Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Honda CR-V 2018 LX (i think it's the baseline version). I understand that one of the higher versions has Honda Sensing which slows down your vehicle if the car in front slows down. I called the dealership and they don't do anything aftermarket.

Is it possible to install this part aftermarket?

·
Registered
183 Posts
imo Honda Sensing may only be marginally helpful if you're about to rear end a vehicle or something else head on. I say this because I've been VERY CLOSE to a car in front of me and mine did not activate braking, only flashed BRAKE on the display. It's a little more helpful on wide open highways with lkas and acc. It's not worth losing that much money over and you can use this a teachable moment to do research next time BEFORE buying a vehicle. Also I've learned that if you plan to trade in or sell the vehicle at some point, in general you lose more then than the difference in the next model up from base.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
imo Honda Sensing may only be marginally helpful if you're about to rear end a vehicle or something else head on. I say this because I've been VERY CLOSE to a car in front of me and mine did not activate braking, only flashed BRAKE on the display. It's a little more helpful on wide open highways with lkas and acc. It's not worth losing that much money over and you can use this a teachable moment to do research next time BEFORE buying a vehicle. Also I've learned that if you plan to trade in or sell the vehicle at some point, in general you lose more then than the difference in the next model up from base.
Honda Sensing can do far more than you have experienced. Of course in the process of doing it you may be scared out of your wits thinking you will crash. I had a person (well, a dumb ass college kid with his head set on and watching his iPad screen) set out in front of me once and it did in fact apply the brakes! Don't underestimate it until its happened to you...it can save your bacon!

BTW...more than a few people make the error of buying an LX due to its lower price. Afterwards they learned they gave up a LOT of good features. Worse yet when they go to sell or trade the car years later they find out that they lose again as the resale on an LX is very low. You pay $2,000 more for an EX but its worth $4,000 more when you sell it. Look up the numbers! Sad to say this but buying a LX is not a great financial choice.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Well the option you had was the engine you chose vs the safety....

We have it and I don't trust it because it's not automatically on with our car. like other cars it is. I wished it was a feature that did not work at 25 mph and higher to set up.

everyone will have a different take on this

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There is a huge difference from a US LX to a US EX. Honda Sensing is an amazing tool and was the exact reason I went up a model.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I only spoke on two specific occurrences for Sensing. I'm fully aware of what Sensing does but it will not prevent you from hitting an object in front of you unless you're using acc at that time. However, even with acc activated, if the vehicle in front of you locks them up then it depends on how far you chose to follow, the speed you're traveling and the rate at which the other vehicle can stop. As for city driving, I turn off most features as I find it very annoying and distracting thus I find it most useful on longer drives on wide open highways where the mind can wander.
I've found, around here anyway, that even with acc set at one bar, you're far enough away that the car in front of you doesn't necessarily get the hint that you want to pass so I find I have to override it to get closer. If that doesn't do it, I also changed out the horns to let them know.
In all 48 states, a district and a commonwealth, the laws are the same. Why do people insist on holding up traffic when there's a clear opportunity to safely move over? Of all the psy/soc studies done, still nobody can answer that one.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I only spoke on two specific occurrences for Sensing. I'm fully aware of what Sensing does but it will not prevent you from hitting an object in front of you unless you're using acc at that time. However, even with acc activated, if the vehicle in front of you locks them up then it depends on how far you chose to follow, the speed you're traveling and the rate at which the other vehicle can stop. As for city driving, I turn off most features as I find it very annoying and distracting thus I find it most useful on longer drives on wide open highways where the mind can wander.
I've found, around here anyway, that even with acc set at one bar, you're far enough away that the car in front of you doesn't necessarily get the hint that you want to pass so I find I have to override it to get closer. If that doesn't do it, I also changed out the horns to let them know.
In all 48 states, a district and a commonwealth, the laws are the same. Why do people insist on holding up traffic when there's a clear opportunity to safely move over? Of all the psy/soc studies done, still nobody can answer that one.
It's funny because I love ACC in town. The low speed follow feature is amazing in stop and go. Set it to 25 and let it do the driving in rush hour.

·
Registered
358 Posts

2017 Touring Canadian Model here- My difference is different models here completely brakes. Only time it is not active is if you are moving less than 3 Miles like slowly pulling out parking lot etc. Regarding Highway driving if car in front of you suddenly stops system brakes faster than an human can- so odds are if the system cannot stop your vehicle neither could you by braking

·
Registered
277 Posts
Honda Sensing can do far more than you have experienced. Of course in the process of doing it you may be scared out of your wits thinking you will crash. I had a person (well, a dumb ass college kid with his head set on and watching his iPad screen) set out in front of me once and it did in fact apply the brakes! Don't underestimate it until its happened to you...it can save your bacon!

BTW...more than a few people make the error of buying an LX due to its lower price. Afterwards they learned they gave up a LOT of good features. Worse yet when they go to sell or trade the car years later they find out that they lose again as the resale on an LX is very low. You pay $2,000 more for an EX but its worth $4,000 more when you sell it. Look up the numbers! Sad to say this but buying a LX is not a great financial choice.
Been driving 40 years with no Honda sensing never hit someone from behind and only 1 small accident making a left turn into traffic.. Problem is people drive to fast, text or are distracted. I have an LX and very happy. I usually keep vehicles 15 years so trade is not important. You
pay more and finance more for a higher tri.vehicle that depreciates quickly and resale is debatable and you facts of 4k more have been challenged before on this site. If you trade in at a dealer you are getting screwed one way or another on the deal. I did trade a vehicle after 8 year to a used car person. I have sold this vehicle and my mothers car and he pays $1,200 than any dealer offer.
Lastly it is more costly to insure a vehicle with these safety items as the repair costs can be doubled for a vehicle with the added technology. My insurance agent advised me because I have an LX I pay less insurancethan the other models. It is actually $100 less a year to insure my CRV than my 2015 Accord with the same coverage. To each their own.

https://autoweek.com/article/technology/new-vehicle-safety-tech-driving-repair-costs

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,681 Posts
Been driving 40 years with no Honda sensing never hit someone from behind and only 1 small accident making a left turn into traffic.. Problem is people drive to fast, text or are distracted. I have an LX and very happy. I usually keep vehicles 15 years so trade is not important. You
pay more and finance more for a higher tri.vehicle that depreciates quickly and resale is debatable and you facts of 4k more have been challenged before on this site. If you trade in at a dealer you are getting screwed one way or another on the deal. I did trade a vehicle after 8 year to a used car person. I have sold this vehicle and my mothers car and he pays $1,200 than any dealer offer.
Lastly it is more costly to insure a vehicle with these safety items as the repair costs can be doubled for a vehicle with the added technology. My insurance agent advised me because I have an LX I pay less insurancethan the other models. It is actually $100 less a year to insure my CRV than my 2015 Accord with the same coverage. To each their own.

https://autoweek.com/article/technology/new-vehicle-safety-tech-driving-repair-costs
You make some valid points, for some people.

I, and many of us here, enjoy driving. I don't look at vehicles as a point A to point B proposition. I really enjoy driving, and enjoy all the features (both comfort and safety) today's vehicles offer. I almost always buy the top trim level.

I certainly won't argue with you or Hans471+ about resale values or insurance costs. And I have found auto insurance costs have too many variables to make blanket statements about pricing... zip code, credit rating, past clam history, insurance company, etc.

Like you said "To each their own".... and I don't say that with any criticism meant. It would truly be a sad world if everyone bought the same vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think Honda sensing is completely amazing. It's actually the reason I bought a new car in 2016 (civic). Literally for that reason alone. Keep in mind I install the comma.ai kit as well. But I am in love with my car knowing it self drives better than any Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, anything other than a Tesla. And for such a small cost. I literally laugh at the luxury vehicles on the road because for my interests, I would enjoy my Honda more than any luxury vehicle on the day-to-day. And that is due to the Honda sensing (and comma.ai)

·
Registered
271 Posts
It will stop you even acc is not active. CMBS works independently with ACC.
Does show break at times on yours when your acc is not active?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts

Yea this is true. The Honda sensing CMBS would have saved my last car if I had it. I was in a Chevrolet Malibu. I was young and wasn't paying attention and I rear ended someone on the highway. CMBS would have slammed on the breaks for me.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Yea this is true. The Honda sensing CMBS would have saved my last car if I had it. I was in a Chevrolet Malibu. I was young and wasn't paying attention and I rear ended someone on the highway. CMBS would have slammed on the breaks for me.
You should pay attention when you drive and its brakes bot "breaks".

·
Registered
277 Posts

You make some valid points, for some people.

I, and many of us here, enjoy driving. I don't look at vehicles as a point A to point B proposition. I really enjoy driving, and enjoy all the features (both comfort and safety) today's vehicles offer. I almost always buy the top trim level.

I certainly won't argue with you or Hans471+ about resale values or insurance costs. And I have found auto insurance costs have too many variables to make blanket statements about pricing... zip code, credit rating, past clam history, insurance company, etc.

Like you said "To each their own".... and I don't say that with any criticism meant. It would truly be a sad world if everyone bought the same vehicle.
Nice to see an intelligent comment and open discussion, more is needed on this site!. I was considering a higher trim but I did not want the 1.5 engine. I like the 2.4 paired with the CVT which is tried and true and I have on my Accord. With the comments on this site I won't be sniffing dip sticks all the time and have plenty of heat which I have with the 2.4.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah totally agree. I drive alot safer now of course. Just saying it would have saved me an accident if I had the system at that point and it's not, not "bot".
Kudos on your safer driving. You're right it's not, not "bot" and it's a lot, not "alot". All I've got but couldn't resist this spot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.