Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There, I think I already fixed this but here goes. My wife and I went away for the weekend up country and after driving for about 3 1/2 hrs we stopped at a store. On my return our '08 CR-V would turn over great but would not start. Tried for about three minutes, off and on to start but no go. My wife then suggested we read the manual, wow what great idea. In the "Taking care of the unexpected" and on page 319, "The Starter Operates Normally" section it says
There may be an electrical problem, such as no power to the
fuel pump. Check all the fuses. I located the fuel pump fuse and pulled it. It did not look blown however the right leg of the fuse was discoloured, almost a dark brownish colour not clean copper looking. I looked for spare fuses on the fuse panel but I guess Honda doesn't do that so I borrowed the 20 amp fuse from the heated seats and replaced the 15 amp fuel pump fuse. Bingo, the car started right away. Here is the question, can a fuse be bad but not blown. I have bought some spare fuses today from a Honda Dealer so I can replace the fuel pump fuse with the right 15 amp fuse. Any ideas guys and gals?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi There, I think I already fixed this but here goes. My wife and I went away for the weekend up country and after driving for about 3 1/2 hrs we stopped at a store. On my return our '08 CR-V would turn over great but would not start. Tried for about three minutes, off and on to start but no go. My wife then suggested we read the manual, wow what great idea. In the "Taking care of the unexpected" and on page 319, "The Starter Operates Normally" section it says
There may be an electrical problem, such as no power to the
fuel pump. Check all the fuses. I located the fuel pump fuse and pulled it. It did not look blown however the right leg of the fuse was discoloured, almost a dark brownish colour not clean copper looking. I looked for spare fuses on the fuse panel but I guess Honda doesn't do that so I borrowed the 20 amp fuse from the heated seats and replaced the 15 amp fuel pump fuse. Bingo, the car started right away. Here is the question, can a fuse be bad but not blown. I have bought some spare fuses today from a Honda Dealer so I can replace the fuel pump fuse with the right 15 amp fuse. Any ideas guys and gals?
that is very strange that such a fairly new car will blow a fuse. it can happen, anything is possible... but this is the first time i've heard of such a thing.

did you install any gadgets in the car recently? fog lights, new radio, anything electric. just wondering coz if you did, maybe there's a ground or you tapped into the wrong power source.

you should write down all the details when it happened so if it happens again, you can compare the details and get the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
that is very strange that such a fairly new car will blow a fuse. it can happen, anything is possible... but this is the first time i've heard of such a thing.

did you install any gadgets in the car recently? fog lights, new radio, anything electric. just wondering coz if you did, maybe there's a ground or you tapped into the wrong power source.

you should write down all the details when it happened so if it happens again, you can compare the details and get the dealer to check it out.
Yes, I have had this happen a couple of times, a fuse can be defective and pas current for a period of time. If it continues to blow, then you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
There should be extra fuses under the hood in the under hood fuse box. It should give you about 6 extra fuses. Load up on extras. The fuse was probably blown, if the plastic was discolored. It would also be wise to find out where the short occured to blow the fuse, since this is not normal behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts