Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a horrible experience with my ’17 CR-V and want some thoughts on if I should just say goodbye to the vehicle and Honda.

If this post sounds like I’m jaded, it’s because I am.

I bought it new in June of 2017 because I wanted to know the service history of the vehicle and I could keep it in good condition. What I have is a car that has been to the dealership 10 times for diagnostic and repairs. 23 malfunctions (from major to minor), and now, it sounds like that number is going up because of a fix for the emissions system.

The most recent trip to the dealers service center (and it isn’t over, the one day service is now at day five) is to replace a failed transmission seal, a defective front strut, a malfunctioning blind spot sensor and paint peeling off the back hatch.

I wish these were the only problems, but the list goes on and on; I will include everything that has broken at the bottom of this post.

Just to make it worse, today the service advisor lied to me on the phone and didn’t even attempt to cover it up (I asked about the defective transmission seal and if the transmission fluid was replaced. I could hear the service advisor ask another staffer ’did we replace the fluid’ and a response ‘we replaced what fluid spilled when we took the transmission out’ and then said service advisor tells me ‘we replaced the fluid’). And they are only replacing the defective strut on the passenger side and are acting like it won’t impact how the suspension is now balanced (brand new strut one one side and another strut with 35K on the other). This isn’t the first issue I’ve had with the dealer, but they are the only Honda dealer in the area.

Between the car being in the shop numerous times and issues with the dealership, I think I am done.

The only reason I’m even considering keeping the car is because I was sold an extended warranty (not through Honda), but I question with all the parts that have already broke, do I want to deal with the headache anymore?? And what will this extended warranty really cover; I know what I was sold but these companies have a slick way of getting out of paying.

I really don’t think this car is going to make it to 50,000 miles without a major component shelling out.

Is it worth the headache anymore?

I’ve driven a car to 230,000 miles, a truck to 350,000 miles, and the total problems from both vehicles totals to six…SIX!

List of broken parts and problems:
1. Cruise Control System/Honda Sensing Failure
2. Seized front drivers-side strut mount
3. Driver side mirror stop heating/defrosting (dealer couldn’t fix on this trip because they said the mirror wasn’t suppose to heat)
4. Gearshift button broke (required a second trip to get fixed)
5. Dealer drove my vehicle out of their garage while a hail storm was ongoing and parked it (where it continued to get hailed on - dealership claimed they were not responsible, even though they literally drove my car out of a garage and immediately into a hailstorm happening at their garage)
6. Touch Screen Issues (dealer couldn’t replicate)
7. Underbody shield fell off
8. Gas smell in cabin when idling after short trips (dealer said was normal)
9. Gas smell in engine oil (dealer said it didn’t smell like gas)
10. Driver side mirror heating/defrosting issues repaired (six months after initial complaint)
11. Touch Screen Issues (dealer couldn’t replicate).
12. Underbody shield fell off…again (dealer said I had to hit something but there were no scrapes on the metal shield to indicate I did, plus I think I would know if I hit something that damaged it)
13. Tires wore out at 28,000 miles (not a big deal, but they should have lasted longer)
14. Strong gas smell in engine oil, dipstick shows car’s operating engine oil range was too full
15. Auto High Beam failure
16. Battery failure (at 32,000 miles, warrenteed)
17. Rattling from passenger side dash (dealer couldn’t replicate)
18. Driver side window didn’t want to roll down (track was dirty and needed cleaned, dealer fixed)
19. Touch Screen Issues (dealer couldn’t replicate)
20. Transmission seal failure (torque converter to transmission, required subframe and transmission to be removed)
21. Failed passenger-side front strut (this was the rattling I was talking about in point 17 -- I showed service tech a video clip I took with the rattling this time and they found the strut had leaked out all the fluid)
22. Paint failure/rust on rear tailgate (appears to be cause by a large air bubble in the paint that burst, dealer is assessing, will probably state I caused it, seems to be a reoccurring theme)
23. Driver side blind spot sensor malfunction (the sensor would indicate traffic in blind spot but nothing is actually there, will stay on for several seconds with nothing in the blind spot, dealer is assessing)

After reading through this list and knowing I've hard the car less than 18 months, I think I just talked myself into selling it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would make a fuss and ask to see the manager or someone up top. Then I would also send Honda corp the list of repairs and trips back to the repair service center. I think i may even push for a new car since you have a "lemon." Yes, a hard push but to consider the time and headaches you have spent, you are not even close to being a happy camper. After warranty is over, will more problems pop up? This is when you will have a bigger list of problems and an empty wallet.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If I had suffered as much trouble with a car as that I would also sell it pronto. Sorry to hear of your experiences. If these problems started early on it would have been better as you could have Lemon Lawed the car. Selling it will be a loss financially.

Meanwhile my daugher-in-law just picked up her new 2019 CR-V and loves it. She has long admired our '17 Touring and had to have one of her own. They had been long time Toyota buyers but made the switch to Honda when they got their 2016 Fit and now their CR-V. That brings the family new Honda buys up to 36 or 37 vehicles now. All but one have been great. The one bad one there was some questioning on as its owner had the hots for a new BMW and some think he "created" problems with the Pilot so he could get his wife to trade it in on that new X-3.

But again, we have all had good experiences with these cars. If I had suffered through with what you describe I would be doing as you seem to want to do and parting ways. Actually, being a car guy, I would have dumped it before now! I went down that road in the 1990's when I went through two new Chevy Blazers in four years. Lemons both! Been there, done that. Will never ever own GM car again!

I do feel your pain and sorry you got a bad car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the idea of the car. It drives well, its good on gas and suppose to be safe...but the reliability issues have me so frustrated. Even if I get the dealer to do something, I'm not their biggest fan. I wish I could blast them on social media, but it isn't the smart thing to do...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUT! I bet they will be able to replicate the problems I've had if I'm paying cash versus warranty work lol

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Definitely look into what the lemon laws are where you live, and if it applies to your situation.

And have you contacted Honda Corporate directly? The contact information is in your Owners Manual.

And I would not sell it until you've figured out whether your vehicle could be considered a 'lemon', and if it is, you should ask Honda to buy it back from you.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would get rid of it but I would first try the lemon laws and see if you can get your money back.
No way would I deal with all those problems. That vehicle is the definition of a Lemon.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
SOrry to hear and good luck. the choice is all yours not ours do the right thing and be happy it is just a car. end

·
Registered
741 Posts
90% of your complaints are dealer related. However, some of your complaints are just that, complaints and the dealer can't do much about it. Do you really believe the dealer needs to change out your other non-defective struts? Sure, one will have 18 months of wear, but Honda isn't in the business of replacing things that are not broken. Honda builds good cars, unfortunately Honda dealers have a reputation for poor customer service and that's hurting the brand more than anything.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,781 Posts
While clearly the dealer's lack of ability and care is to blame for many of the complaints, and I have often advised people to shop dealer service Dept. There comes a time to move on.

When you replace it, make sure the next car doesn't come from another place owned by the same chain.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Sadly this is common among most new vehicles.

Gas smell is definately not ok and a known issue to the entire planet.

Some stuff is "that's why a warranty exists" but that list is a bit rediculous

Your dealership SUCKS.

Dont expect anything with that warranty as its private company, not Honda. NEVER buy extended warranties that are not something with the automotive brands name on it. They are a scam more or less.

If it was me I would contact Honda and tell them the situation. These new CRVs are known to have issues and a fair amount of them. See as I wouldnt want to walk away from Honda over 1 bad vehicle line (not solely your CRV but the new CRVs in general) may be able to get into a different Model if you want.

If you choose to switch brands, do your homework because none of the American brands are doing worth a crap either. Those bull**** commercials chevy has been putting on in recent years are exactly that, bull****.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
I say sell it private party, so you don't take a loss. Otherwise I would keep it since you'd take a significant loss at a dealership. Once it's paid off then sell or trade it in and all that money will go towards a new vehicle. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
I say sell it private party, so you don't take a loss. Otherwise I would keep it since you'd take a significant loss at a dealership. Once it's paid off then sell or trade it in and all that money will go towards a new vehicle. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
In some states, the Sales Tax savings on trading in vs selling privately will negate much of that difference.

Example: in AZ you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and the new car purchase. Tax on ~$25,000 in AZ would be about $2,150. Not small change.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The OP could look at the new 2019 Honda Passport, not as large as the Honda Pilot, but still a 5 passenger vehicle like the CR-V. The Passport doesn't have the 1.5T from the CR-V, but does have the newer infotainment system, which works really well. Seems that would cover 50% of the complaints listed in the first thread. The other 50% can be fixed by not going back to that horrible Honda dealer.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts