Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it possible to have a third key programmed?

11K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  redleader74 
It seems if you were a car thief that you would grab something higher valued than a CR-V. I wonder if the Honda's security is weaker than a Porsche or BMW.
In the article, it said not to use the remote door unlock if you were worried about theft. Does the same code unlock the door as start the car?
Eric this was already debunked in a thread from a long time ago but fear mongering by some seems to be the norm now.

The actual signal to unlock the doors versus unlocking the immobilizer are two different things.
the immobilizer unlock signal is only sent out when you are very close to the car, like maybe 6 feet away from the center console and the FOB in return sends out a very weak reply that only travels a few feet. The key fob is not transmitting a signal all the time, so nobody can just pass you in a shopping mall and get your code.

The car on the other hand is transmitting a weak signal all the time and the FOB picks it up when it gets close enough. The signal from the car is what tells the FOB to transmit its security code. If this was not the case and your FOB was transmitting all the time the battery in the FOB would be dead in a matter of days.

So unless someone has a person standing right next to your car with a relay device they will never get a thing. Secondly the codes are always randomly rotated so the same code cannot be used to start the car again. That means an intercepted code is pretty much useless. Some guy tried something about 3 years ago and created a new system involving blocking the rotating code but that system was evidently flawed and only worked on only a few models. In the end automakers just reworked their newer vehicles to get around the problem. This newly created rotating signal block was what fed into the News cycle about people just walking up and stealing vehicles. This is not to say that it cannot happen with certain vehicles but I doubt it will work on any of the newer vehicles

The signal to open the doors or start the car remotely are completely different from the immobilizer signal in that they are of a much higher power output but they must of course be initiated by the owner. Even if these are intercepted they are also being rotated after each use.

They had a very good documentary on this subject on CNN in which a camera crew was embedded with a group of annoymous car thieves working out of a chop shop. Long story short the owner of the chop shop was basically saying that the new tech is putting them out of business. These guys had the latest electronic systems for breaking into cars but the guys needed to first be inside the car and plugged into the OBDII port in order to use them, which seemed like they first had to somehow disable the alarm system. Then the software they used was very buggy so they spent an enormous amount of time trying to steal the vehicle and then lastly they had to obey the new car theft commandment! Thou shalt never bring a freshly stolen car to the chop shop" The owner told the guys that if anybody bought a freshly stolen car to his place and it had a tracker in it he would put them 6ft under. So the guys who steal the cars now had to drive them several blocks away and then park them for two weeks to see if the police showed up. Why just several blocks? Well they don't want to be in it too long in case the police have been notified and are tracking the vehicle and the two week wait is to see if the owner really has a tracking device. If it's still at the spot two weeks later they then take it to the chop shop.

The owner of the chop said he makes more money just stealing very expensive rims than risking it with cars. He claimed a nice set of Rims could score him something like $3000 without them taking any of the risks of a tracker. He said when they do steal cars it's only the very expensive models that are in demand in certain countries.

Rob

Contrary to what you were told earlier the most stolen car in the US according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau is the Honda Civic followed by the Honda Accord, old models at that. Expensive models do not show up on the top 10.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...en-new-and-used-cars-in-the-u-s/#2a29dd115258

If you don't trust Forbes try CarFax
https://www.carfax.com/blog/10-most-stolen-cars-2015

or Cars.com
https://www.cars.com/articles/are-you-driving-the-most-stolen-type-of-car-in-the-us-1420702920345/
You did read this part of the article

Many of the most stolen used cars are older models that predate the inclusion of so-called “smart key” technology. This keeps a car’s engine from starting unless it recognizes a computer chip embedded within a key or a keyless start key fob. As it is,

AND

far too many cars and trucks are taken by thieves due to an owner’s carelessness. Thousands of vehicles are driven off with little fuss simply because the keys are left in the ignition or the keyless entry key fob is sitting in a cup holder while parked in an owner’s driveway or at the convenience store.

Yes I read the articles and my post stands as-is, the most stolen cars in the US are the Honda Civic and Honda Accord and not expensive models like you stated.
You are just so eager to start an argument that you did not even read my post properly.

I stated: When the owner of the chop shop was interviewed he said that they only steal very expensive cars that are in demand in certain countries.

This has nothing to do with national averages it's a statement by a Professional car thief on CNN.

As for the other part of this post you replied to an inquiry about a car being stolen that used a FOB and provided two links saying "it looks like it". Then you provide links that are talking mostly about older cars with keys and not ones with FOBs being stolen or vehicles were the person left the FOB in the vehicle.

I don't care what you have to say. You start arguments regularly for no reason and are obviously blind to yourself. Have a great day.
LOL next time if your going to start an argument read the post first :whistle:.

You have a great night

i keep the extra FOB in the house and keep foil around it. the one used all the time is dropped in a box by our door to garage w/RFID around it. assume they can block some "reading". And if i don't unfoil the key, the door won't unlock even standing next to vehicle. at least a step in xtra protection is better than none.
I don't think that is really needed as the FOB is not going to send out a transmission unless the vehicle is less than 6-10ft away from it. I have a spectrum analyzer, I could do a test on the weekend to see how close it needs to be. If it is less than 10ft away from the vehicle then I would most certainly put foil around it.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.