Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CRV is due for engine and cabin filter change and I figured that I would change these on my own. Is it fine to go with aftermarket brand like Fram for engine and cabin filter? I heard some say particularly for the engine filter you should put original Honda filter as the aftermarket brands may not fit properly. Is there a significant difference between the quality?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I usually get Fram cabin air filters because the OEM ones are very expensive and the Fram is just as good. With the engine air filter I go OEM as the price difference between OEM and aftermarket isn’t very big.

If you go aftermarket make sure to go with a good brand like Fram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
There are some aftermarket filters that may be a sloppy fit, I haven’t found well know brands to have that problem though.

There’s nothing magical about OEM filters, they buy them from a supplier. Fram makes a couple different versions for many vehicles, they work well.

I can’t think of any filters that I will only use OEM.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,182 Posts
I have only had a problems with a EPauto filter, it was so restrictive that the CRV accelerated extremely poorly at full throttle. Swapped with a Purolator and instant improvement. Don't know if someone grabbed the wrong roll of filter media that day at the factory. It was the only time I have had any problem with aftermarket air filters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for
I have only had a problems with a EPauto filter, it was so restrictive that the CRV accelerated extremely poorly at full throttle. Swapped with a Purolator and instant improvement. Don't know if someone grabbed the wrong roll of filter media that day at the factory. It was the only time I have had any problem with aftermarket air filters.

yeah I will go with OEM air filter and aftermarket (Fram) cabin filter

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you go aftermarket make sure to go with a good brand like Fram.
A Fram cabin air filter might be ok, but I sure wouldn't trust any of their engine or transmission filters anywhere near my vehicles. You can do a quick search online for filter brand review tear-downs and it's shocking just how poor the quality that Fram engine filters are.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Prices on Amazon (often fulfilled by an actual Honda dealer) are reasonable enough that I no longer consider aftermarket products for basics like filters.

Reactions: Crv747 and Carbuff2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prices on Amazon (often fulfilled by an actual Honda dealer) are reasonable enough that I no longer consider aftermarket products for basics like filters.
I just went ahead and purchased both OEM filters, cost was only $45 for both.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A Fram cabin air filter might be ok, but I sure wouldn't trust any of their engine or transmission filters anywhere near my vehicles. You can do a quick search online for filter brand review tear-downs and it's shocking just how poor the quality that Fram engine filters are.
The click bait filter brand reviews always compare Fram's cheapest junk filter, they fail to Include the better quality filters from Fram.

Digging a little deeper shows most of their filters are quite good, many near the top is the list for quality and performance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think I will just stick with OEM, Is $45 for both OEM cabin and air filter a good deal?
If you can get both Genuine Honda filters for $45 bucks then i'd say do it. Maybe it's just in my head but when i tried a Parts Plus air filter, my car didn't like it but she definitely like the OEM one or a Wix branded one. As for a cabin air filter, I'd rather have a quality filter because that's the air i'm breathing in so my vote goes to Wix.

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
61 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend FRAM anything to anyone but I would recommend WIX or Purolator or AC Delco, Bosch and Mobil. As noted nothing special about OEM filters or engine oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The click bait filter brand reviews always compare Fram's cheapest junk filter, they fail to Include the better quality filters from Fram.
I'll say Fram's most expensive 'Ultra' filter line is decent (certainly better than the standard orange Fram) but still not great. Anyone interested can search these filters online for themselves to find plenty of non-"click bait" reviews and cut-opens to see how they compare against other filters.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yup, rockauto gets my vote for filters too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts