but it would have to be a thorough rinsing. (I do that in the winter with ALL my cars)

BRRR

Despite this, many of the hardware and brackets under my Hondas look a bit rusty (thought the sheet metal underneath is fine)

PS: Many automatic car washes have an undercarriage spray, but the water is recycled (reused). So, it is of less benefit than clean water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts