Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here.

I'm currently leasing an '18 CR-V EX, as well as a '16 EX that's coming off lease in about six months. I have been driving the '18, and my wife has been driving the '16.

With the older lease up in a few months, I have been thinking a lot about what to get next. Is it crazy not to want to get a '19 just because I already have an '18? Getting a new car is exciting, but getting a car that's identical to one I already have, even if I go with a higher trim, isn't at all exciting. And unfortunately my lease will most likely be up well before the 2020 MMC (although the Pilot and HR-V MMCs were released pretty early this year, so who knows).

But assuming I'm in the position of getting a '19 that's identical to the '18, is it ridiculous not to want to go with another CR-V for the sole reason that I already have an identical one?

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards getting an Accord as my commuter car, with my wife driving the '18, and taking my kids in the CR-V when we go out as a family during the weekend, but I've also considered having my wife get a Pilot, Odyssey, or even a Passport if it comes out in time, or even looking into the CX-5 (probably not, because it doesn't come with remote start) or new RAV4 (probably not, because I hate the Toyota steering feel, but it might be worth looking into since supposedly the new Camry and Avalon handle pretty well).

I'm not necessarily asking for advice... I'm more curious to see if anybody has been in the position of either buying an additional car that was identical to one you already had, and what you chose to do in that situation.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,668 Posts
We had a 2014 Ford Escape, Titanium, and added a 2015 Escape Titanium (about 18 months later) that was an identical car, except for color, because we liked the '14 so much. We still have the 15 Escape along with our 18 CR-V. The Escape hasn't had a new generation since '13, so it was out of the question when we shopped for the car last December, when we bought the CR-V.

If you like the current CR-V, why not get another one, I doubt you will find anything as nice that does as well in the fuel economy category.

That's my take anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

Question, what is MMC?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
First time poster here.

I'm currently leasing an '18 CR-V EX, as well as a '16 EX that's coming off lease in about six months. I have been driving the '18, and my wife has been driving the '16.

With the older lease up in a few months, I have been thinking a lot about what to get next. Is it crazy not to want to get a '19 just because I already have an '18? Getting a new car is exciting, but getting a car that's identical to one I already have, even if I go with a higher trim, isn't at all exciting. And unfortunately my lease will most likely be up well before the 2020 MMC (although the Pilot and HR-V MMCs were released pretty early this year, so who knows).

But assuming I'm in the position of getting a '19 that's identical to the '18, is it ridiculous not to want to go with another CR-V for the sole reason that I already have an identical one?

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards getting an Accord as my commuter car, with my wife driving the '18, and taking my kids in the CR-V when we go out as a family during the weekend, but I've also considered having my wife get a Pilot, Odyssey, or even a Passport if it comes out in time, or even looking into the CX-5 (probably not, because it doesn't come with remote start) or new RAV4 (probably not, because I hate the Toyota steering feel, but it might be worth looking into since supposedly the new Camry and Avalon handle pretty well).

I'm not necessarily asking for advice... I'm more curious to see if anybody has been in the position of either buying an additional car that was identical to one you already had, and what you chose to do in that situation.

Thanks!
Yes I was in that situation. Don't do it (if you're asking my opinion). My wife leased a 14' Camry. She turned it in and leased a 17' Sienna (was pregnant with our third boy, so the Camry was not going to cut it).

I really loved her Camry. It drove great and had decent power for a four-banger. Also it had the most comfortable seat I've ever been in.

I negotiated the lease on her Sienna for 14 hours (long story but we finally came to a fair agreement). I was in the market for a new vehicle so once the Sienna deal was done I test drove the Camry (this was at 9 pm). It had a few updated features (backup camera) but it was essentially the same. I got a screaming deal (I was ready to negotiate a long time but the salesman was pretty tired by that point).

Fast forward five days and I traded it in for a new Legacy. I literally could not sleep at night with my decision. I'm like you where I like the new car with all the bells-and-whistles and I felt like for the money, I was getting the same old. I can't describe the feeling. Since I got such a good deal on it, I was able to trade with nothing lost but that's not common.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Forget to mention a funny part to the story. The Camry had less than 200 miles and was essentially new. I had to go back to the Subaru dealership to pickup my second set of keys and they had the Camry on display at their front doors. They were letting customers see what you get with the Camry compared to the standard options of the legacy.

It reminded me of the old days when people would be displayed in the town's square as an example for wrong doing.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have a few vehicles and have never owned duplicates. I always go with a different vehicle just for the sake of variety and purpose. I would get the Accord or something even faster so that I can drive if I am in the mood for some speed.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,757 Posts
Wifey got her fav brand car -Volvo xc60 navy blue six months after I got a 16 CRV navy blue.
Dam things are so identical at first glance. I yield HP and seat comfort, but win on mpg, trunk and rear seat space.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My brother has one and if you can get over the boy racer looks the Type R is an insanely fun and, get this, practical car. It holds much more than it should and driven moderately gets good mpg. Driven hard, it hangs with Porsche's. Best FWD sports car ever. And you can still say, "I drive a Civic."

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,127 Posts
We had a 2014 Ford Escape, Titanium, and added a 2015 Escape Titanium (about 18 months later) that was an identical car, except for color, because we liked the '14 so much. We still have the 15 Escape along with our 18 CR-V. The Escape hasn't had a new generation since '13, so it was out of the question when we shopped for the car last December, when we bought the CR-V.
2013 Escape hit my brother's Tundra in the back.... airbags deployed and Insur totaled the Escape. $2000 damage to Tundra. Happy you changed to CRV!

·
Registered
653 Posts

Thanks!
If you buy different years of the same vehicle, make sure that all the controls are exactly the same. A family member and I bought the same make/model vehicle that were different model years. The interior looked and felt the same, but the controls were slightly different. Nothing worse than trying to operate a vehicle out of habit only to get unanticipated results while you're moving down the highway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny you posted this. I noticed, recently, three houses in my neighborhood that have "twins" cars:
5th generation CRVs
4th generation CRVs
Priuses

There is something to be said for, "take whichever one is in back!" for those of us with tandem parking instead of side-by-side.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is something to be said for, "take whichever one is in back!" for those of us with tandem parking instead of side-by-side.
Yeah. That's a nice advantage to having the two CR-Vs now. If I go with the Accord, we'd be doing a lot of switching cars before outings.

I guess it's not just two of the same car that I don't like the idea of. It's two of the same car with the refreshed one only a few months away when my lease is up. If I go with another CR-V, for two and a half years, I'm going to be wishing my 2019 were a 2020.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had leased a 13' G37x and once that was up I got into another Infiniti 15' Q40 (same exact car different color) at a much cheaper rate because it was whatever they had left on the lot.

If you can see your lease as an appliance (ie. Washing Machine/Dryer/Vacuum), you could potentially save some money long term since they're still leases. I currently leased a 2018 RDX exactly when the new 19' RDXs launched saving me a lot of money on my monthly payments.

The 18' CR-V was financed so its a long term investment strategy (ie. mostly for highway etc), pay off the car then drive till the wheels fall off or flip for what the market rate is at that time.
I take meticulous details of all my cars in excel keeping digital copies of receipts and date/mileage of when parts were installed (ie. Brakes/new suspension), this also helps with insurance claims which my insurance bumped an extra grand for my 13' Odyssey due to the recent repairs and logs I had provided them (T-Boned into the Odyssey driver door and insurance took it as a write-off totaled etc).

ALSO Honda/Acura/Infiniti allows you to extend your lease by 3-6months if you talk to the dealership where you got your leased car from. Thats what I did with my Q40 before jumping into the RDX. I was waiting for the new Subarus to drop (smaller motors = more savings in gas) and had extended my lease by 3months but returned it within 2 giving me the perfect opportunity to pick up the RDX.
It helps not to mention that you're looking elsewhere for your next lease but in fact you're busy with life/work/family and you want to see when the newer models will come out for Honda etc.

I also had A LOT of unused miles on the Q40 and tried my best to get the most out of it before returning.

Ah and having a 18' RDX & a 18' CR-V makes life a bit easier since the dimensions are about the same. I personally like driving the CR-V to run errands, makes me feel like im saving money on fuel with the small motor.
Also the RDX interior is dated to that of a 16 CR-V.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You know what would be ridiculous? Ignoring your inclination not to buy another one, purchasing it anyway, being dissatisfied, and kicking yourself over it.

Obviously, you're on the fence about this. I hope you take the time to make the right decision for your family. Your money, your opinion. Make YOURSELF happy. You are the one to get into the vehicle everyday, so the opinions on this forum are sort of irrelevant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know what would be ridiculous? Ignoring your inclination not to buy another one, purchasing it anyway, being dissatisfied, and kicking yourself over it.

Obviously, you're on the fence about this. I hope you take the time to make the right decision for your family. Your money, your opinion. Make YOURSELF happy. You are the one to get into the vehicle everyday, so the opinions on this forum are sort of irrelevant.
Right. But I think my reasons for not wanting another CR-V are all emotional rather than practical, which is why I was asking if others found themselves in the same situation. Because I can just as easily see myself ending up with something less practical (such as an Accord, which is harder to load the kids into) and kicking myself over that.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We have gone through this in our own family but found a simple solution. We have our '17 CR-V Touring for me, but then our other car is a '15 Fit EX-L. It works out great for us. My wife prefers the smaller Fit for running around town, as do I. We use the CR-V, our "big car" for trips. Its actually fun switching back and forth as going from the CR-V to the Fit is like getting into a little sports car while going from the Fit to the CR-V feels like stepping up to a big luxury vehicle. You never get tired of one or the other and they are so different that each has its own attractions. Now, my brother took the other path, he and his wife both have CR-Vs, one the higher end and her "beater" which is a basic LX they got used at a fair price. (LX's have very low resale value and you can buy one for a song).

·
Registered
7 Posts

Right. But I think my reasons for not wanting another CR-V are all emotional rather than practical, which is why I was asking if others found themselves in the same situation. Because I can just as easily see myself ending up with something less practical (such as an Accord, which is harder to load the kids into) and kicking myself over that.
In the end you’ve got to want it. Emotional isn’t a bad thing when it comes to making a purchase decision, but it needs to be backed up by practical. If it’s a well made machine but you don’t want it, then it’s not for you. It’s it’s a poorly made machine and you do want it, then it’s also not for you. In life, in general you often need to be able to check off. Let than one box to make decisions that you’ll not only not regret, but also feel really good about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Emotions cloud reasoning..

Also my sister has the same exact RDX as I do, also leased. Hers is 2 months older than mine and when I picked up my RDX I didnt have any emotional ties to it. I just needed it to do one thing. Get me to point A and haul things here and there.

If I wanted a performance car or performance suv I would've opted for one of those but theres not a lot of rock climbing in NYC and to even take it upstate for a weekend or two cant justify me getting anything better.

I dont live with my sister however depending on your lifestyle requirements maybe consider a Nissan Rouge or Toyota Rav4? to change it up, since they're still leases.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
depending on your lifestyle requirements maybe consider a Nissan Rouge or Toyota Rav4? to change it up, since they're still leases.
Coming from the CR-V, I wouldn't even consider the Rogue, as it seems to be an inferior car in every way. I will consider the CX-5 and RAV4, but as I mentioned in my first post, the CX-5 doesn't come with remote start like the CR-V does (and when added as an option, it shuts off when opening the door unlike in the 2017+ CR-V), and I've never liked the way Toyotas have handled... but I will most likely test drive both.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Call it emotion, call it pleasure. No matter how "good" a vehicle is engineered, it needs to put a smile on your face. It will certainly affect your overall satisfaction with the vehicle. An equal component is the dealership and their service department -- that will greatly impact your attitude going forward.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts