Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the EX and would like to get my side mirrors and door handles painted. Are these paintable? If so, does the dealer do it or someone else outside do it? My glacier blue metallic is hard to match, so would the dealer be the best bet? please advise. thanks you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called the dealer and they said that since it is an Ew, the side mirrors and door handles have a coating on them that won't let paint stick on. :-(

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mines an EX too. The handles, mirrors, cladding, grille, and tailgate garnish have be painted for over a year. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. When you paint stuff you have to sand it first, so any coating would get taken off anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines an EX too. The handles, mirrors, cladding, grille, and tailgate garnish have be painted for over a year. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. When you paint stuff you have to sand it first, so any coating would get taken off anyway.
so it is paintable? what do you mean by a year?

what i'm worried about is that my paint color is hard to match, and if i take it outside to a dealership alternative, then the paint colors won't match 100%.

·
Registered
427 Posts
so it is paintable? what do you mean by a year?

what i'm worried about is that my paint color is hard to match, and if i take it outside to a dealership alternative, then the paint colors won't match 100%.
Yes, it's paintable. Anything is paintable if you prep it right.

I mean the parts have had the paint on them for over a year.

Any reputable body shop can match the paint, it's what they are in the business of doing.

If you're so worried about the paint not matching, order the mirrors and handles in your color off an EX-L

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's paintable. Anything is paintable if you prep it right.

I mean the parts have had the paint on them for over a year.

Any reputable body shop can match the paint, it's what they are in the business of doing.

If you're so worried about the paint not matching, order the mirrors and handles in your color off an EX-L
I had a dent on my car before and i took it outside and the paint did not match, really. i have to take it to the dealer for them to match up the paint color.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I had a dent on my car before and i took it outside and the paint did not match, really. i have to take it to the dealer for them to match up the paint color.
Well I wouldn't use that place again, if they don't know how to match up paint!!:eek: Obviously they don't know how to blend/feather the paint into the area around the part being painted.

Your other alternative, like MarkyMark said, get the EX-L parts and change them out. If you lived in Ohio, I could do this for you:D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
OH, and of course this this alternative. You can show your continued support for Honda and trade your present CRV in for a brand spankin' new 2010 CRV EX-L and get everything your wanting:D

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,066 Posts
what he is trying to say is, they can be painted, the body shop will scuff it first, and you can add an additive so the primer will stay, and then the paint will stay no problem. If you got something painted before and it was off in colour, the shop should have fixed it, and they were not that good if they let it leave like that. Any reputable shop can di it with no issues, BUT if you dont trust any local shop, buy the new replacement peices from honda already predone in your factory colour. As long as your regular paint isnt old and faded already it will be a perfect match also.

So you have 2 choices, and you can check and see which one is cost effective for you, or whichever one you prefer bassed on your previous bad experience with a shoddy shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll stick to the original replacement parts then. thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cheap way to do this and still as good as professional. Go to o'rielly auto parts in the paint department and give them your color code in between your door jam. They will mix a match spray can for you. I paint my parts and they look awesome. Just make sure to do a good prep job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so I went to another dealer and they said it's paintable BUT the paint will crack/wear out later b/c the side mirrors and door handles aren't meant to hold paint.

So I checked out OEM painted side mirrors and door handles online and they total $521.00

Honda will install all of it for $139 (4 door handles) $176 for (2 side mirrors). So total, I am looking at spending $850.00. I refuse to install them myslef as I will only make things worse.

Is this worth it for painted mirrors and door handles? I think that the black mirrors and handles make my car look cheap. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That's BS that they charge for the mirrors when the door liners are already off for the handles. The mirrors consist of 3 nuts and a coupler, very easy. Now the handles are alittle more in depths.

Too bad you don't live nearby, I would do all that for $50. It would only be about an hour of my time.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's BS that they charge for the mirrors when the door liners are already off for the handles. The mirrors consist of 3 nuts and a coupler, very easy. Now the handles are alittle more in depths.

Too bad you don't live nearby, I would do all that for $50. It would only be about an hour of my time.:D
that's what i told them about the mirrors. if they could just not charge me for the mirrors but no...

i wish you live near me so that whenever i get something in, you can help me install it for cheap labor. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
so I went to another dealer and they said it's paintable BUT the paint will crack/wear out later b/c the side mirrors and door handles aren't meant to hold paint.
That's BS too, any surface will hold paint if it's prepped correctly.

Plaskoflex 2 part epoxy primer will make paint stick to anything plastic.

I'm telling you, just go to a good body shop. Do you have any exotic car dealers in your area? If you do, ask them what body shop they recommend, and go there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
^^ I agree with MarkyMark. I had my old crv door handle, mirrors and bumpers painted. It was not peeking or cracking at all after 2 years when I sold it. If done prepped properly with right materials it will last.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts