Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on purchasing the 2017 CRV in August or September of this year. Does anyone have any idea when the 2018 will be out? I always thought new cars typically come out September/October, but it seems like the 2017 didn't make it to the show room floors until late December.

I really like many of the features of the 2017, but was wondering if it made more sense to wait to see what the 2018 has in store. However, I don't want to wait until December or January before purchasing. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the 2018 would be worth waiting for for possible updates "fixes" to the current model.

Anyone care to speculate what may be fixed/upgraded to the 2018 model? Also, what is a reasonable time frame to expect the 2018's to start showing up at the dealerships?

Thanks

~Dee

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think the options on the table are a new head unit (doubtful, but possible; I expect that won't change until the mid-cycle refresh), a hybrid drivetrain (looks physically possible, but the current low price of gas may not support it). Other than that? Tweaks to options...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do recall reading somewhere that there may be a 3rd row seat which is not something I'm interested in. I will be downsizing from a pilot because I no longer need the extra seating. I would definitely rule out the 2018 if I knew for sure it would have a 3rd row seat.

I would like to see the infotainment system changed to look more like it was integrated into the dash. Right now it looks as if it was a little bit of an after thought. Almost as if it was removable and one could pop it on or off. It's not a deal breaker for me in the 2017, but definitely kind of sits out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honda has introduced a new generation of the CR-V about every 5 years since 1995 so you are not going to see anything but very minor tweaks until 2021, especially considering the exceptional reception this 5th generation of the car has received.

I live in Toronto so I am able to enjoy some of the options not available in the US but could easily be introduced in the US (especially since US CR-V's are also manufactured in Alliston, ON, an hour north of where I live) such as:

- panoramic roof
- heated outboard rear seats
- 12V cargo area power port
- standard heated steering wheel ($400+ extra in the US)

Super nitpicking here but I'd like to see (some of these would only be available on the Touring):

- usb data port to the left of the 12V dashboard power outlet
- pocket on the back of the driver's seat (currently only one on the back of the passenger's front seat)
- memory button that remembers driver 1 & 2 power lumbar and mirror positions
- cooled front and rear seats
- front passenger lumbar support
- more interior colour options (I wanted the light grey leather interior but they only offer what I think is the too yellowish ivory here and they don't offer it on the Modern Steel Metallic which I have purchased)

Comments about the more mechanical aspects of the machine, ie engine, wheels, etc is outside my circle of competence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That reminds me. I'm interested in the Modern Steel Metallic, but I'm not thrilled with the one interior option. I wonder if they'll offer black leather as an option in the 2018 version.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If history repeats, it'll be just about identical to the 2017, with any bugs or quirks worked out. I bet you see the 2018 late Sept/Early Oct., since the factories wont need to be complete re tooled as they were for 2017 production year. Maybe something like a new color, or changes to the head unit software?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I do recall reading somewhere that there may be a 3rd row seat which is not something I'm interested in. I will be downsizing from a pilot because I no longer need the extra seating. I would definitely rule out the 2018 if I knew for sure it would have a 3rd row seat.

I would like to see the infotainment system changed to look more like it was integrated into the dash. Right now it looks as if it was a little bit of an after thought. Almost as if it was removable and one could pop it on or off. It's not a deal breaker for me in the 2017, but definitely kind of sits out.
Funny, I thought exactly the same about the infotainment system when I saw the 2017 CR-V the first time at the Toronto Auto Show. I thought it looked like an afterthought, could pop off and almost like they just stuck an iPad to the dash. I notice thought this more when looking at the dash from the side of the car than when sitting in the driver's seat. Didn't affect my decision to buy the car though as there was a lot more about dashboards and other aspects of the competition that I did not like.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That reminds me. I'm interested in the Modern Steel Metallic, but I'm not thrilled with the one interior option. I wonder if they'll offer black leather as an option in the 2018 version.
Possibly as the black leather interior is all you can get in Canada on the Modern Steel Metallic which I am buying.

·
Registered
95 Posts
rims are ugly. esp on the ex-l/touring. i would gladly get the one without the black trim on it from the lower model if they decreased the price.

The 19s that are optional official honda accessories are nicer/passable and go well with the style of the vehicle. the new 17 cx5 i believe come with 19s correct me if im wrong on the top trim

other than that, see them adding heated rear seats and pano roof for the touring. just to get people to go with the 18 instead of opting to save on getting a better deal on what would essentially be an unchanged 17 model now. but to many like myself. i would love to have heated rear seats for my kids and pano roof.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the wheels. I think they are distinctive, not unattractive, and help the car stand out. (And they are one easy way to tell them from a Gen 4! If you can't see the tailights or the wheels, telling the difference at a glance is not easy!)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bet they'll raise up those bag hooks about four inches, and make them usable. Wouldn't mind seeing a tuning knob, too.

Geoff
I use the tunein radio app on my iPhone to listen to radio stations and often just listen to podcasts or my own music. Everyone needs to change the volume and most people like an easy way to do it, hence the number of complaints there was no such a knob and therefore it's return. I do not think there is the same demand for a tuning knob because of how people use audio in a car in this day and age and doubt very much it will ever return on this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If Honda does their normal cycle thing the 2018 will pretty much be same as 2017. Look at the past history of their models. I got a 2012 and wondered if I should have waited. The 2013 was the same car. Same on our 2015 Fit, they have not changed it.

Normal flow is a five year cycle with a "mid-model" refresh. It costs a lot of money to design a new car and set up all the production facilities. A company had to recover its costs and it costs a LOT to totally redesign a car as Honda did with the new CR-V.

I will most like do just like I did with my last CR-V (2012), drive it for five years and then pick up the new model when it comes out in 2022 or whenever. I loved my 2012 and was even tempted to go with the "refreshed" model in 2015 or 2016 but I knew the big change would come in 2017 as it did, right on time. So, why wait?

If I were buying a car in August however I would wait for a deal. Word on the street is car sales are cooling. Meanwhile Honda geared up three plants to build the CR-V as they expected to sell big numbers. Later this year more favorable deals will certainly be found. I got my 2017 in February as I knew the resale value of my 2012 would be dropping if I waited until the price of the new model came down. I was right about that. It all is a wash in the end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sometimes only 1 feature is added but can be huge.

Example is the Honda Pilot. The latest generation. 2016 I believe? No android auto and apple car play. Honda said nope, no firmware or update will add it because of something in the hardware lol. Hard to believe that really. They said something on the microphone.

Anyways, 2017, the Pilot--correct me if im wrong is near identical but one huge added feature----of course. Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

Pano roof would be huge on the CRV. But I feel they will also add heated rear seats. the New Mazda CX5 2017 is trying to be more luxury and above the rest in this class. They want to match lexus, acura, in terms of quality and features. Yet lack many features the CRV has. And if Honda HAD the pano roof now in USDM market for the 2017 crv it would really make the new cx5 even more lacking in features than it already is. Oh and the 17 cx5 does have heated rear seats. So I'm sure Honda might be kicking themselves for not adding at least that in the USDM version in 2017.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm betting they won't change much because it will sell well left as is. Maybe some different interior/exterior color combos, wheels, and they'll wait no longer than a year or two before they include the safety bits on the LX.

I do think they'll add the pano roof and other goodies offered in Canada in the future, but not until at least 2019. They'll also make the touch screen larger (it already looks a bit dated with the size of the actual screen compared to the bezel).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts