Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Honda's 1.5L engine as used in the 5th GEN CR-V, Civic and Accord an "open deck" design?

Why do I ask? The forum for our departed '15 Escape, which had a 1.6L Turbo "open deck" design, is full of stories of engine replacements due to coolant loss and resulting overheating. In 2017, Ford changed to a 1.5L, apparently also an open block design, with similar stories of doom. Ford has been replacing some short blocks and some long blocks while these failures occurred during the powertrain warranties, seemingly leaving most owners who are outside of the warranty to go it on their own.

We never experienced any coolant loss or overheating in 6.5 years of this engine ownership...but the percentage of the '13-'19 Escape owners who have reported does seems high.

I'm not at all worried about the Honda engine longevity, just curious.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,760 Posts
I think you would call this an open deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you.

Apparently one theory is that Ford's design allows the cylinders to vibrate just enough that, over time, it can cause a failure or weak spot of the head gasket. I wonder how many current engines are designed this way.

I know, I know. Ford is NOT Honda...I don't remember any posts about Honda engines having this issue.

I had too much time on my hands today.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Let's just say that Honda has a much better track record in reliable engine design. :)

Engine design is one area where Honda engineering really shines in the industry. Which it not to say a Honda engine never fails (no such thing as a "perfect" engine design) ... only that they very much have a history of normal random failures, rather than persistent and consistent failures across the volume of units in the field.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Honda is an engine builder. This is why you find their engines in a lot of race cars -- in various classes.
Ford doesn't build racing engines for various classes?

What you meant to say is that Honda has a lot more turbo charged racing engines across multiple decades that Ford doesn't have.

But they are catching up. They probably produce more 4 and 6 cylinder turbo engines by volume right now than Honda. New GT40 racing engine is a well tested monster

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes... the EcoBoost can be a monster. Honda just has more experience with Indy cars and other classes using high specific output engines. Furthermore, Honda designs their own engines; whereas, for NASCAR, they have other builders like Yates and Roush design and build those engines. In contrast, the EcoBoost is Ford's gold design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts