Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just replaced the 1/2 shaft and cv joints on the passenger side of 2004. Everything that I found just showed the upper end sliding onto the intermediate shaft splines. This seemed to work, and everything went back together. My concern is that there's still a gap of a millimeter or so between the sheet metal flange on the end of the 1/2 shaft and the bearing in the intermediate shaft bearing mount. I'm not sure it's exactly the same as what I took out.

Is there some sort of locking feature that I'm missing? I don't see how the thing could come back out with the outboard end bolted in and the spindle in place. I just want to be sure.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes there is a lock ring on the intermediate shaft splines.

All you have to do is grab that inner joint and pull on it and see if it slides back off. A small gap should be there so dont sweat that, just pull it lightly pry like when you removed it just not has hard as to remove. If its stuck on your golden.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm about to replace the CV axle on the passenger side of my 2004 CRV (leaking CV boot). I thought about replacing the 1/2 shaft as well while I'm in there. Did you buy a Honda OEM 1/2 shaft or aftermarket? The honda part costs $350 but the aftermarket is only $62 (Febest brand). Should I stick with OEM for this part?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went aftermarket, but I'm kind of a cheapskate. If I get 100,000 miles out of it instead of the 200,000 I got from the factory one, I'll still be pretty happy. Replacing it wasn't that big of a job. If this one dies it will only take me a couple hours to put in the OEM one next time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds good to me! I'm all about saving money. Do you remember what brand the aftermarket part was that you used? The only aftermarket 1/2 shafts that I've found for the Honda CRV are from the "Febest Auto Parts" company (Germany). They have a US distributor that I can order from. Their parts have mixed reviews, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up compared with OEM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think we're talking about something different. I'm referring to the intermediate shaft that connects between the transmission and the CV axle. The honda part# is 44500-SCV-A10. Did you replace this part as well or just the CV axle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts